Great players that are not Legends at any club

Munkehboi

Ashley Cole. Just seen an article on the beeb about him being inducted into the PL hall of fame. An incredible left back when he was at his peak and arguably one of the best of his generation. Cant imagine he's a legend for Arsenal or Chelsea though.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
His 07/08 season was definitely the best season I've ever seen a United player have individually. I thought he was more entertaining to watch in 06/07 which was up there too. 08/09 saw a bit of a decline while still being very good.

I don't think best = legendary when it comes down to it. There's plenty of other factors, but that's just for me personally, longevity as a top performer and love for the club being two of them.

I'm not going to say anyone is wrong for thinking Ronaldo is one because it's a consensus thing when it comes down to it. Individuals class someone as legendary or not, group opinion then says whether they are or not. It starts at the individual though and people are going to have disagreements.

Where I ill say you're wrong is to reduce 3 league titles and CL purely down to him. Football is a team game, we wouldn't have played with 10 men without him and you have no idea what would have happened without him. Is there a good chance we'd have won less without him? Absolutely, but to state categorically we'd have nothing those seasons is just daft. To say so is to act as though we didn't have a squad full of amazing players and wouldn't have signed someone else.

Edit: That's not even mentioning we had Sir Alex as our manager.
I'm not saying he was the sole reason. Everyone played a part. His was just the biggest part, and the one part where there was absolutely no player on the planet United could have attained to replace him without a huge decline in the team. You take him out of the team and take your pick of anyone we could have gotten to replace him, break the club transfer record if you want (we weren't getting Messi obviously) and we don't win it in 07, we don't win it in 08, we don't win the CL, we probably don't get to the second final in 09, we probably don't win the league in 09 either. Though he did decline that last year as he wanted out and you could argue that was the one year where other players like Vidic contributed as much as he did.

His selfishness in the 2009 final v Barcelona certainly didn’t help us in that game.

That aside, I tend to agree with you. These things are rarely black and white; he remains a legend to me despite tarnishing his legacy both times he left. Of course if it had happened just the first time, people would be far more likely to have forgotten about it by now.
He was IMO our best player in the 09 final vs Barcelona. It was Rooney and Carrick who badly let us down in that game.

Revaulx

I'm not saying he was the sole reason. Everyone played a part. His was just the biggest part, and the one part where there was absolutely no player on the planet United could have attained to replace him without a huge decline in the team. You take him out of the team and take your pick of anyone we could have gotten to replace him, break the club transfer record if you want (we weren't getting Messi obviously) and we don't win it in 07, we don't win it in 08, we don't win the CL, we probably don't get to the second final in 09, we probably don't win the league in 09 either. Though he did decline that last year as he wanted out and you could argue that was the one year where other players like Vidic contributed as much as he did.

He was IMO our best player in the 09 final vs Barcelona. It was Rooney and Carrick who badly let us down in that game.
Those two weren’t great, and you couldn’t accuse Ronaldo of not trying, but his speculative potshots just handed possession to the opposition.

Maybe SAF had told him to shoot on sight, believing it was our only hope.

dazjoe

Paul Ince, maybe.
Would be a United legend for sure if he hadn't signed for Liverpool. I'd understand if people think he's lost the status due to that.
Did well at Inter but I wouldn't say he was legendary for them.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Not sure if anyone said this but Brazilian Ronaldo?

Barcelona? Only played one season
Inter? Hardly anyone remembers him there even if did play 5 seasons there
Madrid? Didn't really make much of an impact there and was injured a lot of the time

Theonas

Scout
This is a great question, and tough to answer.

The problem is everyone has a subjective opinion of what it means to be a club legend. For me, it means you're in a club's all-time first eleven. That criteria might be a bit harsher than many would feel necessary, but the more players you call club legends, the more that word loses its meaning.

Are Toni Kroos and Luka Modric club legends at Madrid? It'd be hard to choose either of them ahead of Zidane or Di Stefano.
That's a harsh criteria indeed. It would mean that there are no midfield Barcelona legends since I assume Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta are legends over there. You won't find many United fans who would argue that Best and Giggs are not club legends. That would mean there is no space for Beckham or Ronaldo. Kahn and Neuer I'd argue are both Bayern legends. The list goes on...

Theonas

Scout

Madrid? Didn't really make much of an impact there and was injured a lot of the time
Yeah I'd be surprised if he fit the criteria to any of these clubs fans. He is easily an iconic player who played for them but legend for me is a combination of input/performances plus memories and fondness generated with the fans. R9 has plenty of the latter but relatively speaking, he is behind several others at these clubs. I say that as someone who considers him in the mount Rushmore of footballers in my lifetime.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Are Toni Kroos and Luka Modric club legends at Madrid? It'd be hard to choose either of them ahead of Zidane or Di Stefano.
Both Kroos and Modric have been better than Zidane ever was for Real Madrid.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ashley Cole. Just seen an article on the beeb about him being inducted into the PL hall of fame. An incredible left back when he was at his peak and arguably one of the best of his generation. Cant imagine he's a legend for Arsenal or Chelsea though.
How is he not a Chelsea legend?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Is this based on anything? For most Inter fans who were alive when he came he'd be the single greatest player they've seen play for their club. He was insane in his first season. He's also inducted to their Hall of Fame.

Munkehboi

How is he not a Chelsea legend?
Need to ask more Chelsea fans about this one. I only have one friend whose a Chelsea fan and he still dosent rate him as highly as Greame Le Saux or Azpiliceuta. Just think its the Arsenal link that he dosent like to be fair.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Seems very low standard to be considered Real Madrid legends

Anelka, Arbeloa, Asensio, Baljic, Beckham, Cannavaro, Casilla :lol:, Celades, Coentrao, Danilo :lol:
Just to name a few.
I don't agree with it but the logic on the official page is simply: if you won the European Cup while at Real Madrid you are a legend / notable player.

Anyway it says "players" rather than "legends" on the main page now, but still says 'legend' in some pages, so it's all a bit confusing.

alexthelion

I'd argue he's number 3, with Best number 2 and Sir Bobby as number 1, however anyone who argues Ronaldo isn't a United legend knows feck all about football IMO
Not a legend because he sullied his reputation with his second spell.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
This is a good question to do a bit of thinking back on,

How you rate a 'legend' will influence the answers, I would of thought at least 150+ games and not to have played for a direct or disliked rival.

Here are some in tiers of quality for me:

Tier 1 - Ronaldo (Brazil), Zlatan, Baggio
Tier 2 - Tevez, Pogba, Eto, Anelka
Tier 3 - Andy Cole, Robbie Keane, Owen, Ginola, Di Canio, Stam
Tier 4 - Ince, Adebayor, Joe Cole, Collymore
Tier 5 - Crouchy

Always going to be exceptions but off top of my head, they'd be some I think wouldn't be considered a specific club legend although some are certainly legendary footballers

alexthelion

I don't think it's such a bad shout to question it. I'm 45 if my age is important. He's borderline for me on the basis that I think you can only have so many legends.

There's 3 goalkeepers I'd possibly put ahead of him. Schmeichel I thought was better, was here longer and helped us to win slightly more. Gregg, in part for being an amazing human being during the Muinch air disaster and trying to save the lives of his teammates by pulling them from the wreckage. Stepney can't be considered better than Van der sar, but perhaps more legendary for being part of our 1st European Cup triumph as the first to do something is always a little bit more special, plus he played quite a lot more games for us than Edwin did too.

I don't want to put strict quotas on things and say you can only have a particular number of legends, or so many in each position but there'd come a point where the meaning of the word can get watered down if there's too many.

I definitely wouldn't say someone was wrong to consider Van der sar a legend, not least for the fact that it's personal opinion. Beyond that though, he's got to be close even on my list.
Personally think Van de Sar was better, automatically qualifies him as a legend (would be even if not).

United goalies I've seen would in order of ability would be VdS, Schmeichel, Stepney, though it could be argued that Stepney is the bigger legend of the three.

alexthelion

I don't think it's unreasonable to say he's not a bonafide United legend. There was 100% an element of the fanbase who never warmed to him completely, I found him very unlikable, regardless of his talent (the huge majority of which we didn't see until he went to Madrid).

Most talented player we have had? Maybe. Best player United have had playing for them? Not a chance.
The right answer.

alexthelion

Ronaldo is not a United Legend. As soon as he hit his peak he fecked off and then there was all that nonsense with Piers Morgan when he came back. He left in disgrace and I can't see him getting any statues.
If only there was an like button.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Is this based on anything? For most Inter fans who were alive when he came he'd be the single greatest player they've seen play for their club. He was insane in his first season. He's also inducted to their Hall of Fame.
If you ask most fans they will remember him as a Real Madrid player

IRELANDUNITED

Suarez?

Done good things at Ajax, Liverpool and Barca. Was starting out at Ajax so not a legend there, played extremely well at Liverpool but obviously won f*ck all with them and despite all he achieved at Barca is it enough to class him among the legends of the club?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Legend. Most useless word ever.

Ban this word. Only use it for charity matches, in which will only highlight how useless that word is.

Borninthe80ts

Maybe Gary Lineker? Played for similar rated teams in England for a similar amount of time. Kind of a legend for what he did for England and playing for Barca. Kind of a great player for being Englands main striker for most romanticised period.

Also shows support to all former clubs generally fairly.