Great managers who never faced eachother

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Taken inspiration from the thread about great players who have never faced off I'll thought I'd start a thread about managers too.

I'll start with Hiddink and Fergie.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Did Capello ever face Ferguson or Mourinho?

I know that he 'finally' faced Hitzeld in the Champions League in 2006/2007, when he was the Real Madrid manager and after Bayern sacked Magath and re-hired Hitzfeld..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Did Capello ever face Ferguson or Mourinho?

I know that he 'finally' faced Hitzeld in the Champions League in 2006/2007, when he was the Real Madrid manager and after Bayern sacked Magath and re-hired Hitzfeld..
Not sure about Fergie but it appears he never faced Mourinho, however looking at their career path's i think the only possible time they could have meet was during Mou's first spell with us (think Roma and Porto were never in the same UEFA tournament circa 02-04).

SAF not ever meeting Hiddink (or Capello if he hasn't) is quite remarkable as there would have been probably about 15 different seasons they were on potential collision courses, especially in Hiddink's case given his spell at Chelsea.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Not sure about Fergie but it appears he never faced Mourinho, however looking at their career path's i only think the only possible time they could have meet was during Mou's first spell with us (think Roma and Porto were never in the same UEFA tournament circa 02-04).

SAF not ever meeting Hiddink (or Cappello if he hasn't) is quite remarkable as there would have been probably about 15 different seasons they were on potential collision course, especially in Hiddink's case given his spell at Chelsea.
I'm also wondering if Hiddink and Capello ever faced each other, or whether there's a complete triangle of no matches between, Ferguson-Capello-Hiddink.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mourinho and Sir Bobby never happened. Sir Bobby sacked by Newcastle in August 2004 just as Mourinho arrived in the league.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ferguson vs Hiddink should have happened since Hiddink was Chelsea caretaker in 2009

Looks like Chelsea already played Man utd both legs before he was hired

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Guardiola and Van Gaal came to mind immediately because it so nearly happened ten years ago in a Champions League final no less. Klopp and Ferguson never went head to head in the dugout but Klopp's rise a great manager came late in Ferguson's career.

GuyfromAustria

Ferguson vs Hiddink should have happened since Hiddink was Chelsea caretaker in 2009

Looks like Chelsea already played Man utd both legs before he was hired
yeah, was also thinking no way, but the 2nd game took place in January about a month before Scolari got sacked, so we didn't play Hiddink.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I found this on transfermarkt for checking, they have lists for everything! https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ottmar-hitzfeld/bilanztrainer/trainer/92

Just hover over personal record on a manager's page then go to record against managers. Ctrl + f / search on page to see if a particular manager shows up. Still got to go through each page of results though.

Works fine, but there could be better out there. All results on one page or even a tool where you can just type in 2 names. Anyone have something like that?