Music Great music you haven't listened to for ages

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

I loved this album when it came out but haven't listened to it for years/decades until today. What a brilliant album even if not exactly uplifting.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Watched a YouTube reaction to the original Mortal Kombat movie yesterday and I'd totally forgotten that this came on at the end:

Must have listened to it a million times in the 90s (alongside lots of Tori Amos).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Been listening to Pink Floyd a lot this last couple of weeks. Rinsed them so much years ago that I’ve had a bit of a subconscious hiatus. Stumbled over the Pulse gig from Earl’s Court in 1994 on YouTube. Me and my mate went to that and watching it again reminded how amazing their stuff is.

Volumiza

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

I loved this album when it came out but haven't listened to it for years/decades until today. What a brilliant album even if not exactly uplifting.
Yes dude, one properly talented woman. Great album although it’s not summat I’d put on too often.

Reactions: Wibble

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Been listening to Pink Floyd a lot this last couple of weeks. Rinsed them so much years ago that I’ve had a bit of a subconscious hiatus. Stumbled over the Pulse gig from Earl’s Court in 1994 on YouTube. Me and my mate went to that and watching it again reminded how amazing their stuff is.
I'm listening to Wish You Were Here for the first time in ages. What an album.

Reactions: moses

Volumiza

I'm listening to Wish You Were Here for the first time in ages. What an album.
Absolutely. I’d almost forgot how good they were. I guess over listening bred some apathy.

Introduced my son to that album in the car only yesterday. He had it on last night in his room :)

To think that Shine on you crazy diamond was the first ever live song I heard played at a gig. Back then I didn’t have a clue how spoiled that made me.

Edit: also I’ve got way more into The Wall than I did all those years ago. Brilliant.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Dug out Soul Mining and Infected for the first time in ages after hearing This is the Day in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Always dumbfounded how overlooked The The are, maybe they were a bit too poppy for the indie and rock crowds but everything Matt Johnson has done is near perfect.

Fingeredmouse

I listened to Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space by Spiritualized for the first time in a long time. Still incredibly powerful.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dug out Soul Mining and Infected for the first time in ages after hearing This is the Day in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Always dumbfounded how overlooked The The are, maybe they were a bit too poppy for the indie and rock crowds but everything Matt Johnson has done is near perfect.
The The are almost the perfect example of a band that produced a near flawless album but somehow get forgotten about. The first answer I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Fingeredmouse

The The are almost the perfect example of a band that produced a near flawless album but somehow get forgotten about. The first answer I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Which bands get remembered and which don't is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. The The are a great example indeed, but I think there's some other properly glaring ones. For instance, R.E.M., who were music press Indie darlings and then global superstars who also maintained critical acclaim throughout their commercial peak, appear to have largely drifted from the collective taste setters agenda and memory. Even 6 music don't play them and you'd think that'd be right on their sweet spot even if it was the older 80s stuff.

Bury Red

I don't know if the shit name doesn't play a part. I'm sure it seemed very quirky to Matt at the time but now our music is organised in digital files or on digital streaming services they just disappear into the plethora of bands with "The" names. I know it makes them very difficult to find on internet searches.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't know if the shit name doesn't play a part. I'm sure it seemed very quirky to Matt at the time but now our music is organised in digital files or on digital streaming services they just disappear into the plethora of bands with "The" names. I know it makes them very difficult to find on internet searches.
Interesting. Good shout.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He was an absolute genius but he's gone nuts lately.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

He was a tricky character. I was was a massive fan and later became very good friends with an ex manager of his. There are difficult geniuses that become huge despite their disposition but in my experience it's the exception, not the rule. Less talent, more amenable character is a better recipe than troublesome genius.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He was a tricky character. I was was a massive fan and later became very good friends with an ex manager of his. There are difficult geniuses that become huge despite their disposition but in my experience it's the exception, not the rule. Less talent, more amenable character is a better recipe than troublesome genius.
The same man managed Jah Wobble and Sinead O Connor. I'd say his bad days at work were quite something.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
My kids have dusted off my vinyl collection in the last 12 months so I've been hearing lots of stuff from my late teens and twenties.

Talking Heads' Fear of Music was on heavy rotation this week.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Long time no post Bury.

Soul Mining is probably the best album of the 80s. I fecking love it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Jools Holland's piano solo on Uncertain Smile is one of life's gifts.
2 solos tacked together but brilliant anyway. I saw The The live in Sydney a few years ago and their current piano player nails it live.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Which bands get remembered and which don't is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. The The are a great example indeed, but I think there's some other properly glaring ones. For instance, R.E.M., who were music press Indie darlings and then global superstars who also maintained critical acclaim throughout their commercial peak, appear to have largely drifted from the collective taste setters agenda and memory. Even 6 music don't play them and you'd think that'd be right on their sweet spot even if it was the older 80s stuff.

REM and Smashing Pumpkins etc are often resented as sell outs because of success. Sometimes there is a truth, if they stick with their successful sound and make it a formula.

But yes, you're right, it doesn't mean Gish, Siamese Dream Document and Green aren't still amazing.

Bury Red

Long time no post Bury.

Soul Mining is probably the best album of the 80s. I fecking love it.
Yeah, I drift in and out occasionally but rarely feel the urge to post, the political side is the same old arguments with an increased number of nutters and the more boring football and increasing number of idiots who believe they know it all is just too depressing to tackle. Generally too busy with other things and have other things to distract me and eat up my down time, being the world's greatest granddad is exhausting but very rewarding.

Superden

Look at some or you with your 80s boy bands.
Real men listen to Total Control by the Motels. On loop. For hours. And hours.
I would like to belong to Martha Davis. Or the sax man.