Great players that are not Legends at any club

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ronaldo.

To be fair, it's ridiculous that he isn't Teal Madrid legend, but I doubt they like him now that much.
This is a crazy answer.

I know United fans (including myself) don’t fancy him much nowadays but he was a key part of one of the best sides in our history and was integral to delivering one of only 3 European cups in the club’s history.

He is one of Real’s best ever players and it can’t even be debated if he is a legend or not there.

He became a legend at Al-Nassr just by stepping on the pitch and gave the entire organisation a lift just by his presence. Not to take away from the fact that he is performing for them too!

He will be remembered as a legend of 3 different clubs when the dust settles and time has crystallized his achievements in the game, whether we like him or not.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Possibly Michael Laudrup?

Don't think he's held in great regard by Juve fans because he was just basically the filler in the years between Platini and Baggio and wasn't close to either of them in a Juve shirt. If he was a Barca legend, that was undone by directly joining Real, and I don't think he did enough for them to be one there either.

BuzzKillington

Cavani. I know he had a good period at Napoli, but I don’t feel he was there long enough for legend status. He’s been not quite the best everywhere else he’s gone, or not been there long enough.

Maluco

Cavani. I know he had a good period at Napoli, but I don’t feel he was there long enough for legend status. He’s been not quite the best everywhere else he’s gone, or not been there long enough.
200 goals and second top all time scorer for PSG.

Mike Smalling

Possibly Michael Laudrup?

Don't think he's held in great regard by Juve fans because he was just basically the filler in the years between Platini and Baggio and wasn't close to either of them in a Juve shirt. If he was a Barca legend, that was undone by directly joining Real, and I don't think he did enough for them to be one there either.
I could be wrong, but I think he is still held in very high regard among Barcelona fans for the level he showed in his years there, his style of play and for being part of that Dream Team. His move was mostly about falling out with Cruijff - not greed or switching to a bigger side. With time he seems to have been forgiven for it.

Maybe he doesn't meet the "legend" status - that depends on where you set the bar - but he is certainly not in the Luis Figo category either.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is a crazy answer.

I know United fans (including myself) don’t fancy him much nowadays but he was a key part of one of the best sides in our history and was integral to delivering one of only 3 European cups in the club’s history.

He is one of Real’s best ever players and it can’t even be debated if he is a legend or not there.

He became a legend at Al-Nassr just by stepping on the pitch and gave the entire organisation a lift just by his presence. Not to take away from the fact that he is performing for them too!

He will be remembered as a legend of 3 different clubs when the dust settles and time has crystallized his achievements in the game, whether we like him or not.
I don't think it's more ridiculous than to be 3 club legend. Ronaldo is legend of the game, for sure, but I don't think there should be multiple club legends.

Mike Smalling

How can anyone that desperately wants to leave a club to play his best years somewhere else, be considered a legend of that club. I just don't get it. Especially when he comes back later and kicks up a giant fuzz like a big manbaby.

Maluco

I don't think it's more ridiculous than to be 3 club legend. Ronaldo is legend of the game, for sure, but I don't think there should be multiple club legends.
There are so many players though that have done remarkable things for multiple clubs. It doesn’t make sense to claim a legend when it’s not a contest.

Look at someone like Cruyff. You’re not going to tell Ajax or Barcelona that he isn’t a legend at either of their clubs.

Do PSG fans consider either him or Zlatan legends?
I think they would have to be. Massive parts of the most successful eras in their history to date.

It is strange (like a Yaya Toure at City), but when it’s artificial like that and there is no grand history behind a club, they have to be.

Ibra could probably be debated, but there can’t be any debate behind the second all-time scorer in the club’s history surely?

That’s legend status at any club.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Milan fans worship the ground Zlatan walks on
Now that does surprise me! I wonder why? He only has 125 appearances for the club and more than half of them came after he turned 39 (!).

Has he been trash-talking Inter and Juventus or something like that? :D

Maluco

How can anyone that desperately wants to leave a club to play his best years somewhere else, be considered a legend of that club. I just don't get it. Especially when he comes back later and kicks up a giant fuzz like a big manbaby.
Players leave clubs all the time for a laundry list of reasons and feelings. That doesn’t negate what they did while they were there. He was the best player in the world while playing for Manchester United and won a Champions League.

I think anyone arguing against him being a legend here is letting their own bias and emotions into the debate.

He could hardly have done more for us during his time here.

Nico87

I remembered now it was Harry Kewell, maybe stretching the definition of great player but he seems to be remembered with disdain or indifference by the fans of the clubs he played for.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
He's clearly a Real Madrid legend, but I think his second United spell ruined his legend status for us. If he had just walked into the forest and bled out like a gentleman before running to the Saudis then I would still have considered him a legend. But his unprofessional attitude and the Piers Morgan interview tarnished his United reputation for me.

Clearly one of the best players of all time, but that's not what it's about. Being a club legend means more than just being a good footballer.

Mercurial

Now that does surprise me! I wonder why? He only has 125 appearances for the club and more than half of them came after he turned 39 (!).

Has he been trash-talking Inter and Juventus or something like that? :D
The only trophies they won in recent times were with him in the team. He is definitely a Milan legend.

Maluco

He's clearly a Real Madrid legend, but I think his second United spell ruined his legend status for us. If he had just walked into the forest and bled out like a gentleman before running to the Saudis then I would still have considered him a legend. But his unprofessional attitude and the Piers Morgan interview tarnished his United reputation for me.

Clearly one of the best players of all time, but that's not what it's about. Being a club legend means more than just being a good footballer.
I felt this at the time and I totally get this opinion and think it’s perfectly valid to feel that way.

I just think that we have clearly seen that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes at United than meets the eye.

Another of our legends, Rooney, tried to get out when he saw the lack of ambition and what was developing behind the scenes. He is still a legend and gave me so many of my fondest memories as a supporter, as did Ronaldo. Seeing him grow at the club to be the very best in the world was a special time and process.

Time heals wounds like that. Law and Schmeichel played for City, Rooney tried to get out, Keane left under a cloud, Ronaldo left to fulfill a dream that players from that part of the world often have, but none of it erases what they gave us.

Semigoodlookin

Someone said Beckham. He is 100% a United legend, surely? He was with the club years, won loads, was often excellent, and always put a shift in. Leaving the club does not mean legend status is revoked. And probably a LA Galaxy legend too I guess. I am not English, but wouldn't he rank as an England legend too considering he was captain for years and had loads of caps?

Mike Smalling

Players leave clubs all the time for a laundry list of reasons and feelings. That doesn’t negate what they did while they were there. He was the best player in the world while playing for Manchester United and won a Champions League.

I think anyone arguing against him being a legend here is letting their own bias and emotions into the debate.

He could hardly have done more for us during his time here.
Of course it's about emotions. That's what being a fan is all about. Personally, I have a bunch of negative emotions towards Ronaldo for how he has conducted himself towards the club, which has mostly been characterized by a lack of respect and putting himself first. People tend to forget the manner in which he left the first time as well, with the whole "modern slavery" debacle.

He was brilliant, when he was here. No-one disputes that. I personally think he has done enough negatively to ruin that. But all of this is subjective. I have no problems with United fans calling him a legend of the club - I just disagree.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Time heals wounds like that. Law and Schmeichel played for City, Rooney tried to get out, Keane left under a cloud, Ronaldo left to fulfill a dream that players from that part of the world often have, but none of it erases what they gave us.
It's possible to draw a line though. And unlike the others you mentioned, Ronaldo stepped over it (in my opinion).

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

That didn't do much to his United legend status for me, I've actually already largely forgotten that whole saga of last season. We all already knew he was a prissy wanker before he even came back, hell he was like that when he was winning us trophies. That's just who he is. Its nearly impossible to like his personality, but legend status comes primarily from what you do on the pitch and few ever did it as well on the pitch for United as he did, so he is and always will be a United legend for me. Who knows what we would have won from 2006-2009 without him.

Maluco

Of course it's about emotions. That's what being a fan is all about. Personally, I have a bunch of negative emotions towards Ronaldo for how he has conducted himself towards the club, which has mostly been characterized by a lack of respect and putting himself first. People tend to forget the manner in which he left the first time as well, with the whole "modern slavery" debacle.

He was brilliant, when he was here. No-one disputes that. I personally think he has done enough negatively to ruin that. But all of this is subjective. I have no problems with United fans calling him a legend of the club - I just disagree.
If that is one of the markers for legends, there are none.

There isn’t a greater modern legend than Messi and a look at his salary and Barcelona’s financial issues would tell you that he wasn’t putting the club before himself.

It’s a job and all footballers will do what’s best for them and their careers/pockets.

I agree totally about connections with the club/fans contributing to legendary status, but what Ronaldo did here, as a player, was too good to not include him on a legend list.

Only 4 players have ever won the Balon d’Or while playing for Manchester United. Law, Charlton, Best, Ronaldo.

Company doesn’t get any more legendary than that.

Munkehboi

Someone said Beckham. He is 100% a United legend, surely? He was with the club years, won loads, was often excellent, and always put a shift in. Leaving the club does not mean legend status is revoked. And probably a LA Galaxy legend too I guess. I am not English, but wouldn't he rank as an England legend too considering he was captain for years and had loads of caps?
It wasn't the fact he left us rather, how he left us, the incident and the aftermath that left a sour taste for many. His infamous red card against Argentina still gets talked about when we the legend debate crops up too. He was and still is one of the most famous and recognised footballers (ex) on the planet but it would be hard to argue that a lot of it was due to his private life and social/media endeavours. I say 'Iconic' is a term that would suit him well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Exactly that, yeah. Didn’t realise that Lewandowski has that reputation amongst Bayern fans, is this because of the way he left or did they never really warm to him?

Van Persie wasn’t here long enough to be a legend but I think our fans will always have a decent amount of affection for him. I’ve probably not used the right terminology but I just find it quite interesting that certain Players who were fantastic have nowhere where they’re revered .
Lewandowski always made it clear that this is all just a job for him. He never showed special affection for the clubs he played for (non kissing-of-the-badge or such stuff), always was a mercenary and never tried to hide that. Was already the same before Bayern when he played for Dortmund. Which probably also is the reason why almost no one was hurt when he left for Bayern, there was always just respect, but little love for him.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
but legend status comes primarily from what you do on the pitch
Primarily, but not only. For instance: G.Neville, Solskjær and Park are legends in many fans' opinion. Ronaldo was far, far better than all of them, but that doesn't really matter now.

Maluco

Samuel Eto’o?
I considered this as a really good one, but he won the treble at Inter and is one of only 20 players in their HoF, so I think he is well considered a legend there despite their rich history.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Primarily, but not only. For instance: G.Neville, Solskjær and Park are legends in many fans' opinion. Ronaldo was far, far better than all of them, but that doesn't really matter now.
I'd disagree on Park but yeah Ole and Nev are probably more cherished than Ronaldo for their deeper connection to the club. Ronaldo's legend status for me is inarguable though. You don't just win best player in the world at a club and be the main reason behind them winning a CL and multiple league titles and not get remembered as that just because you left or were a tit as a person.

Strachan8

Of late, for an obvious reason, Ryan Giggs is barely mentioned relative to his footballing exploits for United. Arguably he and Charlton are the club’s two greatest players.

tomaldinho1

I think they would have to be. Massive parts of the most successful eras in their history to date.

It is strange (like a Yaya Toure at City), but when it’s artificial like that and there is no grand history behind a club, they have to be.

Ibra could probably be debated, but there can’t be any debate behind the second all-time scorer in he club’s history surely?

That’s legend status at any club.
I always thought Ibra might be ‘more’ of a legend than Cavani for them as he was the big name along with Silva who came and won them the league.

Revaulx

That didn't do much to his United legend status for me, I've actually already largely forgotten that whole saga of last season. We all already knew he was a prissy wanker before he even came back, hell he was like that when he was winning us trophies. That's just who he is. Its nearly impossible to like his personality, but legend status comes primarily from what you do on the pitch and few ever did it as well on the pitch for United as he did, so he is and always will be a United legend for me. Who knows what we would have won from 2006-2009 without him.
His selfishness in the 2009 final v Barcelona certainly didn’t help us in that game.

That aside, I tend to agree with you. These things are rarely black and white; he remains a legend to me despite tarnishing his legacy both times he left. Of course if it had happened just the first time, people would be far more likely to have forgotten about it by now.

Tiber

Neymar would be viewed totally differently if he stayed at Barca

Maluco

I always thought Ibra might be ‘more’ of a legend than Cavani for them as he was the big name along with Silva who came and won them the league.
I think both of them, along with Silva, would 100% be on any club legend list. Lama, Rai, Armand and Pauleta being some of the biggest pre that era.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It wasn't the fact he left us rather, how he left us, the incident and the aftermath that left a sour taste for many. His infamous red card against Argentina still gets talked about when we the legend debate crops up too. He was and still is one of the most famous and recognised footballers (ex) on the planet but it would be hard to argue that a lot of it was due to his private life and social/media endeavours. I say 'Iconic' is a term that would suit him well.
You must be a younger fan or trolling.No united fan gives a flying feck what happened for his national team, why the hell would that come up in legend debates? He didn't even want to leave us to begin with. Best player in our greatest ever season. One of the most talented, hardest working players ever. Whatever his off the pitch shenanigans entailed on the pitch Beckham is incredibly underrated.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yes, he is. In a way that Ronaldo certainly isn’t. Despite the fact that the latter is the best player to play for us in modern history.