Greatest Dribbler of All Time

Schneckerl

Top 5 (not in order) for me are Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Best and Cruyff

Not a fan of Garrincha, even compared to other players of his era like Pele or Sivori

Heath.1967

Best Ball conduction : Maradona
Best Close Control :Messi
Best in tricks, skills, power, speed and also extremely good close control (goat level close control) than you get Ronaldo Fenomeno
Ronaldinho is a great skiller but it's usually more flashy than effective

Reactions: Invictus

Stacks

My top 3 in that order:

Messi
Maradona
George Best.

Others who will be in my top 20, but not in any order, and I am not including players who I have not seen much either youtube or tele.

Luis Ronaldo
Garrincha
Cruyff
Stanley Matthews
Ronaldinho
Rivelino
Zico
Pele
Omar Sivori
Jimmy Johnstone
Savicevic
Ariel Ortega
Robert Prosinecki
Jay-Jay Okocha
Littbarski
Andres Iniesta
Resenbrink
I have Maradona ahead of him at both passing and dribbling, and a few levels above in terms of skills with the ball.

In terms of pure dribbling it is close between Garrincha, Maradona and Best.
Maradona, Best, Messi. In no particular order. Messi is the greatest dribbler I have ever seen. Youtube is difficult to grasp the ability of dribbling, but Best and Maradona looked incredible.

What they all have in common is the ball seemed to be glued to their foot.
I don't see what best has over Ronaldinho to be honest but fair play as his dribbling is revered. Best dribbling ability looked much like Giggsy's but its difficult to guage especially that all we now have is youtube videos where players are merely lunching in and look to be running through mud.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I don't see what best has over Ronaldinho to be honest but fair play as his dribbling is revered. Best dribbling ability looked much like Giggsy's but its difficult to guage especially that all we now have is youtube videos where players are merely lunching in and look to be running through mud.
Best is similar to Messi in style, and Giggs nah, not even close to what Best did.
As for Ronaldinho, I do not think he was even better than say R9. He is just an upgraded version of Neymar IMO, not that it is a bad thing, but I prefer the close control and simple feints kinda dribbling that Messi, Best and Maradona do.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Arjen Robben doesn't get enough appreciation for how good his dribbling is.

Unlike Ronaldinho, Messi and a lot other great dribblers I've seen play he's actually quite predictable. Everyone knows which way he wants to go and what he wants to do - yet he does it so often at the highest level. He may not have ever reached Messi/Ronaldo levels but without injuries I definitely think he'd be considered among the great wingers of the game. Incredible player.

DoubleRevv

Ronaldinho
Messi
Okocha

Didnt watch soccer before the invention of colour tv so have to take the word of those who claim Pele is a god

Chex

The way in which R9 slowed down defenders and then exploded with pace past them is the best I have ever seen. He would almost lure them in then just accelerate at a scary pace that they couldn’t react quick enough to even try to tackle.

Reactions: Invictus

ROFLUTION

:lol:

Djalminha was another great Brazilian dribbler who was somewhat pointless.
Yeah except he bought the La Liga trophy to Deportivo as the main-man in 2000 :houllier:

Many decisive dribbles and plays from him, who was also one of the first (the first?) to do the elastico and the pass with the back, which Ronaldinho later became known for.

Luke1995

A mention to Fernando Torres. Even though most of his dribbles were while trying to reach the goal, some of the moves he managed to pull off while in full speed were mesmerizing. He didn't just sprinted past players, he could change the direction of the ball quite fast too. Yeah, far from one of the greatests because once the pace was gone there were no more dribbles, but for a short period of time, he was a very good dribbler.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
A mention to Fernando Torres. Even though most of his dribbles were while trying to reach the goal, some of the moves he managed to pull off while in full speed were mesmerizing. He didn't just sprinted past players, he could change the direction of the ball quite fast too. Yeah, far from one of the greatests because once the pace was gone there were no more dribbles, but for a short period of time, he was a very good dribbler.
Torres was a sprinter with few moves here and there. Plus his touch was always a suspect.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Apart for the usual suspects Robben should be up there and also Figo imo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Torres’ greatest ‘trick’ for me was his ability to stop a defender dead then accelerate away from him. His very first goal for Liverpool is a perfect example of this, I believe Terry was his victim on that occasion.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Arjen Robben doesn't get enough appreciation for how good his dribbling is.

Unlike Ronaldinho, Messi and a lot other great dribblers I've seen play he's actually quite predictable. Everyone knows which way he wants to go and what he wants to do - yet he does it so often at the highest level. He may not have ever reached Messi/Ronaldo levels but without injuries I definitely think he'd be considered among the great wingers of the game. Incredible player.
Messi is extremely predictable. Problem is, he could tell you exactly what he's going to do and you still couldn't stop it, so it makes no difference. Robben is the same in that he, too, could tell you what he's going to do and the end result would be no different.

It must be funny to scout players like this as a rival coach/staff and re-run the video over and over again to the players briefed on stopping the aforementioned and it still turn out the way it wasn't supposed to.

RooneyLegend

George Best. He's both a fantastic intricate dribbler and a powerful one. Messi imo is maybe the best ever at the former while Maradona probably the best at the latter but Best seems almost as capable as either I both. Watching his matches really is an honour, seems like someone with limitless capabilities.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've always thought there should be two categories for dribbling: those who have natural physical and athletic advantages in a separate grouping to those who did not and still could run through a team with ease.

The likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, Garrincha, Best and so forth all had breathtaking acceleration, slight of foot and a central core that basically meant once they got past their man, he wasn't going to catch them. It puts a defender in a different head-space and panic to someone who they might get to have several nips at because he has normal acceleration and/or pace.

Players like:

Prosinecki,

Riquelme,

Rivelino,

Iniesta,

Make it clear they can do what they're doing all game because they're slow enough for everyone to have a go at trying to dispossess them, which basically concluded with them being fouled rather than tackled.

I think an issue here is that the elite players in the first grouping were great at a number of things and remembered as more effective because of the amount of times their runs produced something of note. In isolation, as pure dribblers, is there actually more to what they're doing? If yes, then what is it? Close control? feints? beating their man? beating multiple opponents? Because, honestly, someone like Prosinecki or Iniesta, in terms of pure dribbling, spun opponents in knots even if what they produced at the conclusion of their runs wasn't as devastating or indelible as the likes of Maradona et al doing the same thing but then finishing it off with a goal or assist for the ages.

Just as with the passing thread, if you strip back all components and are left with 'pure' dribbling, there's a lot of lesser rated players who show an aptitude that is in company with the world-renowned greats.

Luke1995

Torres’ greatest ‘trick’ for me was his ability to stop a defender dead then accelerate away from him. His very first goal for Liverpool is a perfect example of this, I believe Terry was his victim on that occasion.
I totally understand why people remember him mainly for that. But sometimes he did come up with some isolated moments of brilliant dribbling which gets forgeted with time.

Oaencha

Vasilis Hatzipanagis was an absolute wizard. Shame he could never move to Central Europe.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Paddy McCourt
Stanley Matthews
Chris waddle
Gazza
GB did you follow much of Liam Coyle's career? Still a freaky talent as far as I'm concerned. Irish league wasn't that bad back then, he was playing for a shite team, his knee was strapped up to feck and seemed like it would fall off after one tackle, and there was still matches that he bossed whilst barely moving from the centre circle.

meamth

Cristiano Ronaldo isn't as neat as Messi, but he is one of the greatest dribbler. He deserves a credit as one of the best explosive dribbler ever to grace the football field. Yes not as efficient as Messi or Garrincha, but the effectiveness is immense.

He didn't win 5 Ballon D' Or for just putting the ball into the net.

Righteous Steps

Cristiano Ronaldo isn't as neat as Messi, but he is one of the greatest dribbler. He deserves a credit as one of the best explosive dribbler ever to grace the football field. Yes not as efficient as Messi or Garrincha, but the effectiveness is immense.

He's nowhere near the best.

Righteous Steps

Hazard has been the best dribbler in the world for the last couple years, it will take to he goes to Spain for people to truly acknowledge it though.

Has to be Maradona from players I have seen. Every time he got the ball half the opposition would go to him, flying in with tackles that would be a straight red in modern football, and he would still dance around all of them. I saw him at the end of his career and he was still unstoppable. I dread to think how good he would be with today's smooth pitches and tackling standards.

The only contender since would be Messi but i can never shake the feeling that he is playing in the perfect team and league for his style. Take either away and he would lose that extra edge.

redIndianDevil

Has to be Maradona from players I have seen. Every time he got the ball half the opposition would go to him, flying in with tackles that would be a straight red in modern football, and he would still dance around all of them. I saw him at the end of his career and he was still unstoppable. I dread to think how good he would be with today's smooth pitches and tackling standards.

The only contender since would be Messi but i can never shake the feeling that he is playing in the perfect team and league for his style. Take either away and he would lose that extra edge.
This is often used to dismiss Messi's brilliance but you can see the likes of Silva, Suarez running rings around PL defenders, what makes you think Messi would struggle in other leagues?

Moby

Dick
This is often used to dismiss Messi's brilliance but you can see the likes of Silva, Suarez running rings around PL defenders, what makes you think Messi would struggle in other leagues?
That's not a given. Veron was a world beater in Italy but failed in England. Messi's standards drop when he plays for Argentina so it's not unreasonable to say that his system has helped him massively.

I'm saying he would lose the edge that makes him clearly the best in the world, not that he would struggle. It's not like I'm suggesting La Liga is some amateur football league. It is just better suited to skillful attacking players than the PL.

Suarez was very good for a couple of seasons at Liverpool but he took it to another level once he settled in Spain.

Heath.1967

Sorry to say in dribbling department he's not even top 10 in the last 10 years.
United C. Ronaldo was a good dribbler but that's it; never impressed me like the usual all time greats.

Last edited by a moderator: