Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

GreatDane

Everyone was saying he deserves an opportunity at a big 6 club now has taken that opportunity you guys are still moaning. What is it you actually want? I swear football fans have no sense :lol: :lol:
Just 'cause we don't need him doesn't mean others can have him, do'h! :wenger:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hope Potter gets reamed by every team he faces. Liked him at Brighton, can’t get behind someone leaving and taking the entire staff 6 matches into a season. Gutted the entire Brighton staff, not sure how they’re expected to compete
They’ll poach another club’s manager and gut their coaching staff and that club will do the same. It’s football. Managers leave for other clubs

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone was saying he deserves an opportunity at a big 6 club now has taken that opportunity you guys are still moaning. What is it you actually want? I swear football fans have no sense :lol: :lol:
The masses: Potter deserves a top 6 job.

*Potter joins Chelsea*

The masses; ‘oh no not that one’

CM

Potter is a departure from Chelsea's usual MO but I do think he can get them going. He's already worked with Cucurella, I'm sure he'll be keen on players like Fofana and their wing-backs, and he'll probably extract more from their young players like Gallagher and Broja too.

I'm interested to see how this one pans out, but also a bit annoyed they didn't stick with Tuchel for a while longer because that might've pushed them out of the top 4 picture.

GreatDane

They’ll poach another club’s manager and gut their coaching staff and that club will do the same. It’s football. Managers leave for other clubs
You know, it's okay for you guys to be happy you got Potter and still feel a bit for Brighton.
You all act like it's no biggie that you just fecked their season :lol:

Idxomer

A manager taking the whole staff and head of recruitment doesn't happen a lot.

Yeah, they've been well compensated but Chelsea have messed up their season.

JeffFromHK

He won't last more than 3years for sure, like all the previous chelsea managers in the last 20 years

BigRon1985

The guy has got balls of steel to take the job on but I predict a Moyes type disaster...........

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You know, it's okay for you guys to be happy you got Potter and still feel a bit for Brighton.
You all act like it's no biggie that you just fecked their season :lol:
I have expressed that sentiment to be fair.

Feel a bit sorry for them actually. Their high flying season could be screwed because of the nonsense that is going on at Chelsea.
That doesn’t mean the reality of football isn’t still the reality. Brighton will go and poach someone else now, maybe Ange and if that happens then Celtic’s high flying start to the season will get derailed. It’s the nature of the game.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
An obvious downgrade from Tuchel. Think they got a bit overly excited in giving him a 5-year deal as well.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
A manager taking the whole staff and head of recruitment doesn't happen a lot.

Yeah, they've been well compensated but Chelsea have messed up their season.
He didn't take the whole staff or their head of recruitment.

He took 4 coaches and the assistant head of recruitment. It's a lot but no need to make stuff up.

Wheato

Not sure if this was the right move for him at this stage in his career. I think that there was another level that he needed to experience before going to Chelsea.

He's proved himself excellent at making something out of nothing. But the reality at Chelsea is to make something out of something. Challenging for titles, instead of just taking part in them. A significantly different mindset. And a dressing room full of big ego's and players with the medals to back it up.

You look at all of the top coaches at the biggest clubs and they have all won stuff with their previous clubs. They arrive with an entourage of dedicated experts who are loyal to them and know how to win.

All of these things were labelled at OGS and eventually unravelled, as he tried to build a backroom team of Carricky, Fletchie, Fred the red and papa smurf.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Good appointment I hope. Like his work at Brighton and hope that working with better players and being heavily backed in the market, will bring success

GreatDane

I have expressed that sentiment to be fair.

That doesn’t mean the reality of football isn’t still the reality. Brighton will go and poach someone else now, maybe Ange and if that happens then Celtic’s high flying start to the season will get derailed. It’s the nature of the game.
Has missed your post, so that's fair yeah.
Just saw other Chelsea fans downplay the situation from Brightons viewpoint.
It's business and Brighton will have to do the same. I don't have any special feeling for them but I feel for the supporters, they went from an exciting season ahead to... well, this.

largelyworried

3 months without a home goal, 14 games without a win…last season.
It’s such a huge risk but it’s not being reported as such.
Plus a run of 6 defeats in a row at one point last season. Also their average goals scored in the last 3 seasons was about 40. Burnley averaged 37 a season over the same period.

He did a lot good don't get me wrong, and could have a really high ceiling. But I agree, there is a lot of risk around this appointment. This is being described like its a no brainer.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Can we please do a sweep on what month he'll be getting his 5-yr payoff? I'm going for Feb 2023.

All the crap we've endured recently and now I'm loving what's happening with Liverpool and Chelsea. Arsenal to follow soon too. No way will he last at Chelsea. No way. Can't wait for the meltdowns.

Need to see what the Chelsea fans make of this.

SouthernRedDev

Good luck to him, Chelsea get through so many managers he was bound to end up there eventually, whether he ends the season there shall be interesting to see. 6-8 months is the life expectancy of a Chelsea manager, so if nothing else he will get one hell of a payoff to terminate his 5 year contract. When was the last Chelsea manager that completed the duration of his initial contract?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, I rate this dude and if we fail to get our act together, I'd be hoping he denies Pep his 5th, 6th or 7th league title.

As for now, we were properly done by the timing - playing Brighton with him in charge and will play Chelsea after he's had time to work while Spuds are the exact opposite

RedCurry

He could go on to become their longest lasting manager. Hope he gets it horribly wrong right at the start and gets sacked.

UpWithRivers

Is it only shitty because it’s Chelsea?

You have a British manager everyone wanted to be given a chance at a big job joining one of the most hated teams in the league. So now people don’t want it to happen. Utterly bizarre. Had we gone for Zidane, Pochettino or a young hip up and coming foreign manager there would be a small section of people saying we should have looked at a Potter. So it looks to me like Chelsea can’t actually win in the eyes of the public.

Will be interesting to see peoples opinion of Potter plummet just because he is at Chelsea, if the deal gets finalized.
Its nothing to do with the fact its Chelsea. Its that its 6 games into the season. They planned and built the team pre-season after losing a lot of players and then bam 6 games in its all screwed up. Yeah he had a release clause but do you really have to screw over your old club? Yeah you can say but they could have sacked him at any time but thats for valid reasons i.e he is failing at his job. Leaving Brighton 6 games in is like sacking a manager after winning 6 games in for someone else. Its a completely different thing. And 16 mill compensation is fk all. They could have waited to Jan or summer or at least till they get a new manager. I know that its business and its better for Chelsea and Potter but at the end of the day they fkd over Brighton. Thats a fact.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What must the players be thinking? I'm sure the new guys signed because of Tommy Tuchel. Imagine just playing a couple of games for a manager you committed 5 years to, just to see him exit stage left.

I hope that club becomes embroiled in turmoil. They really deserve it to be fair.

TheReligion

Abusive
An obvious downgrade from Tuchel. Think they got a bit overly excited in giving him a 5-year deal as well.
Yeah I do think they’ve rushed the decision and basically given Potter what he wants.

Say that to a Chelsea fan though and they’ll tell you this has been meticulously planned by the club…

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I like the guy and his work at Brighton, just a shame he went to Chelsea. Good for them!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's got a 5 year deal so when he inevitably gets scaked he'll have a nice few million payoff to soften the blow and set him financially for life

In the meantime he's got a top job and the chance to announce himself on the big stage.

He's got nothing to lose.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Gran's sides have at most scored 42 goals in a season, yet supposedly plays exciting football, never had a positive goal difference, 15th, 16th and 9th place finishes. Gran had some great players as well on his Gull sides. Overrated flavor of the month mid/lower table English manager.