Greatest football club of all time.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Who do you think is the greatest football club of all time? Not a side but the club overall.

Many people say it is Real Madrid based on their 30+ League titles and 9 European cups and some people say Man Utd have only won 3 so they are not the greatest ever (usually scousers) but for you what is the best club ever?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, no doubt it's Madrid. They've got the record to back it up.

I reckon you'd look at Domestic Championships first then use European Cups as a multiplier of some sort.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I guess Real Madrid, but 5 EC's in a row smells a bit fishy, I guess they were lucky that the European Cup started when it did. Their record doesn't speak of consistency, but rather of a period of extreme dominance.

Relevated

I guess Real Madrid, but 5 EC's in a row smells a bit fishy, I guess they were lucky that the European Cup started when it did. Their record doesn't speak of consistency, but rather of a period of extreme dominance.
Didn't they want to give us the european cup during the year the Munich air disaster occurred? But that wasn't allowed. Something like that

Cina

Madrid. Their reputation has been a bit blighted in recent times with their massive spending, but they're still the best overall.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Didn't they want to give us the european cup during the year the Munich air disaster occurred? But that wasn't allowed. Something like that
According to wiki yes

United only won one league game after the crash, causing their title challenge to collapse and they fell to ninth place in the league.[66] They did manage to reach the final of the FA Cup, however, losing 2–0 to Bolton Wanderers,[66] and even managed to beat Milan at Old Trafford in the semi-finals of the European Cup, only to lose 4–0 at the San Siro.[66] Real Madrid, who went on to win the trophy for the third year running, suggested that Manchester United be awarded the trophy for that year – a suggestion supported by Red Star Belgrade – but this failed to materialise.[67]

Relevated

Ok so Madrid is the strong favourite for obvious reasons, who is second? and where do Manchester United stand in all of this?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mardrids first 5 European Cups were a joke. You can't take them seriously when the competition had no real strong teams in it. Their league titles are a joke as well, why not consider Celtic as they have more league titles in a similarly competitive league?

AC Milan are top dogs for me every time.

Cina

Ok so Madrid is the strong favourite for obvious reasons, who is second? and where do Manchester United stand in all of this?
Second I would think, along with maybe Bayern and Milan. Barcelona were never really that brilliant until recent times.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Madrid. Their reputation has been a bit blighted in recent times with their massive spending, but they're still the best overall.
Recent years? Hadn't the spanish government been feeding them money for decades? Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that Franco gave Madrid a lot of support and backing from the banks, which in turn helped their success. Please correct me if I am wrong.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Second I would think, along with maybe Bayern and Milan. Barcelona were never really that brilliant until recent times.
Surely Liverpool have to be there as well with their record?

Cina

Recent years? Hadn't the spanish government been feeding them money for decades? Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that Franco gave Madrid a lot of support and backing from the banks, which in turn helped their success. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Probably. But back then spending was ridiculously low compared to now.

Cina

Surely Liverpool have to be there as well with their record?
Yeah could be, but then look at the last 20-25 years. That's a hell of a long time without a title. Us, Milan and Bayern have won shitloads in that period.

I'm always right

Mardrids first 5 European Cups were a joke. You can't take them seriously when the competition had no real strong teams in it. Their league titles are a joke as well, why not consider Celtic as they have more league titles in a similarly competitive league?

AC Milan are top dogs for me every time.
This!

if we're going on success then it's Milan, 5 European Cups since 1988, Real won 3 in that time. Those 5 in a row at the beginning of the tournament are just a joke and not worth consideration.

If we take '61 as the first time it got really competitive and Real finally lost a game, well, Real have FOUR and Milan have SEVEN!

For romance.... it's gotta be United.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yeah could be, but then look at the last 20-25 years. That's a hell of a long time without a title. Us, Milan and Bayern have won shitloads in that period.
How long did we go without a title?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Milan are technically the most successful side of all time I think. Or at least certainly in European competition. Their European Cups have also been won fairly consistently over an impressive span of decades. But in Italy, I think Juve are considered greater domestically oddly enough.

It's probably Madrid or them at any rate. If it's measurable.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Milan are technically the most successful side of all time I think. Or at least certainly in European competition. Their European Cups have also been won fairly consistently over an impressive span of decades. But in Italy, I think Juve are considered greater domestically oddly enough.

It's probably Madrid or them at any rate. If it's measurable.
27 titles to Milan's 18 and a larger fan base. But yes, they failed to replicate that success in Europe.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah, I went out with a girl from Torino. All her lot said Juve are the biggest team in italy. As do my cousins, and they live close to Milan. Which makes Milan's claim to be the greatest in the world slightly problematic.

kietotheworld

Boca Juniors maybe? 30 Argentine Titles, 6 Copa Libertadores, 3 World Titles.

Hal9000

Probably. But back then spending was ridiculously low compared to now.
Compared to now, yes. How ever "back in the day" that amount was considered a shit load for a football club to spend.

KGBhoy

The best fecking club is Manchester United of England. End of thread.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Real Madrid is the most historically prestigious club in the world by far.

KGBhoy

I am making a strong case by using an obscenity in my statement.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Football started before 1990, but it also started before 1960. Hard to say really, depends what you mean.

Perhaps a Brazilian club, but I'd say A.C Milan or Real Madrid.

SER19

United...brilliant history, so few managers throughout the history speaks volumes about the traditions of the club. wonderful players in every decade,some of the most enigmatic players that have every played the game and more importantly of all perhaps, have almost always won with drama and heart or at least gone out fighting.

Ac Milan second.
any south americans want to lend views on south american clubs?

davisjw

Real Madrid for me. For generations they have had an air of magic and prestige about them that no other club has that's as far reaching. While we (United) have fans all over the world, they are more bandwagon fans, joining because we're the best or we have an Asian player or some other shite reason.

Madrid has always had fans across the globe even back in the 50s. Plus Madrid always has the best players which makes them different.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Real Madrid for me. For generations they have had an air of magic and prestige about them that no other club has that's as far reaching. While we (United) have fans all over the world, they are more bandwagon fans, joining because we're the best or we have an Asian player or some other shite reason.

Madrid has always had fans across the globe even back in the 50s. Plus Madrid always has the best players which makes them different.
Kind of the same thing, isn't it. They already had a Galacticos policy in the 50's.

(not disagreeing that they're the biggest club in the world)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
United...brilliant history, so few managers throughout the history speaks volumes about the traditions of the club. wonderful players in every decade,some of the most enigmatic players that have every played the game and more importantly of all perhaps, have almost always won with drama and heart or at least gone out fighting.

Ac Milan second.
any south americans want to lend views on south american clubs?
Only 19 manager in 120 years of Manchester United history, if Wikipedia is right.

• A.H. Albut • James West • Ernest Mangnall • T. J. Wallworth • John Bentley • Jack Robson • John Chapman • Lal Hilditch • Herbert Bamlett • Walter Crickmer • Scott Duncan • Matt Busby • Jimmy Murphy • Wilf McGuinness • Frank O'Farrell • Tommy Docherty • Dave Sexton • Ron Atkinson • Alex Ferguson •

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Only 19 manager in 120 years of Manchester United history, if Wikipedia is right.

• A.H. Albut • James West • Ernest Mangnall • T. J. Wallworth • John Bentley • Jack Robson • John Chapman • Lal Hilditch • Herbert Bamlett • Walter Crickmer • Scott Duncan • Matt Busby • Jimmy Murphy • Wilf McGuinness • Frank O'Farrell • Tommy Docherty • Dave Sexton • Ron Atkinson • Alex Ferguson •
Just seeing how that compares and Chelsea have only had 26... 9 of which have been in the Abramovic.