Greatest ever performance

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Slightly inspired by the newbies best world cup performer thread.

What is the single greatest performance on a football pitch you've seen? Can obviously be extended to games that have been watched back, but who has the best 90 minutes on a pitch?

You've got Maradona at the world cup, Geoff Hurst hat trick in a world cup final, Ronaldo hat trick to knock Atletico out etc.

What takes the accolade for you?

Moby

Dick
This is like asking what's the greatest song ever, and similarly I'd have a different answer every 5 minutes, but to kick things off:

Ronaldinho tearing Madrid down.

Zidane vs Brazil

Redondo taking apart the treble winning midfield

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Keane Vs Juventus easily the best single performance in a game if ever seen .

Why say something else that isn't?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Cantona away to City in the 93/94 season when we came back to win 2-3 led almost single handedly by the great man.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Neuer vs United in 2011 was probably the greatest GK performance I’ve seen.
Honestly struggling to think of a single greatest off-field performance, but surely Ronaldinho vs Madrid is up there, to see a standing ovation from the Madrid crowd to a Barca player was something else.

Last edited:

Negan

Ronaldo against Sweden in the 2014 WC Qualifiers.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Honestly struggling to think of a single greatest off-field performance, but surely Ronaldinho vs Madrid is up there, to see a standing ovation away to from the Madrid crowd to a Barca player was something else.
Neuer vs Porto was even more insane. By far the most unreal performance by a goalkeeper that I have seen during my lifetime.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ronaldo against Spain in the WC 2018 is up there. I think it was a difficult game to be good at and he was amazing.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Honestly struggling to think of a single greatest off-field performance, but surely Ronaldinho vs Madrid is up there, to see a standing ovation from the Madrid crowd to a Barca player was something else.
Neuer vs Porto was even more insane. By far the most unreal performance by a goalkeeper that I have seen during my lifetime.
Tim Krul vs Spurs was the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen. A random match that to this day I have no idea why I watched but should have easily been a 5 or 6 goal margin.

Canagel

Joe Hart in the camp nou was also superb. barcelona couldve scored about 10 goals if he wasn't there.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Robben vs Czech in 2004.

Then Advocaat subbed him off for Bosvelt after 65 minutes.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Ronaldo Vs us in 2003
This is the one I personally think of as the greatest performance I've seen. Been in awe of him ever since. Although I do think it's tough for defenders to get recognition in these things and as @Moby pointed out; Baresi against Brazil was a sight to behold.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
David Beckham against Greece in 2001 was as close to a one man team performance as I've seen.
Yip.

It wasn't just that he was excellent, the rest of the team were shite that day. In a lot of the other examples, one player might have been great in a decent team - England that day were dog awful. Beckham was running to take throw ins, tracking back, tackling, crossing..... and with all the pressure, scoring.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Messi vs City
Ronaldo vs us in 2003
Zidane vs Brazil 2006
Quaresma vs Brazil at the Emirates was class if only a friendly.
Neuer vs Schalke was ridiculous
Ronaldinho vs Madrid

Reiver

Jurgen Kohler against us in the UCL 1997, in one of the legs, has always stuck in my head as one of the best defensive performances I've seen.

El Jefe

Keane Vs Juventus easily the best single performance in a game if ever seen .

Why say something else that isn't?
I don't even think he was the best player on the pitch that day let alone being the best individual performance ever.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Fellaini vs Man utd, where he was playing like pelé.

El Jefe

Don't know about the best but some of the most memorable for me are;

Rooney vs Fenerbache 2004
Rivaldo vs Manutd 1999
David Silva vs Hull 2014. City had 10 players early on and Silva was unbelievable and also scored the winning goal

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Messi vs Arsenal 2010. The first half by Barca against Arsenal in the First leg at the Emirates remains the best 45 minutes of football I've ever seen. Incredible the game ended 2-2.

Canagel

Messi vs Arsenal 2010. The first half by Barca against Arsenal in the First leg at the Emirates remains the best 45 minutes of football I've ever seen. Incredible the game ended 2-2.
I remember this one. Messi's finishing was actually off in this game but you're right the football of Barcelona in the 1st period was from another planet. here's the highlights for whoever didn't see the game:

incredible football.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Don't know about the best but some of the most memorable for me are;

Rooney vs Fenerbache 2004
Rivaldo vs Manutd 1999
David Silva vs Hull 2014. City had 10 players early on and Silva was unbelievable and also scored the winning goal
Rivaldo vs Valencia 2001 is worth watching

Context:
Round 37
Valencia 63 37 18 9 10 53 31
Barcelona 60 37 16 12 9 77 55

Barca - Valencia final game of the season for the last CL spot

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Ronaldo vs Sweden and Spain was better than the Atletico performance. Also which one are you talking about? The home leg of 2016-17 was his best vs Atletico.

Bojan11

Lewandowski vs Madrid in 2013 was something special considering it was semi finals of a champions league.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Zidane v Brazil in 2006 really made me a football fan

Only Messi vs Madrid in 2017 has matched that (3-2 in a potential league-decider).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ronaldo's hattrick against Sweden in 2013 (?) was a finishing masterclass.

Ronaldinho v Madrid
Ronaldo v us. He was supposed to be finished!

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Team performance: Barca 5-0 R. Madrid 2010. Wow.

Individual performance: Messi vs Real Madrid 2010. Made an undefeated Madrid look a pub team.

Live team performance: Chelsea 3-1 Barcelona 2000. First half of this game gave me goosebumps.

Live individual performance: Tough so picking 3.

1)Zola vs Barcelona 2000. Their defence couldn’t get close to him in the first half, his off the ball movement, dribbling freekick goal and assist for Flo was Zola in full beast mode.

2) Hazard vs Newcastle 2014. Not just the hattrick but the fact that Newcastle pretty much went 3v1 on him at all times and he still tore them apart

3) Messi vs Chelsea 2006. Took Del Horno’s career away with him when he left the stadium that night. He was just a kid who had destroyed my team but I was thankful I was there to watch him do it.

Trizy

Bale vs Inter Milan
Zlatan vs England

Team performance:
Germany vs Brazil
Bayern vs Barcelona (7-1 agg).