g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Because Managers can get sacked at the drop of a hat, their contracts are far less stable. He also had a release clause.
Quite simply the players are subject to FIFA rules whereas managers arent

Rojofiam

Good I am glad. There is a weird phenomena in football where once someone manages a top club, no matter how poor a job they did, they seem to the go on a never ending streak of good jobs, regardless of how they perform in any of those jobs. Poch did good at Spurs, at PSG he was exposed as not good enough for that level. And it seems everyone has realized this, no one wants to touch him with a 10 foot poll and you will now occasionally read articles about how he isn't good enough. In the past, once he had that PSG job he was probably pretty much guaranteed Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, etc, etc. at some point.
I don't think there's a single manager in the world that should be judged on how he did at PSG. :lol:

Kearnkoff69

Too bad. It's a bummer as I really liked watching Brighton under Potter, and also because I think he'll do well at Chelsea. Brighton must be devastated to lose him at this stage of the season.

littlepeasoup

Was it a big payoff then to Brighton? In one fell swoop they've picked up Potter and *all* his backroom staff. At least we had the decency to poach a manager with a whole summer for his predecessor to get some good work done. Proper cnutish from Chelsea tbh.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Who else has been interviewed for the job? You’ve literally hired Potter within 24 hours of sacking Tuchel :lol:
Clueless todd thought it's wise idea to rely on a coach to bring in players worth 300 mn and in the process he didn't allow the coach time to work on his squad to prepare for the season.

Then finally window was over in next five days he sacked the coach and appointed Potter. Because he think Potter is new hair having pep. :lol:.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was it a big payoff then to Brighton? In one fell swoop they've picked up Potter and *all* his backroom staff. At least we had the decency to poach a manager with a whole summer for his predecessor to get some good work done. Proper cnutish from Chelsea tbh.
£16m to Brighton and £15m to Tuchel and his staff.

Strootman's Finger

Would you have said the same thing if we hired him when we sacked Ole last year?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hey, at least we didn't have him going on strike!

TheReligion

Abusive
Clueless todd thought it's wise idea to rely on a coach to bring in players worth 300 mn and in the process he didn't allow the coach time to work on his squad to prepare for the season.

Then finally window was over in next five days he sacked the coach and appointed Potter. Because he think Potter is new hair having pep. :lol:.
It’s very strange how it’s all unfolded. What do you think has happened?

avgp_1

Dont like this at all. His assitants and other coaches should be joining him I guess. Where does that leave Brighton though?

pascell

Brighton clearly livid
I'm not surprised, lost Dan Ashworth to Newcastle and now Potter, his backroom staff and assistant head of recruitment. They have a lot of big shoes to fill if they're going to carry on on the upward trend.

Personally I felt they'd drop a bit in the next few seasons as they didn't have Ashworth identifying talent, now I feel they definitely will.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's a lot of staff to lose. Interesting they're taking the recruitment staff too
I'm not surprised, lost Dan Ashworth to Newcastle and now Potter, his backroom staff and assistant head of recruitment. They have a lot of big shoes to fill if they're going to carry on on the upward trend.

Personally I felt they'd drop a bit in the next few seasons as they didn't have Ashworth identifying talent, now I feel they definitely will.
I think taking the head of recruitment is more evidence that there’s not been a plan from Chelsea. Just make it up as they go.

FatTails

What a shame. I like him. He’s going to fail miserably there.

littlepeasoup

And what happens when he goes into Chelsea and isn't immediately successful? They going to give him a few seasons to really establish himself like they did with Tu... never mind.

redom

Did fantastically well with Brighton and if he can somewhat replicate that with Chelsea then it'll be a smart appointment, unfortunately.

Of course there's going to be plenty of new challenges for him, having a lot less prep time in-between games and opposition being less inclined to go toe to toe with his team will take some adjustments but he's got the advantages of a much deeper squad and much more resources to call upon so if he can get the players onboard and build something I think he'll do very well.

Here's hoping he crashes and burns though.

Fts 74

One thing that's often thrown around with managers like Potter who have done really well with lower/mid table teams is can they handle the egos and with past experience that Chelsea dressing room is full of it.

I'm delighted we got Ten Hag, but I must admit Potter would've been one of my preferred picks if we didn't land Ten Hag.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

Strootman's Finger

And what happens when he goes into Chelsea and isn't immediately successful? They going to give him a few seasons to really establish himself like they did with Tu... never mind.
In fairness to Chelsea, it's a completely different club now. Their summer seems almost more disastrous than ours, however them hiring Potter does give the impression there is some sort of plan where they want to build something long term, which does coincide with a lot of their summer signings.