Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

Idxomer

It’ll always be a mystery to me how Chelsea can ebb and flow like they do. They can be totally average one year, then just go and win the champions league like it’s nothing. Then go back to being shit, then decide to turn it on and walk the league. Then be shit again. It’s so weird.
I don't know, they've been consistently average in the league since Conte's first season. The CL win was deserved but also a bit of a fluke in a weak year for most top European sides.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't know, they've been consistently average in the league since Conte's first season. The CL win was deserved but also a bit of a fluke in a weak year for most top European sides.
This is what I mean, they walked the league with 93 points in conte’s first year after finishing 10th the year before. Then they’ve been shit ever since, stopping occasionally to pick up the champions league and the odd FA cup :lol:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’ll always be a mystery to me how Chelsea can ebb and flow like they do. They can be totally average one year, then just go and win the champions league like it’s nothing. Then go back to being shit, then decide to turn it on and walk the league. Then be shit again. It’s so weird.
We like to keep everyone guessing. Including the fans.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It's way too early to be judging either.

I don't really see Potter as any worse than Tuchel as Chelsea looked shit without Reece James and Kante last season as well.
But I think it’s safe to say he ain’t ETH standard? They both think completely different. ETH breathes football and looks at evert small detail. I’ve not seen a manager think and work like him.

Long Time Red

But I think it’s safe to say he ain’t ETH standard? They both think completely different. ETH breathes football and looks at evert small detail. I’ve not seen a manager think and work like him.
It doesn't look that way at the moment but it's still too early to say

Eddie Howe looks better than both of them at the moment but it could all look very different at the end of this season or next season.

Fergies Gum

Next three league games are against City, Fulham and Palace.

First game is a write off and reckon he is fired if they lose points against either Fulham and Palace.

BlahRules

To be fair to Porter, he didn't have a preseason with the squad.

cyberman

It doesn't look that way at the moment but it's still too early to say

Eddie Howe looks better than both of them at the moment but it could all look very different at the end of this season or next season.
Do you think this is Ten Hags first season of management?

Mike Smalling

First game is a write off and reckon he is fired if they lose points against either Fulham and Palace.
That would be extraordinary. But it will be very interesting to see if they will put their money where their mouth is, and actually try a new patient approach.

Potter got a 5 year contract if I recall correctly, so it would be a Moyes type payout for firing him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They haven’t looked like winning the league since they last did in 2017. They’ve kind of fallen off of that roller coaster in the league.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
How come Chelsea can spend whatever they like, when United have to be careful about FFP?

They've spent well over half a billion since Lampard was there and they're shaping up to spend another £150M in January. That's worse than City.

What a shitty football club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How come Chelsea can spend whatever they like, when United have to be careful about FFP?

They've spent well over half a billion since Lampard was there and they're shaping up to spend another £150M in January. That's worse than City.

When have we ever needed to be careful about FFP?

Long Time Red

They sold Abraham, Tomori, Guehi and Zouma, all academy players for about £120m.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This is what I mean, they walked the league with 93 points in conte’s first year after finishing 10th the year before. Then they’ve been shit ever since, stopping occasionally to pick up the champions league and the odd FA cup :lol:
And the EL. We’ve also been to loads of finals. Our record of late in finals is woeful but a lucky bounce here and there and we’d be sitting on a couple more cup final wins in the last 4 years.

KeanoMagicHat

And there’s no real sense of identity or meaning of club there either - train the best talent in England to sell off for expensive foreign mercenaries who often don’t end any better than the players they trained.

TheReligion

Abusive
And there’s no real sense of identity or meaning of club there either - train the best talent in England to sell off for expensive foreign mercenaries who often don’t end any better than the players they trained.
It is kind of depressing when you put it like that.

It remains beyond idiotic that Chelsea sacked Thomas fecking Tuchel for Potter because Tuchel wasn't a good enough emergency Director of Football.

Nothing approaches allowing Mourinho to bin KdB and then lie about why he did so but this is probably the second stupidest thing Chelsea have done in the last 25 years.
I never got the obsession with Tuchel. He had a huge new manager bounce before reverting to the fairly average manager he was at Mainz and PSG.

I think because he wears a baseball cap and loses his rag at referees people think he's Jurgen Klopp.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I never got the obsession with Tuchel. He had a huge new manager bounce before reverting to the fairly average manager he was at Mainz and PSG.

I think because he wears a baseball cap and loses his rag at referees people think he's Jurgen Klopp.
He won Big Ears, geez. Sacking him so immediately and replacing him with Harry Potter whose biggest success to date was winning the xG battle against Voldemort was just a smidge premature

Also, where is Potter’s new manager bounce?

The Purley King

Chelsea, like us, are missing a proper no.9 and have been for a long time.
They aren’t set up well to play false 9s like city or Liverpool are.
Aubameyang is a waste of rations, just like ronaldo was.
Potter needs to solve that problem first. And quickly.
given time I think potter will do well but he can’t continue playing like this or he won’t get much more time at all.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Because a lot of the players are mercenaries, there's no semblance of loyalty anymore, United have it, Liverpool have it and to a lesser extent so do City and Arsenal

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
My best guess is that they run the club in high gear mode which gives just enough edge to beat better teams, but also burns the teams and managers out so badly, during a season, that they are out of breath the next season. Therefore their need to often cycle through even top managers and footballers.

This is in stark contrast with teams that try to achieve sustainable top level and pace themselves

Potter is a manager you hire for sustainable success. He would never fit the previous ownership. It is interesting to see if the new owner will show more patience. So far the new owner seems too much like Abramovich

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Some poster was bleating on about it in the CF thread and people actually took him seriously.
Have United ever had to be concerned about FFP in that we've risked falling afoul o fit?

We may have a lot of debt but they also have the income and usually profits to cover it

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

...what? We literally made the final of every cup we participated in under him except the CL in his second season, where we pushed the winners to the absolute brink.

He's a staggeringly good manager and had the best relationship with our supporters of any manager post Mourinho's first stint. To bin that was absolutely idiotic.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Chelsea, like us, are missing a proper no.9 and have been for a long time.
They aren’t set up well to play false 9s like city or Liverpool are.
Aubameyang is a waste of rations, just like ronaldo was.
Potter needs to solve that problem first. And quickly.
given time I think potter will do well but he can’t continue playing like this or he won’t get much more time at all.
Well they ain’t gonna solve that problem when alls they do is buy CBs :lol: they bought lukaku back for that role. Then they went with aubameyang. They’ve had opportunitys to target a striker but they’re going after defenders, makes no sense. We’re completely different, the only reason we didn’t get a number 9 In the summer was because we had Ronaldo and thought he’d of been here till the end of this season. Plus we needed to improve our midfield massively first.

arthurka

These new owners seem utterly sporadic. Potter will of course stay and they will build something for these 500m investment this season.

The Purley King

Well they ain’t gonna solve that problem when alls they do is buy CBs :lol: they bought lukaku back for that role. Then they went with aubameyang. They’ve had opportunitys to target a striker but they’re going after defenders, makes no sense. We’re completely different, the only reason we didn’t get a number 9 In the summer was because we had Ronaldo and thought he’d of been here till the end of this season. Plus we needed to improve our midfield massively first.
Cannot blame potter for lukaku and the other pretty average signings this summer. He should be doing better with what he has though no doubt about that.
There is such a dearth of decent centre forwards at the moment that it might be a while (for them and us) to solve that particular issue.

Redfrog

He won Big Ears, geez. Sacking him so immediately and replacing him with Harry Potter whose biggest success to date was winning the xG battle against Voldemort was just a smidge premature

Also, where is Potter’s new manager bounce?
It will come…right when he will be sacked.

Redfrog

My best guess is that they run the club in high gear mode which gives just enough edge to beat better teams, but also burns the teams and managers out so badly, during a season, that they are out of breath the next season. Therefore their need to often cycle through even top managers and footballers.

This is in stark contrast with teams that try to achieve sustainable top level and pace themselves

Potter is a manager you hire for sustainable success. He would never fit the previous ownership. It is interesting to see if the new owner will show more patience. So far the new owner seems too much like Abramovich
Where did you get that from ? Crazy thinking. You can tell that about SAF or Guardiola but Potter ? He has never been associated to any kind of success, never mind sustainable.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Fulham beat them if they bring today's performance.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Where did you get that from ? Crazy thinking. You can tell that about SAF or Guardiola but Potter ? He has never been associated to any kind of success, never mind sustainable.
He was building Brighton for long-term. "Success" for Brighton is defines as in being mid-table EPL, there is no expectation that Brighton can win anything, so we are talking about style here, not winning EPL. You do not bring somebody like Potter if you want to win the league the same season, because he is not a manager like Mou

Redfrog

He was building Brighton for long-term. "Success" for Brighton is defines as in being mid-table EPL, there is no expectation that Brighton can win anything, so we are talking about style here, not winning EPL. You do not bring somebody like Potter if you want to win the league the same season, because he is not a manager like Mou
He is doing exactly what he was doing with Brighton : « mid-table success ». It’s exactly the same as Moyes. Out of his depth. You can’t emulate what you are doing at a lower level to the top. It doesn’t work like that. The Brighton sustainable success is for Chelsea sustainable mediocrity.

Let’s be honest, Bohely hired him only because he was flavor of the month and because he is out of his depth as well.

It’s just a massive f*ck up. It’s not like at Arsenal where the team was built around young players buying a project. At Chelsea it’s full of experienced players who wants him out already. 1 win in 8 in the league. That’s relegation form.

BorisManUtd

Chelsea's next 5 league games: City (H), Fulham (A), Palace (H), Liverpool (A), Fulham (H).

Other than Palace at Bridge, they could really struggle in other 4 games. January is really big month for them and it's kinda similar situation to the one at Spurs.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

in terms of transfer spend its all ammortised as you know, and as we give new signings 6 or 7 yr deals, it helps massively for FFP. I think wage to turnover ratio has got to be 70% by 2025. Also wouldnt be surprised if Boehly has some big sponsorship lined up

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Got key players injured. I expect we'll finish mid table and I expect Potter to stay until at least Christmas next season.

If we've got a full squad plus whoever else is brought in and are still rubbish, he'll be gone this time next year.

Lyng

Got key players injured. I expect we'll finish mid table and I expect Potter to stay until at least Christmas next season.

If we've got a full squad plus whoever else is brought in and are still rubbish, he'll be gone this time next year.
Even if a bigger name becomes available?

cyberman

I’ll go further, I don’t think his replacement will see out the season either.
No. I’m saying take my prediction and place a tenner on sacked, replacement sacked then club legend in charge for the last run of games. Make yourself more money instead of a bad bet.
You’re welcome!
Just quoting this so it’s easier to find by seasons end