Greatest player comebacks from adversity

Falcow

Probably Bobby Charlton to achieve what he did after seeing his mates die and almost himself too.

Kenny Dalglish also deserves a mention, I think he was playing when the Ibrox disaster happened, obviously Hysel and Hillsborough. In fairness to witness all three (open to correction on his presence as a player or fan at ibrox) and stay in the game to coach Blackburn to a league win is impressive.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Eduard Streltsov has an interesting story, although I always very conflicted about it (I'll extrapolate later). He was genuinely one of the world's brightest talents in the 50's – finished 13th in Ballon d'Or in 1956 aged 18, got 7th the next year and scored 18 goals in 20 international games up to the point when...
Right before the beginning of the 1958 World Cup he was arrested and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

He was released after 5 years, but he was still banned from playing football – that ban would only be revoked 2 years later (and just for the club football, they had granted him the right to play for the national team again only in 1966, after the World Cup had ended). After he got back – and this wasn't a modern prison, it was a Soviet prison labour camp, he had won the league, the cup and twice became Soviet Footballer of the Year, also finishing as a runner-up once. Truly insane.

The issue is – he got sentenced for rape... generally not many people believe that he did it, there's no trust in Soviet justice system at all and the case was quite clearly politically motivated. Even if it wasn't fabricated, the insanely short length of the trial and the very harsh (compared to a usual sentence for that) sentence certainly don't help the situation.

Anyway, he's generally seen as a martyr that got destroyed by USSR's political system, but the thing is, it's entirely possible that the rape had actually happened and it was simply used as a cause to teach him (and the country) a lesson. In which case it's kind of hard to root for him. He had denied his involvement in this all of his life (including some shady comments like "it wasn't me who should've been imprisoned"), but I doubt that we'll ever learn the truth.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Salvador Cabanas. Scoring for fun in Mexico. He also had scored 6 goals for Paraguay in the qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup. He was shot in the head but survived. Played two years later, not to anything great but still remarkable he came back.

Alan Ruschel, survived the plane crash that killed majority of the Chapecoense team in 2016. Still playing for the club.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Did Goikoetxea only receive a yellow for that tackle?
Only a yellow during the game, but he was later suspended for 10 matches by the RFEF...

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'd have to say Abidal. Didn't he play in the CL final in the Barca makeshift defence very shortly after his transplant? Like within a month or two of the operation?

Foxbatt

If it is for all sports, then in cricket Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi coming back to play test cricket with one normal eye. He injured the eye in a car accident.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
People might not agree but one of the main reasons i feel Ronaldo is far superior to messi is all the criticism he got throughout his career which just seen to drive him on, from media scrutiny, booed in practically every away stadium, chants of messi all the time, aswell as allegations of all sorts which could of caused him to mentally break down

Messi has had the easiest run if everyone in football

Supports
England
Since we're doing a bit of an all sports thing: Andy Murray. I know his comeback is still ongoing with a very uncertain future but he's already won a 250 and 500 (IIRC) with a fecking metal hip, which is unprecedented in tennis. I love Andy.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Could include Ronaldo Luis to this list with those two knee injuries that practically sidelined him for two and a half years. Probably rushed back to action too soon which resulted in the second, and more severe, injury.