Greenwood and Williams dropped for drinking issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

I'm not backing Greenwood here but imagine being 18 and not being able to discover drinking and the opposite sex as freely as most people do in University etc.
Fair enough. On the other hand he is earning money 99% of guys in his age could only dream of. He could easily hang up his boots and find another job. If football is what he wants to do however, keeping yourself fit and stay disciplined is what he has to do. Got enough time to bang chicks and get drunk during summer.

Not saying any of these reports are true though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well it looks like this rumour has been destroyed... again.

:rolleyes: Why do people bother making this sort of stuff up?

RedRover

I have seen a number of footballers contracts. Just because you've read an article like that - clearly trying to play up the irreverent nature of how some clubs do it and some of the unusual rules they may have, doesn't mean the players contract sets out a schedule of hundreds of specific rules designed to deal with every occasion. That's not how contracts generally work, and I know that since I draft them for a living. He will, of course have a general obligation to comply with team rules and behave reasonably overall and if not, can be punished, as we all can at work.

That aside, you've totally missed my point. He will know he's done wrong, and he's been punished for it in the best way - not being able to play football, which I suspect is the worst thing you can do to him. Imagine the club pointing out "...You're in breach of term X of your contract..."? How would you react to that as an 18 year old? It's like being at school. Do you not think it's be better for someone from the club to sit him down, tell him how it is and try to deal with it sensibly?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So is the issue getting caught or the behavior itself? I would say a teenager with loads of money acting like a responsible adult is the outlier. Just because they aren't in the news doesn't mean it isn't happening. Mason Greenwood also has a higher profile than most teenagers, so it's expected something like this would be news for him.

Maybe it's because I remember how impulsive and clueless I was at 19.
Its never about the act. It's about being responsible enough not to do it for 3 days on your first international call.

Nobody expecy them to celibate but just respect that it's not the time nor the place.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I have seen a number of footballers contracts. Just because you've read an article like that - clearly trying to play up the irreverent nature of how some clubs do it and some of the unusual rules they may have, doesn't mean the players contract sets out a schedule of hundreds of specific rules designed to deal with every occasion. That's not how contracts generally work, and I know that since I draft them for a living. He will, of course have a general obligation to comply with team rules and behave reasonably overall and if not, can be punished, as we all can at work.

That's aside, you've totally missed my point. He will know he's done wrong, and he's been punished for it in the best way - not being able to play football, which I suspect is the worst thing you can do to him. Imagine the club pointing out "...You're in breach of term X of your contract..."? Do you not think it's be better for someone from the club to sit him down, tell him how it is and try to deal with it sensibly?

players are not allowed to drink alcohol x hours/days before a game. It’s an established doctrine post Wenger.
They are also not allowed to have non team staff in their hotel bedroom.

You’ve been proven wrong. Your post is the absolute worst. That’s it. Nothing else to say.

Rolaholic

He was an injury doubt for the Newcastle game then he picked up an injury during the game, nowt strange about it.
Thought he looked good though,better than he has as of late so didn't think it'd be serious enough to keep him out of a big tie like tomorrow.

Might've gotten reaggrevated in training.

90 + 5min

No need do defend him IF he got himself in trouble and the rumours are true.

There must be consequence. People say he is young. He is but at the same time, there are plenty of young kids all around world that don't get in trouble. He is destroying his path to being a very good player.

MileStolar

I say boot him, we should demonstrate that we won't allow even our brightest prospect to be acting like a petulant child. It'll hurt us in short term but future prospects will have an example of our ruthlessness, it will teach then to stay focused or get fecked.
The bomb has been planted

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was an injury doubt for the Newcastle game then he picked up an injury during the game, nowt strange about it.
Absolute bollocks. Maguire’s been dropped cause he got caught feeding Greenwood a bottle of Lambrini In Morrison’s while Williams was doing Poppers in the corner of Manchester Victoria.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Heh. Nice one.

EDIT: (that being said I wouldn't bet against him sorting those girls out too and seeing them go on to become a clerk and a schoolteacher)

Sort them out :lol: I think you might be showing your age a bit here.

Girls who may potentially go on to have modelling careers or becoming social media influencers is not exactly something that needs ‘sorting out’.

Especially if they go on to make good money, rather that than become an overworked, underpaid school teacher or a clerk that will be lucky to make 30k a year tops.

Why would anyone want that when they have potential for much more.

el3mel

Pretty weird really some of the excuses said here for him. We all love him as a player but he needs to be absolutely punished for things like drinking that can destroy his career going forward. It's better for him to realize the route he's moving on outside the pitch is simply wrong and be corrected, rather than making excuses for him and acting like it's Ok.

Rolaholic

So both him and Williams are in the team for tomorrow after all...

Wheato

Jesus, look at you lot gossiping like a bunch of housewives in the launderette. Nothing to see here but tittle tattle and hot air.

EOT

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What’s that got to do with anything? 1st cap, 100th cap? Why is the number so relevant?

The boy is just being an 18 year old boy. If you want to discuss habitual unprofessional behaviour then what about: Tevez, Balotelli, Terry, Giggs, Gallas, Bellamy, Barton, Adebayor, Suarez, Pennant, Adam Johnson, Rooney, Ashley Cole, Andy Carroll. Just to name a few who were old enough to know better and continued to make bad decisions.

Greenwood is absolutely normal and will be fine. Once he gets his raging alcoholism under control that is, according to one man on YouTube.
You’d think at his age on his first call-up he’d be doing everything to impress and wouldn’t be quite so entitled to think he can do whatever the feck he wants. You’re right though - I’ll change the question. How many other players have been sent home from international duty? I don’t think it’s normal...It’s a pretty rare event.

You’ve also chosen some cracking company there to show everything is fine. Half of that list didn’t reach their potential and some ended up in sodding prison. You also need to distinguish doing “amoral” things in their personal lives such as Giggs and Terry shagging people and professionalism. How were Giggs, Cole and Terry habitually unprofessional players? How many games did they miss due to being unprofessional? He was sent home from his first international call-up and has missed 50% of games this season due to a discipline breach and now possibly another behaviour breach. If true, and hopefully it isn’t true, but if true you’d have to be sodding crackers to think it’s not a cause for concern.

And on Rooney - I remember a certain game he missed around Christmas which ultimately ended in defeat and cost us the league title. I’m not entirely sure why the argument is well Rooney did it so it’s fine - it wasn’t acceptable when he turned up to training pissed either. If he was slightly more professional we may well be on 21 titles and he may not have been finished at 31.

snowkarl

The first stage of grief is denial and that sure is being proven well in this very thread

Sorry but the daddy's dick video with the 15 year old, broken curfews, house parties, Ole complaining about lack of discipline and too much xbox at night, sneaking girls into his rooms breaking sports bubbles on his first ever England cap, getting caught on social media doing laughing gas and now getting dropped because he had too much to drink before a game. And this is within 3 MONTHS.

How is that 'normal' or par for the course for a 19 year old pro? You ever see Rashford doing that stuff? How about the youngsters at other teams like Saka, Mount, Martinelli etc? All model professionals.

Anyone who thinks this is not a cause for worry or just 'rumours' is kidding themselves and just doesn't want to consider the fact that Greenwood isn't professional enough.

When you compare him to Giggs and Rooney you're engaged in something called bargaining, another stage in the grief process, telling yourself he is allowed 4 beers before a game because George Best used to do it or something... Once is a stupid mistake by a teenager. Twice - okay fine, but how many incidents before some people accept that he has behaviour issues that need to be set straight?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why is RedCafe allowing clear advertisement for someone’s YouTube channel that spouts complete bullshit?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
players are not allowed to drink alcohol x hours/days before a game. It’s an established doctrine post Wenger.
They are also not allowed to have non team staff in their hotel bedroom.

You’ve been proven wrong. Your post is the absolute worst. That’s it. Nothing else to say.
Might not be in the contract every do and don't, but surely every club has an employee handbook they agree to as part of the overall contract signing. With the past of some of the players at clubs im sure all bases have been covered in regards to anything and everything that brings the player and club into disrepute..[/QUOTE]

Andre Kagawa

The first stage of grief is denial and that sure is being proven well in this very thread

Sorry but the daddy's dick video with the 15 year old, broken curfews, house parties, Ole complaining about lack of discipline and too much xbox at night, sneaking girls into his rooms breaking sports bubbles on his first ever England cap, getting caught on social media doing laughing gas and now getting dropped because he had too much to drink before a game. And this is within 3 MONTHS.

How is that 'normal' or par for the course for a 19 year old pro? You ever see Rashford doing that stuff? How about the youngsters at other teams like Saka, Mount, Martinelli etc? All model professionals.

Anyone who thinks this is not a cause for worry or just 'rumours' is kidding themselves and just doesn't want to consider the fact that Greenwood isn't professional enough.

When you compare him to Giggs and Rooney you're engaged in something called bargaining, another stage in the grief process, telling yourself he is allowed 4 beers before a game because George Best used to do it or something... Once is a stupid mistake by a teenager. Twice - okay fine, but how many incidents before some people accept that he has behaviour issues that need to be set straight?
This.
You’d think at his age on his first call-up he’d be doing everything to impress and wouldn’t be quite so entitled to think he can do whatever the feck he wants. You’re right though - I’ll change the question. How many other players have been sent home from international duty? I don’t think it’s normal...It’s a pretty rare event.

You’ve also chosen some cracking company there to show everything is fine. Half of that list didn’t reach their potential and some ended up in sodding prison. You also need to distinguish doing “amoral” things in their personal lives such as Giggs and Terry shagging people and professionalism. How were Giggs, Cole and Terry habitually unprofessional players? How many games did they miss due to being unprofessional? He was sent home from his first international call-up and has missed 50% of games this season due to a discipline breach and now possibly another behaviour breach. If true, and hopefully it isn’t true, but if true you’d have to be sodding crackers to think it’s not a cause for concern.

And on Rooney - I remember a certain game he missed around Christmas which ultimately ended in defeat and cost us the league title. I’m not entirely sure why the argument is well Rooney did it so it’s fine - it wasn’t acceptable when he turned up to training pissed either. If he was slightly more professional we may well be on 21 titles and he may not have been finished at 31.
This. Very worrying behaviour indeed.

mu4c_20le

Jesus, look at you lot gossiping like a bunch of housewives in the launderette. Nothing to see here but tittle tattle and hot air.

EOT
Some people like to feel good by taking the moral high ground, even if the whole thing is based on rumours. It's weird.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How do you know?
And how do you know it is true? where is even the tiniest evidence from a proper source?

1 person making up a story because Greenwood and Williams weren't in 1 match day squad, but now suddenly Williams is back and Greenwood isn't?

so are they both being punished? or did Greenwood drink a few beers more so his is longer?

Or perhaps Greenwood just has a small illness or an injury from training, nobody knows.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yeah is any of this even true? Seems like a lot of wasted arguing and gossiping otherwise.
No it’s not. The only reason it’s flowing is because of people’s cognitive bias. They’ve bought into the narrative that Greenwood is a bad boy and will slurp up any rumour as a result. A media’s wet dream. This channels wet dream. Muppets will provide them clicks galore - easy money. They’re laughing

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The people calling for Greenwood to be kicked out of the squad - which seems to be a lot of people - are just....so...so stupid.

I honestly cant believe this. The witch-hunt for Maguire was bad, but at least he's a grown man. This is embarrassing.

"I don't care if he is fifteen, United players should hold themselves to a higher standard"

m9, our two biggest superstars were Georgie Best and Eric Cantona. Get a grip. You didn't hear the rumours about Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs back in the day?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why is RedCafe allowing clear advertisement for someone’s YouTube channel that spouts complete bullshit?
I agree. A YouTube channel run by a thug.
It’s also unsubstantiated and looking likely that it’s bs. So on that basis..

Status
Not open for further replies.