Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

M Bison

Supports
York City
Conor Gallagher looked the best player, at least he had a bit of urgency. Koulibaly was shocking, bullet dodged there

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He has been brilliant at every club he’s been at. He also needs time which has also been evident at every club he’s been at. Look at how much people were laughing at Arteta (still) and he’s 7 points clear in the league.

SATA

I didn’t even know they signed this bloke called Zakaria. And they have signed Nkunku and the centreback from Monaco as well? Did Potter actually want these players?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
fofana has been good tbf. Injury was unlucky. KK has gone off the boil. cucurella was never worth 60m but still a good left back. Auba was just weird. Sterling is still good,
Fofana missing more games than he's played can't be ignored though at the moment he's a massive 'if'

Fair enough if you're happy with Sterling, for me he's always been in that Werner mould in that he misses too many (doesn't matter if you play for City as you'll get 10 more chances or 7 other players will score instead)

crossy1686

career ending
He has been brilliant at every club he’s been at. He also needs time which has also been evident at every club he’s been at. Look at how much people were laughing at Arteta (still) and he’s 7 points clear in the league.
Lampard isn’t going to come good mate, no matter how much time he gets

crossy1686

career ending
I didn’t even know they signed this bloke called Zakaria. And they have signed Nkunku and the centreback from Monaco as well? Did Potter actually want these players?
Erm, no? Bohley promised he’d spend £1b on improving the squad and he’s trying to do it all in one season it seems

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Man City next for these feckers. It's a win/win for us and Arsenal.

Idxomer

They have signed 10 players since Boehly took over, and there are probably a couple more coming this January.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Their players aren’t as bad as their performances suggest. Potter seems to have his fans here based on some Xg stats at Brighton and decent football, but he left having never resolved that issue and Brighton have continued to play good football without him.

Chelsea have 1 win and 5 goals in their last 7 PL matches. No matter what talk there is about needing time and not having his own players, it’s a terrible performance thus far. They didn’t just drop points today, they were outfought and outplayed.

I think he is a good coach, but he doesn’t have any excuses to be playing as badly as they are. If it continues, he won’t make the summer.

crossy1686

career ending
Okay? When am I talking about Lampard?
I was joking. But in regards to Potter this was a poisoned chalice from the off. He’s a good manager and will be a better manager one day but he has no experience at this level and has never handled expectation before.

He really should have done Spurs first where he can win nothing and maybe finish in the top 4 and learn what it’s really like up with the elites without being judged as one. Now he’s going to be sacked before he even has chance to get his head around what he should be doing

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Their players aren’t as bad as their performances suggest. Potter seems to have his fans here based on some Xg stats at Brighton and decent football, but he left having never resolved that issue and Brighton have continued to play good football without him.

Chelsea have 1 win and 5 goals in their last 7 PL matches. No matter what talk there is about needing time and not having his own players, it’s a terrible performance thus far. They didn’t just drop points today, they were outfought and outplayed.

I think he is a good coach, but he doesn’t have any excuses to be playing as badly as they are. If it continues, he won’t make the summer.
Oh he will. And i'll wager any bet on that. He is here long term. Regardless if we finish 3rd or 13th. Mark my words.. This is Boehly and Clearlakes man.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
When was the last time there was a good English manager who proves themselves at a top club? Eddie Howe might be that one but still a ways to go

crossy1686

career ending
Oh he will. And i'll wager any bet on that. He is here long term. Regardless if we finish 3rd or 13th. Mark my words
You think Bohely's vanity project will allow Potter to stick around after the money he's spent and seems to continue to spend? How many more excuses can the man get when his boss has literally replaced every single player at the club and you still can't win a game?

crossy1686

career ending
When was the last time there was a good English manager who proves themselves at a top club? Eddie Howe might be that one but still a ways to go
An English manager has never won the PL so I'd say never?

These big jobs come too soon or too late for English managers it seems. Potter needed a stepping stone before this role.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Oh he will. And i'll wager any bet on that. He is here long term. Regardless if we finish 3rd or 13th. Mark my words.. This is Boehly and Clearlakes man.
I just can’t see it mate. If he goes another 7 games with 1 win, it will be curtains. The players will decide it for Boelhy and the board.

He did, which is worrying because he isn't good enough for a top 4 team.
My thoughts exactly, if he’s the answer then I’m not sure what the question is. I think he looked better at CP last season, they should try and resign him this month.

Andy_Cole

Hmm I’m not so sure. Spending so much money, I feel you’ll try get a top tried and trusted manager in.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Struggling to show anything offensively for months ->signs another defender and in talks for a 130M move for Enzo Fernandez. Surely they have to sign someone else other than Fofana.

crossy1686

career ending
And after spending all that money on dross will he stop ?
If I were a gambling man, and an American businessman had a written agreement that he would spend £1b exactly, I would go all in on the amount being spent to be £1b exactly and not a penny more past that point.

BerryBerryShrew

They have an awful team in fairness. Our own side has glaring weaknesses yet a combined Chelsea/United first XI would see only James get in for Chelsea. And he is a permacrock.

Potter will only come good if Toddy raids Brighton for the likes of Caicedo, Trossard, and MacAllister. Which he may well do but it will be a long season until then.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
[
You think Bohely's vanity project will allow Potter to stick around after the money he's spent and seems to continue to spend? How many more excuses can the man get when his boss has literally replaced every single player at the club and you still can't win a game?
I just can’t see it mate. If he goes another 7 games with 1 win, it will be curtains. The players will decide it for Boelhy and the board.
Hmm I’m not so sure. Spending so much money, I feel you’ll try get a top tried and trusted manager in.
I really do think he will keep him on. Different sport but did the same thing with the Dodgers. Coach had dreadful run but refused to fire him, then went on to win whatever.

This time next year, we willl have the same manager. Although admittedly its not only Boehly's decision

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just looked through Chelsea's squad. Holy Moly, what a mess and I thought ours was all over the place.

Edit: When did they sign Zakaria :lol: ?
Last I heard he signed for Juve and was touted as a 'must have' signing for us in January.

Mr. Robot

Ah I love post Roman Chewsea. :drool:

Bohely (however you spell it) is playing Football Manager and long may it continue.

Potter was always a weird ‘Rodger’s type’ appointment. Good manager at the likes of Swansea but just not good enough to step up to a club like Chelsea (or Liverpool in BR’s case).

Good times :drool:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Enzo Fernández and any of there targets would be stupid to join them in January not knowing where they’ll end up finishing. They could easily get a move to a CL team in the summer.

crossy1686

career ending
[

I really do think he will keep him on. Different sport but did the same thing with the Dodgers. Coach had dreadful run but refused to fire him, then went on to win whatever.

This time next year, we willl have the same manager. Although admittedly its not only Boehly's decision
Except in the NFL you can't just buy up every player in the world that played well for 10 minutes like you can in football due to salary caps and other regulations. There's also zero jeopardy for doing badly and your finances stay the same regardless, on top of that you get better draft picks the lower down you finish.

In football you get cast to the depths never to return if you get it that wrong.

always_hoping

Will he be given the time to build and fail as Arteta did at Arsenal?

Abramovich had zero patience maybe Todd Boehly will be different.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't normally do this but I and few others got lots of shit from the "Potter is World Class" brigade when we pointed out that it wouldn't be a sure thing that he would be successful at Chelsea.

Obviously I'm too mature to lay into these stupid cnuts too much, so I'll just ask these stupid cnuts a simple question; how does it feel being a stupid cnut?

STYLOISRED

Except in the NFL you can't just buy up every player in the world that played well for 10 minutes like you can in football due to salary caps and other regulations. There's also zero jeopardy for doing badly and your finances stay the same regardless, on top of that you get better draft picks the lower down you finish.

In football you get cast to the depths never to return if you get it that wrong.
Yes but I'm not sure Boehly realises this yet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When you look at their last few years of signings it's arguably worse than our Moyes through Ole spell.

Lukaku, Werner, Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, Sterling, Auba, Koulibaly, Cuccurella.
How many of that lot would you say have even been passable? Maybe one or two max?

mu4c_20le

[

In American sports you get rewarded for doing poorly. Good luck trying to attract top players after a year or two without CL.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I don't normally do this but I and few others got lots of shit from the "Potter is World Class" brigade when we pointed out that it wouldn't be a sure thing that he would be successful at Chelsea.

Obviously I'm too mature to lay into these stupid cnuts too much, so I'll just ask these stupid cnuts a simple question; how does it feel being a stupid cnut?
We all make mistakes.