Great players who didn't win much

Hammondo

Uh no. A PL great is different from a world generational great which is different from a world all-time great. Depends what standard you are applying, which the OP does not clarify. It's just logic
Yes ok an all time PL great, I do not think hes up there.

MegadrivePerson

Bruno Fernandes currently only has an English League cup, a Portuguese Fa cup and two Porteugese league cup medals to his name.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We won the PL with Van Persie with no opposition, it was less competitive than the season that has just finished, we won by default just as Leicester City did, but obviously there is a big difference.
This isn't correct. RvP made Mancini essentially give up, he said RvP was the difference between United and City that season. And I can see why. Remember the derby? RvP freekick.

Hammondo

This isn't correct. RvP made Mancini essentially give up, he said RvP was the difference between United and City that season. And I can see why. Remember the derby? RvP freekick.
Second place didn't even get 80 points, it was one is the weakest pl seasons to date. City were poor, Mancini was sacked because of it.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yes ok an all time PL great, I do not think hes up there.
He scored 190 goals for Arsenal and Manchester United. In 383 games. He's also the leading scorer in the history of the Netherlands national team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Robson and Gerrard are very similar players here. Both were a bit Roy of the Rovers, capable of brilliant individual performances to win games but neither were great team players. Robson kept us afloat for years just as Gerrard did Liverpool, but both teams got better after they left. I think both achieved roughly what they were capable of.
Sorry I have to disagree, Robson was a world class midfielder, I'm convinced England could have won the WC in 86 if hadn't been injured, there's zero chance Maradona would have scored that "wonder" goal if Robson had been there because he'd have flattened him before he got anywhere near the goal

SungSam7

The people putting dirt on Gerrards name here is shocking, if you don't think he was great, hate to see what they think of Lampard!

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Sorry I have to disagree, Robson was a world class midfielder, I'm convinced England could have won the WC in 86 if hadn't been injured, there's zero chance Maradona would have scored that "wonder" goal if Robson had been there because he'd have flattened him before he got anywhere near the goal
I once heard Terry Christian, the much maligned former presenter of yoof culture TV show the Word (and big United fan) make this claim and it's interesting to consider but impossible to know for sure whether he would have made any difference. I love Robson but one has to wonder why England didn't do anything in 1982 (despite him breaking the record for the fastest ever goal at the WC) if his presence was such a sure signifier of England glory.

Christian pointed to the 1984 CWC game between United and Barcelona which Robson dominated and in which Maradona was anonymous in as evidence that Robbo would have dealt with Diego in 86 and stopped the goal of the century. Couple of problems with that: two completely different teams in England and
Argentina, much more high profile competition and most importantly, Maradona was fit and at the absolute peak of his powers. The CWC game took place only a few months after he'd come back from having his ankle shattered by Goikoetxea.

But who knows?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I once heard Terry Christian, the much maligned former presenter of yoof culture TV show the Word (and big United fan) make this claim and it's interesting to consider but impossible to know for sure whether he would have made any difference. I love Robson but one has to wonder why England didn't do anything in 1982 (despite him breaking the record for the fastest ever goal at the WC) if his presence was such a sure signifier of England glory.

Christian pointed to the 1984 CWC game between United and Barcelona which Robson dominated and in which Maradona was anonymous in as evidence that Robbo would have dealt with Diego in 86 and stopped the goal of the century. Couple of problems with that: two completely different teams in England and
Argentina, much more high profile competition and most importantly, Maradona was fit and at the absolute peak of his powers. The CWC game took place only a few months after he'd come back from having his ankle shattered by Goikoetxea.

But who knows?
Actually I was at that Barca game and also when England played Argentina at Wembley in 79 or 80 I think it was, Maradona was anonymous in both and I think Ray Wilkins had a lot to do with that in both games

Regarding 86, if you watch the second goal, Peter Reid basically watches Maradona go past him, Robbo would have stopped him by fair means or foul IMO

Aboutreika18

Well wasnt he that game? DM, CM, RB almost Gk the way he was going. You should cool down with your comments mate though I did not have a go at you
He was DM in the first half and was atrocious, one of the main reasons Milan were cutting through Liverpool so easy and went 3-0 up.

Only when Rafa brought on Hamann at halftime and moved Gerrard further forward, away from being a defensive liability, did he start influencing the game.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Actually I was at that Barca game and also when England played Argentina at Wembley in 79 or 80 I think it was, Maradona was anonymous in both and I think Ray Wilkins had a lot to do with that in both games

Regarding 86, if you watch the second goal, Peter Reid basically watches Maradona go past him, Robbo would have stopped him by fair means or foul IMO
Not sure about your memory there mate, Maradona was far from anonymous in the Wembley game, there's a famous clip that is often replayed from that game when he beat four players and flicked the ball just past the post, narrowly failing to score an all time great goal.

As for Robbo stopping him in 86, I guess we'll never know. But it's fun to speculate.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not sure about your memory there mate, Maradona was far from anonymous in the Wembley game, there's a famous clip that is often replayed from that game when he beat four players and flicked the ball just past the post, narrowly failing to score an all time great goal.

As for Robbo stopping him in 86, I guess we'll never know. But it's fun to speculate.
Well it was 40 odd years ago and I'd had a good few pints by then :) but I recall that England won the game pretty comfortably

As for 86, yeah we'll never know but having watched Robbo as many times as I did I just don't see Maradona getting away like that without getting wacked, if that had been United it wouldn't have happened, Nutty Norman would have gotten him if Robbo didn't :)

Red Rash

Two of the greatest English goalscorers Shearer and Kane haven't won much considering they will probably be number 1 and 2 in the all time premier league top scorer chart for the foreseeable future.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
The disrespect for Van Persie is staggering. If you look at stats, his goals to game ratio is pretty great. If you don't just look at stats, you could see how great he was. A complete striker with an all time highlight reel. Free kicks, volleys, skills, he had everything. Actually carried United to the title.

When RVP signed, SAF told the squad to make sure to get the ball to Van Persie or you'll be benched. He then became player of the year, top scorer, goal of the season etc.

At Arsenal he was already a great player, but had a bad supporting cast and injuries hampered him.

That 2 year peak (last season Arsenal, first season United, where he was finally injury free, he proved his greatness.

All time top scorer for the Dutch NT as well.

Hester_manc

Preben Elkjær: Won serie A with Verona one time.

He finished as number 3 in European Footballer of the Year awards in 1984, and in 1985 he finished as number two.

One of the best strikers ever:

Last edited:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Here's an all-touch comp of the 1980 game vs England. Definitely not an anonymous performance; i'd say it was an excellent one. England defend and close space collectively well (quite remarkable considering Guardiola and Klopp had not yet invented organised pressing)forcing lots of split-second decisions, but he gives them constant trouble anyway with great link-up play and dribbling. Almost scores a great solo goal and comes close to creating a few.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know the question doesn't quite fit him at all, but shootout to:

Marco van Basten

Hear me out though: a 3 time Balloon d'Or winner, national titles, CLs, Supercup, an EC etc - and somehow often gets forgotten when listings of greatest players of all time get drawn up. Was it the too early forced retirement, or should he have won a WC?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Here's an all-touch comp of the 1980 game vs England. Definitely not an anonymous performance; i'd say it was an excellent one. England defend and close space collectively well (quite remarkable considering Guardiola and Klopp had not yet invented organised pressing)forcing lots of split-second decisions, but he gives them constant trouble anyway with great link-up play and dribbling. Almost scores a great solo goal and comes close to creating a few.

He was applauded off the pitch as well after swapping shirts with Keegan (who was his idol, funnily enough). Definitely not an anonymous performance. But @Red in STL is correct in saying that England won the game decisively. Which was a big deal because the Argentina team contained 6 World Cup winners plus Maradona.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Daniele De Rossi
Hamsik
Antonio Di Natale
Jermaine Defoe

Theonas

Scout

Marco van Basten

Hear me out though: a 3 time Balloon d'Or winner, national titles, CLs, Supercup, an EC etc - and somehow often gets forgotten when listings of greatest players of all time get drawn up. Was it the too early forced retirement, or should he have won a WC?
Pure number 9s are rarely mentioned in a discussion of the greatest ever. Unless they have more to their game like superior dribbling or ball control or that wow factor like Brazilian Ronaldo. Van Basten was one of the greatest number 9s in history and should easily be included in any list of top players of his generation. But to be in the tier of Maradona, Pele, Messi or Cruyff, his overall game is that tiny bit lacking.

Cloud7

Did Sanchez win much at Barcelona? He would probably fit this criteria if he didn't

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Batistuta and Rui Costa didn't win that many.

Bobby Moore and Tom Finney, not many on club level.

KeanoMagicHat

Pure number 9s are rarely mentioned in a discussion of the greatest ever. Unless they have more to their game like superior dribbling or ball control or that wow factor like Brazilian Ronaldo. Van Basten was one of the greatest number 9s in history and should easily be included in any list of top players of his generation. But to be in the tier of Maradona, Pele, Messi or Cruyff, his overall game is that tiny bit lacking.
Van Basten was pretty good technically, if not as involved as the other players. What probably costs him more is injuries, he played his last game at 28 which is no age at all really. Benzema won the Ballon d’Or at 35. As a result he doesn’t have that many records to show, there’s not much padding to his career with all time records for Milan or Netherlands or anything and as time goes on people are reminded of him less.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Are there any greats of the game who surprisingly didn't actually win that much at club level?

Roberto Baggio
2 league titles
1 Coppa Italia
1 UEFA Cup

Totti
1 League title
2 Coppa Italias

Zidane
3 League titles
1 Champions League

Lilian Thuram
2 League titles
1 Coppa italia
1 UEFA cup

Maradona
2 League titles
2 Cups

Ronaldinho
2 League titles
1 Champions league

Ronaldo R9
2 League titles
1 UEFA Cup
Didn't win much? Most of those greats were continental and world champions with their national teams. Being a world champion beats shit load of league titles and cups.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Marco van Basten

If he survives to '94 Holland have a great chance of winning it. Him and Bergkamp were a hot partnership at Euro '92, and with the existing survivors from '88 (Koeman and Rijkaard) plus the emerging Ajax boys, they'd have been right up there. There was next to nothing between them and Brazil in the quarters and the winner of that game becomes the favourite for the title.