Greatest betrayals (in football)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
True but there was a movement to get him to declare for England and not Wales, no doubt fuelled by the fact he played for England Schoolboys.
No. Not an option, school is irrelevant. In an English school because his dad (Danny Wilson) played rugby league in England.

It's an urban myth like "Denis Law relegated United".

big rons sovereign

Betrayels :lol:

When footballers play for a football club is work, it's their job and for them just business.

Majority of cases, players playing for the club you are a fan of never grew up being a fan of the club you are a fan of. If i worked for Sony in the Playstation department i'd happily move to Microsofts Xbox department if they paid me more even though I've always played Playstation and never owned an Xbox console.
Xbox is superior

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Shakhtar defender Yaroslav Rakitskiy moving to Zenit in 2019 made him a very disliked figure among a lot of Ukrainians and he got kicked out of the national team (where he had 54 caps)

The Ukrainian players that decided to play for Russia instead of Ukraine in the early '90s like Kanchelskis, Onopko and Tsymbalar were widely disliked but that was just in the typical realms of salty football fans due to the much lesser geopolitical tensions of the time.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
João Moutinho from Sporting to Porto was probably the biggest one in Portugal in the modern era.

I do think there is a level of difference in magnitude of "betrayal" between situations when a player changes from his first (or "boyhood") club to a rival against the wishes of fans, from situations like the Tevez one.

Sometimes the moment and previous behaviour has a lot of impact too. Harshest blow I got as a fan was Villas-Boas going to Chelsea, though I have no antipathy for Chelsea. It was the way he sold himself to us during his time here. That made it a surprise, unlike other situations where it's obvious you will lose the player/manager eventually.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Roberto Baggio from fiorentina to juventus

Ronaldo played for both Milan sides, as well as Real and Barca.
it’s seemingly not so much of an issue in Italy, and pretty common.

a lot of it depends on the way the players act, so the show the respect required. Tevez is the perfect example. If it wasn’t for the ‘welcome to Manchester’ and ‘RIP Fergie’ incidents, it would not have been such an issue.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
it’s seemingly not so much of an issue in Italy, and pretty common.

a lot of it depends on the way the players act, so the show the respect required. Tevez is the perfect example. If it wasn’t for the ‘welcome to Manchester’ and ‘RIP Fergie’ incidents, it would not have been such an issue.
Interesting isn't it, especially the mix and match culture in Italy. I guess there's more of a history of them having multiple top teams competing over long time periods rather than the success of the league coming down to 2-3 top clubs as it does in Spain, England Germany.

Also in the case of Ronaldo, he basically had two different careers - pre-1998 world cup/2002 world cup and beyond.

Luke1995

Torres to Chelsea could have been a movie

Early in the season he scored twice and Liverpool beat them

Then the transfer is announced in the last day of the transfer window and his debut is against Liverpool

Can't imagine how Liverpool fans felt

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Torres to Chelsea could have been a movie

Early in the season he scored twice and Liverpool beat them

Then the transfer is announced in the last day of the transfer window and his debut is against Liverpool

Can't imagine how Liverpool fans felt
Probably alright in the end because he turned to dogshit

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Ronaldo leaving Inter for Real in 2002 was a very low character move.