Great players that are not Legends at any club

Nico87

There was a player that was i was reading about recently that being bugging me as I’m trying to remember who it was. I went down a football rabbit hole and ending reading about Michael Owen being nobody’s hero due to his unforgettable time with us eradicating any affection Liverpool fans had for him added to the disdain from Newcastle fans felt for him. Any names to add?

Andy_Cole

He’s probably an England Legend.

It’s difficult as if they’re great they’d be a bit of a legend.

Nico87

He’s probably an England Legend.

It’s difficult as if they’re great they’d be a bit of a legend.
Legend maybe the wrong term, I mean players who fans don’t really have any affection for. Think of someone like Paul Ince for us although the anger has subsided somewhat fans don’t really love him despite the fact he was a great player for us.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Legend maybe the wrong term, I mean players who fans don’t really have any affection for. Think of someone like Paul Ince for us although the anger has subsided somewhat fans don’t really love him despite the fact he was a great player for us.
In the sense of players being respected, but not loved? If so, I would make a controversial shout and say Lewandowski. He’s extremely respected by our fans. But rarely loved.

Nico87

In the sense of players being respected, but not loved? If so, I would make a controversial shout and say Lewandowski. He’s extremely respected by our fans. But rarely loved.
Exactly that, yeah. Didn’t realise that Lewandowski has that reputation amongst Bayern fans, is this because of the way he left or did they never really warm to him?

Van Persie wasn’t here long enough to be a legend but I think our fans will always have a decent amount of affection for him. I’ve probably not used the right terminology but I just find it quite interesting that certain Players who were fantastic have nowhere where they’re revered .

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's a stretch isn't it? One cracking season doesn't earn legend status surely.

Lukaku?
Lukaku’s a good one. Done well at a lot of clubs but they all don’t like him because of his behaviour and personality. I guess he came closest at Everton

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Maybe I'm stepping on a few toes here but.... Zlatan?

Malmö supporters tore down his statue. At Ajax he's just a part of a proud history of developing young top talent. In Italy he's played for 3 rivaling clubs, so I can't see him being a legend for any of them individually, although he is clearly a legend in Italian football. In Barcelona he didn't do that much and had a falling out with Pep. And he only really played one season for us.

I guess PSG supporters might consider him a legend? Not sure.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
David Beckham. There always seems to be divided opinions on him.
This was my first thought, rarely gets mentioned amongst the United legends, nowhere near one of the best at Madrid and then changed clubs a lot.

As my own submission, is Pirlo considered a legend at both AC and Juventus?

Cloud7

Maybe I'm stepping on a few toes here but.... Zlatan?

Malmö supporters tore down his statue. At Ajax he's just a part of a proud history of developing young top talent. In Italy he's played for 3 rivaling clubs, so I can't see him being a legend for any of them individually, although he is clearly a legend in Italian football. In Barcelona he didn't do that much and had a falling out with Pep. And he only really played one season for us.

I guess PSG supporters might consider him a legend? Not sure.
He’s PSG’s all time top scorer isn’t he? Not sure if Mbappe has broken that yet, but Ibra spent a fair few years at PSG and was quite good for them during that time in addition to breaking the scoring record.

I would think he’s a legend there. Maybe.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You'd have to ask their supporters but maybe Michael Laudrup? I'd imagine he'd be a Barca legend but they can be quite finicky.

diarm

Zlatan is a good one. He’s definitely a Sweden legend though.

Lukaku isn’t a great player, but would qualify otherwise.

Anelka is almost always the answer to these type of questions.

Veni_Vidi_Vidic

Robbie Keane, not a legend at any club despite supporting so many different ones as a child.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Exactly that, yeah. Didn’t realise that Lewandowski has that reputation amongst Bayern fans, is this because of the way he left or did they never really warm to him?

Van Persie wasn’t here long enough to be a legend but I think our fans will always have a decent amount of affection for him. I’ve probably not used the right terminology but I just find it quite interesting that certain Players who were fantastic have nowhere where they’re revered .
Not just the way he left. He never really gave the fans the feeling that he was at the club due to any other reason but success and money. Which is absolutely fine. But as he never showed them much love, he’s not receiving much himself.
I’d go as far as saying that his successor in Kane is already more popular among our fans.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Diego Forlan possibly? A cult hero at United and had some very good seasons with Villarreal and Atlético, but wouldn’t make a top legends list for either.

A slow start at United meant that many global/casual fans have a skewed view of just how good a player he was.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ronaldo.

To be fair, it's ridiculous that he isn't Teal Madrid legend, but I doubt they like him now that much.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Milan fans worship the ground Zlatan walks on