Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I totally agree with you, especially on Auba.

What was the point in signing him if he doesn’t get on the pitch tonight when chasing the game?

Bizarre
He only signed to play for Tuchel who was sacked a week later.

He's completely the wrong prototype for Potter as a CF. He was getting some really good play out of Welbeck this season, not many goals but his constant selfless runs was creating endless space for Trossard. Aubameyang simply hasn't got that mobility anymore.

I'm actually surprised he hasn't played Pulisic in that area yet. He was playing well centrally for Lampard a few seasons ago before his injury problems.

Chief123

He’s a good manager I think but a terrible fit for Chelsea. There is nothing about his career that suggests he suits Chelsea’s traditional philosophy of buy peak players, sack the manager and live in perpetual cycle of boom-bust.

I understand it’s really hard to reject a Champions League club with that budget, but Potter’s taken a risk with his meticulously crafted reputation by taking on the Chelsea job. Who comes out of the Chelsea job smelling of roses? Very few.
Yeah I don’t blame him for taking the Chelsea job as he may not have got an offer at a big club again. But it always felt like it was a big step too soon. He may still come good as he needs to be allowed to bring his own players in but it depends on how trigger happy the owners get. The sacking of Tuchel with an element of irrationality doesn’t bode well for Potter’s job security but we will have to see.

The only issue I have from going from Brighton to Chelsea is the dynamic of the opponents is the complete opposite. Potter probably set up at Brighton with majority of opponents coming at Brighton with very few teams sitting back against them. At Chelsea it’s the complete opposite. The tactics at Brighton can’t neccessarily be implemented at Chelsea.

KeanoMagicHat

Yeah I don’t blame him for taking the Chelsea job as he may not have got an offer at a big club again. But it always felt like it was a big step too soon. He may still come good as he needs to be allowed to bring his own players in but it depends on how trigger happy the owners get. The sacking of Tuchel with an element of irrationality doesn’t bode well for Potter’s job security but we will have to see.
Yeah and I thought they had a bad transfer window. Reminded me a bit of some of ours under Woodward. No real plan, buying players for too much money, and the wrong players in positions they don’t need. Potter inheriting that team and has to deal with it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
And to think most of the pundits, especially former players wanted him instead of Ten Hag

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He’s a good manager I think but a terrible fit for Chelsea. There is nothing about his career that suggests he suits Chelsea’s traditional philosophy of buy peak players, sack the manager and live in perpetual cycle of boom-bust.

I understand it’s really hard to reject a Champions League club with that budget, but Potter’s taken a risk with his meticulously crafted reputation by taking on the Chelsea job. Who comes out of the Chelsea job smelling of roses? Very few.
Potter hasn't spent a penny of "that budget".

Mind you, he still has half a billion quid's worth of shite to play with.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Are they any worse than Brightons players? There’s around 7/8 players we were all 100 percent sure would fail miserably at Ten Hag ball yet here we are.
Right now, yes, they are. First and foremost they have people to play the actual positions they are supposed to. They aren’t asking their forward mids to replace Caicedo, or force Troussard to play wingback.

I still don’t think non Chelsea fans get exactly how decimated our best 11 is compared to how they envisioned it as the start of the season approached.

It will take multiple windows and patience to get things where they should be. But this Newcastle team had won 4 straight on the bounds and had given away a ridiculously low number of goals away at home.

And with a completely ragtag setup we had the edge in possession, created some decent chances and for the most part held them off. I gave this group NO chance. So I think he did a very good coaching job.

Now that the days of downing tools and getting their way anytime the training gets too rough they’ll stop “huffing and puffing all the time” as one of Potters assistants put it.

Then we will add 2 to 3 players in January, and get back ALL of Fofana, Chilwell and James according to reports.

The difference could be noticeable fairly quickly.

Technically Kante himself could be active for the run in on the second half of the season.

There may well be a Pavlovian trained portion of the Chelsea fanbase calling for the Axe, but Boehly and Clearlake already made a statement saying that top 4 was not a condition of Potter keeping his job, and that he was chosen for a long term project.

Patience in a plan has paid off for Arsenal, and hopefully it will for us as well

marcus agrippa

How do the resident Chelsea fans feel about the situation? I watched them today and were utter wank.
I've watched three of their games since Potter took over, and I have to say they look poorly coached. Surprising, since I actually rate Potter.

Players don't have a clue what to do in possession.

It's a tricky one with Potter. He doesn't really have a track record, nor does he strike me as particularly charismatic. You can get away with no track record if you're a legend in the game (ala Zidane and Pep), or if you have some charisma (ala Jose), but not if you lack either. We all know how the Chelsea dressing room is like. How soon will the knives be out?

sepulturite

:lol: Surely you get that I was being sarcastic? Someone somewhere has to be dumb enough to take him, and Chelsea's attention seeking new owner might just be the fall guy to do just that!
It's hard to tell these days that people are being sarcastic or not on here when it comes to Ronaldo, apologies about that.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Right now, yes, they are. First and foremost they have people to play the actual positions they are supposed to. They aren’t asking their forward mids to replace Caicedo, or force Troussard to play wingback.

I still don’t think non Chelsea fans get exactly how decimated our best 11 is compared to how they envisioned it as the start of the season approached.

It will take multiple windows and patience to get things where they should be. But this Newcastle team had won 4 straight on the bounds and had given away a ridiculously low number of goals away at home.

And with a completely ragtag setup we had the edge in possession, created some decent chances and for the most part held them off. I gave this group NO chance. So I think he did a very good coaching job.

Now that the days of downing tools and getting their way anytime the training gets too rough they’ll stop “huffing and puffing all the time” as one of Potters assistants put it.

Then we will add 2 to 3 players in January, and get back ALL of Fofana, Chilwell and James according to reports.

Technically Kante himself could be active for the run in on the second half of the season.

There may well be a Pavlovian trained portion of the Chelsea fanbase calling for the Axe, but Boehly and Clearlake already made a statement saying that top 4 was not a condition of Potter keeping his job, and that he was chosen for a long term project.

Patience in a plan has paid off for Arsenal, and hopefully it will for us as well
What the actual feck ?

Half a billion spent, yet "it will take multiple windows and patience to get things where they should be."

feck off you bunch of Chav cnuts.

Ten Hag has polished a steaming pile of shite within a few months whilst spending (a lot) , but still much less than your lot.

I hope Chelsea crash and burn, they fecking deserve it.

DJ_21

Same feeling. People may not remember it, but Moyes's stock was on the up because of his work at Everton before he blew it completely at United.
Exactly. Certain managers are only a good fit for certain teams. Some jobs are to big for some managers but it’s obviously going to be hard to reject a job offer from a big club when your at the likes of Brighton.

DJ_21

We all have differing opinions. I think he’s a great coach and I’m positive it will work out. Growing pains at the moment. It’s tough to watch but he’s been here 5 minutes. Literally not enough time to sway one way or the other.
Surely he should be getting them to play a lot better then they are doing though? ETH hasn’t been with us that long but you can clearly see signs of improvement. I think your going down hill. Fancy leaving all your best players on the bench against Newcastle.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surely he should be getting them to play a lot better then they are doing though? ETH hasn’t been with us that long but you can clearly see signs of improvement. I think your going down hill. Fancy leaving all your best players on the bench against Newcastle.
Ten Hag had a preseason and signed his own players. Different situations. Of course I wish it was better but I genuinely see zero point in judging him this harshly 10 games into the job. That’s just me though.

Chief123

That is an extremely generous and lenient view. To suggest the Brighton players are currently better than the Chelsea players is an unacceptable excuse and in fact ridiculous.

9 out of the 11 players that started and won the Champions league just over a year ago against the best team in England are still at your club. The two that aren’t (Rudiger and Werner) have been replaced by Koulibaly and Sterling which many will regard as an upgrade.

To say the chelsea players are not good enough is not a valid excuse at all. Chelsea are playing against teams who have lesser players than them and performing very poorly. There’s no one in the Newcastle team that would get into Chelsea’s first XI other than Bruno.

Chelsea should be performing a lot better than they are doing. The manager is not blameless as he has had some suspect team selections and formations.

DJ_21

Ten Hag had a preseason and signed his own players. Different situations. Of course I wish it was better but I genuinely see zero point in judging him this harshly 10 games into the job. That’s just me though.
Fair point. Be interesting to see if your new owners a lot more patient then the previous one. There’s no reason why potter shouldn’t work out if given the time and backing.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Missing a few players but so is everyone really
At one point we were missing 6 of the 11 they had penciled in as starters: Kante, Kovacic, James, Fofana, Koulibaliy, and Mendy all hurt at the same time at one point. Kepa came in and did well, now he’s hurt. Kova is trying to play without his fitness levels back and he’s in danger of muscle re-injury every time he goes out there.

Can you think of another team with that many injury issues?

Sterling sat out today with “headaches” ( I don’t want to get hurt before the WC).

I watched a pundit get it right earlier. They said this was a problem created going back to Conte, and even before. A problem of buying random players to fit different systems, over empowering the players (because Roman was what we call a jock sniffer, and likes having the players coming directly to him), and having no overall philosophy.

I expect opposing fans to push the “Chelsea are doomed! Sack him!” Narrative, because I would as an oppo. The one thing I didn’t want Arsenal to have was patience with Arteta and Edu.

With the structure we are building and the finances we have, the one thing we need really is patience, so this will be a pretty big test.

Btw, If I told anyone here we would be playing the team third in the table in November, and RLC would be starting at RB, Azpi would be starting at CB, Chalobah would be starting and might be our best defender not hurt, Lewis Hall would be starting, Jorgihno would be anchoring our midfield as a 6, and Broja would be our best available offensive option …. No one would have believed that.

The real test is whether they have the cojones in the future to have a hard discussion with Mount.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
That is an extremely generous and lenient view. To suggest the Brighton players are currently better than the Chelsea players is an unacceptable excuse and in fact ridiculous.

9 out of the 11 players that started and won the Champions league just over a year ago against the best team in England are still at your club. The two that aren’t (Rudiger and Werner) have been replaced by Koulibaly and Sterling which many will regard as an upgrade.

To say the chelsea players are not good enough is not a valid excuse at all. Chelsea are playing against teams who have lesser players than them and performing very poorly. There’s no one in the Newcastle team that would get into Chelsea’s first XI other than Bruno.

Chelsea should be performing a lot better than they are doing. The manager is not blameless as he has had some suspect team selections and formations.
Did those players you mentioned play?

Azpi is done at RB. James is out. Chilwell is out . Kante is out. Kova has been rushed back and is sucking wind by the half hour mark. Sterling didn’t play with “headaches” . Silva is nearly two years older from that point now, and us having a real issue without Kante in front of him. Our whole midfield has that issue because their makeup doesn’t work without Kante and we don’t have an actual 6

If you think we have close to the same team as then then you don’t watch Chelsea much.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point. Be interesting to see if your new owners a lot more patient then the previous one. There’s no reason why potter shouldn’t work out if given the time and backing.
They said when pressed on this point nearly a month ago that making top 4 had no bearing on Potters job, and that they had a long term plan in place. Considering they went through something like this with the Dodgers and stood by their manager selection through Rocky starts bodes well.

marcus agrippa

What the actual feck ?

Half a billion spent, yet "it will take multiple windows and patience to get things where they should be."

feck off you bunch of Chav cnuts.

Ten Hag has polished a steaming pile of shite within a few months whilst spending (a lot) , but still much less than your lot.

I hope Chelsea crash and burn, they fecking deserve it.
The guy you're quoting is something else. I think he's all the way into the rose-tinted part of the Chelsea spectrum.

Fact is, they've spent an f-load this past summer to no particular plan, fired their manager mid-stream, gotten in an unproven one on a long contract (so I assume they're going to have to tough it out with him). I'm looking at their squad and can't believe the amount of dross they've allowed to accumulate.

Meanwhile, Chelsea players are known for abandoning a manager they don't trust, so you'd think Potter had better start getting results soon, otherwise he's going to lose the dressing room, which there's no coming back from.

And their owner/shot-caller Boehly gives me strong Woodward vibes. Like, uncannily so ...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He has proven himself in Brighton with limited budget. I hope the owner will look at Arteta in arsenal and give Potter the time he needs.

marcus agrippa

He has proven himself in Brighton with limited budget. I hope the owner will look at Arteta in arsenal and give Potter the time he needs.
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Just saying (or rather Carl Sagan just saying).

IMO, Potter's a good coach. I just worry he doesn't have the force of personality necessary to wrangle that Chelsea dressing room, particularly since (Cucurella apart) they aren't his players. Will he be given the time and funds to reshape the squad? If he is, then he might be a success.

Pronewbie

Peep
Their wingers are hardly inspiring: Ziyech and Pulisic are pretty crap. Sterling is on the wane.

The defenders are quite slow, also. Curcurella, Azpilicueta, Silva and Koulibaly isn't really all that suitable for playing a higher line. But they can't play deep, either, as their attackers are not particularly quick.

They have a lot of major weaknesses no matter which formation they play. Their transfers have just been terrible for the last few seasons. Under Tuchel, they only managed to improve one area (LWB) with Chilwell and so they are left with this team, which is worse than the one Tuchel took over. No Kante and no Rudiger are huge blows.

The only other signing who looked good was Mendy, but he has become a disaster.
You bring up many valid points, but the back 4 just looks so much better whenever they're "forced" to transition to it. Even under Tuchel this season.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Never make conclusions about a team with players missing. Kante, Chilwell, James and they'll go up two levels.

lysglimt

Scout
Never make conclusions about a team with players missing. Kante, Chilwell, James and they'll go up two levels.
They are good players - but missing 3 players isn't the difference between midtable and fighting for the title. There is something seriously wrong at Chelsea right now

LordSpud

He'll be gone by Summer. This Boehly fellow is a maniac who got rid of Tuchel to get his own manager in - he wont be happy seeing that Potter probably isnt doing as well as Boehly wants and to save face he will get rid and get a "bigger name" in. The Chelsea downward spiral in in full swing and we love it!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He'll be gone by Summer. This Boehly fellow is a maniac who got rid of Tuchel to get his own manager in - he wont be happy seeing that Potter probably isnt doing as well as Boehly wants and to save face he will get rid and get a "bigger name" in. The Chelsea downward spiral in in full swing and we love it!
Yeah I think so too. This Boehly fellow seems the type that would bring in players he wants instead of who the manager wants.

Chief123

Did those players you mentioned play?

Azpi is done at RB. James is out. Chilwell is out . Kante is out. Kova has been rushed back and is sucking wind by the half hour mark. Sterling didn’t play with “headaches” . Silva is nearly two years older from that point now, and us having a real issue without Kante in front of him. Our whole midfield has that issue because their makeup doesn’t work without Kante and we don’t have an actual 6

If you think we have close to the same team as then then you don’t watch Chelsea much.
No they didn’t play yesterday but they’ve all been part of some of the poor performances this season. You can make excuses all you want but to suggest Brighton have better players than Chelsea is quite frankly just nonsense.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
And to think most of the pundits, especially former players wanted him instead of Ten Hag
There were a few posters on here that wanted him over ten Hag.

Potter is out his depth at Chelsea and I think the players sense that too.

Oldyella

Same feeling. People may not remember it, but Moyes's stock was on the up because of his work at Everton before he blew it completely at United.
Was it though? If we are being kind, he had plateaued at Everton long before coming to us and was no longer being mentioned when bigger jobs became available.

If they give him time I think he will do OK there, the big question is if this new Chelsea act similarly to the old one and change manager at the drop of a hat.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Seems like a nice but bland fellow. Like the human equivalent of beige. Can't see him rousing this group of misfits at Chelsea.

Can see "Todd" going all out for Zizou or maybe Poch.

Mike Smalling

It's funny how his appointment was seen as Chelsea moving in a new direction with a long-term project, as opposed to their previous hire and fire approach. Now it doesn't look like he will last a full season.

CM

I think Potter's been slightly unlucky in that he's inherited a Chelsea team with genuinely awful attacking options. They were struggling in that sense under Tuchel too, but he was the man who brought those players in. There's huge premium on the wing-backs for them to look even remotely threatening in attack, and they're missing both of James and Chilwell at the moment.

He should still be doing better, mind. They're too easy to beat right now.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
It's funny how his appointment was seen as Chelsea moving in a new direction with a long-term project, as opposed to their previous hire and fire approach. Now it doesn't look like he will last a full season.
To be fair the man needs at least two summers to get his own players in, and replace the aging players in the squad.

Regardless, he hasnt got the charisma to last that long. Graham Potter just isnt a brand name for the new owners.

I'd imagine some higher up at Chelsea trying to convince "Todd" to greenlight the Potter move.

"Todd, Graham Potter is the hottest young English coach IN THE WORLD, we gotta get'em while his stock high!"

"But errrmmm, what about Jurgen Guardiola and Pep Klopp?"

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Who thinks he won't last the season? I am willing to bet a whopping £10* that he will still be Chelsea manager come the final league game of the season.

You can give my money to charity if you want but I'm spending my winnings on a kebab.

*limited to 1 person only, no newbies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He seemed so out of place or overawed when he took over for his first game. Understandable but never seen it so noticeable before.. well since Moyes that is

cyberman

Who thinks he won't last the season? I am willing to bet a whopping £10* that he will still be Chelsea manager come the final league game of the season.

You can give my money to charity if you want but I'm spending my winnings on a kebab.

*limited to 1 person only, no newbies.
I’ll go further, I don’t think his replacement will see out the season either.