Television Grand Designs

Thunderhead

Supports
City
anyone see this last night, TV gold?

Basically a bloke and his wife decided to build an art deco lighthouse on the edge of a cliff starting in 2011, bought a house for £1.1m and knocked it down, 8 years later and divorced and not finished and still needing £2m to finish the project! After spending around £3.5m so far.

Normally I'm not one to delight in other peoples misfortune but this bloke was a prized twat and totally deluded, funniest thing was the wind was howling off the coast and he asked the builder why nothing was happening whilst trying to erect the steel core and the builder just went, it's windy and once a gust comes there is no way of stopping the steel spinning. How this wasn't identified at the start of the project is baffling.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I like this show, the host is an engaging bloke. Apparently he's ripped off a bunch of investors though.

I like that people are willing to piss away their money on vanity projects.

GloryHunter07

Financial suicide, i cant fathom why anyone would take such a crazy risk.

To be fair to the bloke he did admit that it was basically his own vanity that has led to his whole family collapsing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I like this show, the host is an engaging bloke. Apparently he's ripped off a bunch of investors though.

I like that people are willing to piss away their money on vanity projects.
Seems like as good a thing to spend money on as anything, if you have it obvs. Especially for those that appreciate good design and want to live in it.
It'd definitely make me happier to live in a well designed house with plenty of space and tailored to me.

If you haven't got the money to cover it and more (it's always more), then it's daft though.

starman

Searched for a thread on this yesterday and surprised to not see one until now (20 year old show). Though last episode was excruciatingly entertaining.
  • From the initial amount of money going to be spent
  • to how close he was deciding to build near the cliff
  • To have to build a entirely different property he didn't want just so he could refinance
  • the length the whole project took (without even finishing)
  • the amount of money spend 7 years later (almost tripled)
  • the admission he has to sell both properties as he is in too much debt
  • And... to his wife leaving him...
Anyway now the episode is out I bet someone comes along and finishes it for him

diarm

I love this show. I reckon future historians will look back on Kevin McCloud in much the same way current ones see Ghengis Kahn but it's still a great show.

Dan

I did like that one house he finished set into the cliff.

GloryHunter07

I love this show. I reckon future historians will look back on Kevin McCloud in much the same way current ones see Ghengis Kahn but it's still a great show.
:lol:
What is the mongol translation of “light and space”?