Guardiola confirmed to City... what does this mean for us?

Red_Aaron

Would've liked to see him here because his teams are terrifically entertaining. He hasn't the players at city that he's had elsewhere but no doubt they'll buy big for him. They'll have a successful few years then he'll piss off to psg I imagine.

If we really want something long term (10+ years) then none of this really changes much for us. The question is who can we identify to do that sort of job, I'm not even sure those managers exist anymore which perhaps explains the giggs option being touted so much by 'sources'

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He just isn't really ever up for a proper challenge is he? "Look how good I am at being a football manager of the very best teams with the very best players!".
Who is the last manager to take a proper challenge?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To be fair we're not the only team buggered by this news at least we have Mourinho to turn to, who the hell do Arsenal and Chelsea look to?

iKeano

Typical United fans, Pep moves to City and all of a sudden the sqauds average age is a talking point and how he might handle the pressure. The fact is City got their man and they will be willing to give him the same £250m United gave to LvG to transform the squad if needed. I know where my money is! We have bottled this and have been left behind.
True. All this talk about Utd being competa
In answer to the OP.

Let me put it this way.

You are Thiago Alcantara. You have been offered lucrative contracts to play either for LVG at United or Pep at City.

You don't need to be a genius to work out the answer. Substitute Alcantara with Bale, Neymar, Muller etc. and guess what?

The answer is the same.
I was hoping someone would convince me otherwise... But alas, I'm afraid I agree with you.

Bad times, while the fans take footballing shrapnel from all angles, the Glazers count their profits from commercial-savvy, but football knuckle-head, Ed.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Pep will improve City, sure of it. We need a top caliber manager. There is none better than Mourinho.
Not sure about that anymore

I can't think of many top managers (certainly not the best) who takes champions to relegation candidates in 6 months

Member 5225

We're in a lose-lose now btw.
Even if we sign Jose Mourinho, he'll be 'second choice' and there'll be so many more questions won't there...

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So the same people who said he was going to City are now having a breakdown because he is indeed going there?

Member 5225

Ps. still have a tiny feeling he might not succeed as people think IMHO

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah, it's bizarre. If we lose Giggs...then, well, we lose Giggs. I'd love for him to stick around since I'm sure he knows his football and can have a useful input, but if part of getting a new top manager involves getting rid of some coaching staff, which include him, then so be it

I respect giggs as a player but now He's like a bad smell you can't get rid of, he's been assistant coach during two dire managerial reigns, I fail to see what sort of input he has had if any because all I see every time it shows our bench is him looking completely clueless.

Whichever manager comes in absolutely needs to bring his own staff in.

Oo0AahCantona

I think it makes the strongest case to sign Mourinho as a counterbalance in the transfer market. Anyone of less stature cannot get the players we need.
I think its the only realistic option now to stop a very long barren spell. Mourinho and massive backing in the transfer market, or its essentially bust.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The suicide squad (Giggs, Scholes, Butt, the Valencia duo losers) will be given a chance

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I respect giggs as a player but now He's like a bad smell you can't get rid of, he's been assistant coach during two dire managerial reigns, I fail to see what sort of input he has had if any because all I see every time it shows our bench is him looking completely clueless.

Whichever manager comes in absolutely needs to bring his own staff in.
Yeah, he's kind of like an extra clause at the moment...like going out with an older woman who's incredibly good looking with an excellent personality, while knowing that in order to maintain the relationship, you'll also have to put in the effort with their slightly annoying kid.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah, he's kind of like an extra clause at the moment...like going out with an older woman who's incredibly good looking with an excellent personality, while knowing that in order to maintain the relationship, you'll also have to put in the effort with their slightly annoying kid.
Yeah thats a perfect description haha, nailed it there.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Said it in another Mourinho thread.

Regardless of head to head (which is partly down to players), when you go to war with Pep, you bring Jose.
Pep has the better head to head and drove Jose insane

It was like Fergie vs Rafa

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
hopefully not. and please..they are not losers. They just need to gain experience elsewhere.
hopefully in punditry. Its never nice to see former United players performing so poorly

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I've calmed down now. Pep is off the agenda. So to all the knowledgeable Cafters out there - who can United get as their next manager (would start a thread if I knew how the hell to do it) (I'm useless with that stuff:))

Let's assume the board is logical i.e. Ed - guy has a degree in Physics, then did accounting - sounds like a logical person....? - so that takes Giggs out of the equation.

Mourinho will have some fire in him if he gets the job I personally think he's always wanted. Plus he gets to lock horns with Guardiola again. But - he is a risk. Forget his poking people's eyes out etc, my worry is if he's lost his 'X' factor? Can't shake the feeling since his implosion at Madrid, that something's gone from his aura. Yes I know he won with the title with Chelsea but........ to implode like that afterwards is a bit worrying..

The only way I think I would feel more comfortable is if we had a proper behind the scenes structure which doesn't depend on the manager as such. Wouldn't want us to neglect moving the club forward in different ways and keeping our structure strong, so we don't go through another 'transition' as we have been doing since SAF left. I'm not quite sure Jose is the right person to leave all these details to. He may come and win a few trophies, but then what if it gets toxic and we deteriorate even more after he leaves? Would that mean we start all over again?

On the other hand, I can't see someone else out there with the chutzpah to handle what will now be a formidable 'foe' in Pep at City. Furthermore, we need to be seen to be aggressive and proactive.

Therefore, what other options are out there other than Mourinho that most people would be happy with?

ColvaleGoa

As much as we like to be in denial Pep had agreed to take over City. This is a Serious Coup for City.

Now it is up to us as to how we counter this situation. Well the vaord can pretend its all rosy and few injuries ruined our season and LvG is the right man to lead us to a glorious chapter:nono:. Or we go to a readymade replacement who is itching to get into the hot seat and give Pep a run for his money. That man is waiting for a phone call and his name is Mourinho! Right now the ball is in Woody's court ,,whether he smashes a win or double faults it is a waiting game that is going to put us fans through the wringer!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've calmed down now. Pep is off the agenda. So to all the knowledgeable Cafters out there - who can United get as their next manager (would start a thread if I knew how the hell to do it) (I'm useless with that stuff:))

Let's assume the board is logical i.e. Ed - guy has a degree in Physics, then did accounting - sounds like a logical person....? - so that takes Giggs out of the equation.

Mourinho will have some fire in him if he gets the job I personally think he's always wanted. Plus he gets to lock horns with Guardiola again. But - he is a risk. Forget his poking people's eyes out etc, my worry is if he's lost his 'X' factor? Can't shake the feeling since his implosion at Madrid, that something's gone from his aura. Yes I know he won with the title with Chelsea but........ to implode like that afterwards is a bit worrying..

The only way I think I would feel more comfortable is if we had a proper behind the scenes structure which doesn't depend on the manager as such. Wouldn't want us to neglect moving the club forward in different ways and keeping our structure strong, so we don't go through another 'transition' as we have been doing since SAF left. I'm not quite sure Jose is the right person to leave all these details to. He may come and win a few trophies, but then what if it gets toxic and we deteriorate even more after he leaves? Would that mean we start all over again?

On the other hand, I can't see someone else out there with the chutzpah to handle what will now be a formidable 'foe' in Pep at City. Furthermore, we need to be seen to be aggressive and proactive.

Therefore, what other options are out there other than Mourinho that most people would be happy with?
Simeone is the only vaguely plausible alternative I can think of.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just came to that conclusion in another thread (which was the appropriate thread it turned out for my question:)).

Just wonder if (a) our board would go for him and (b) would he be willing to leave Atleti?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Two or three weeks ago, I was watching a La Liga game and the spanish commentators mentioned the rumors of Simeone leaving Atletico, they laughed...

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
We'd have to spend about 300m to put a team together capable of playing Simeone's high working, run the shit off the park, brand of football.

He also doesn't speak English, or very much of it.

I'd go for Jose, only logical option.

Wicked_Badger

Please don't give me that. We tried it with LVG and splurging money for him and it has gotten us nowhere.
So are you saying we shouldn't spend and rely on a former player with no managerial experience to usher in another class of '92?

The Fergie years are over. To compete, we spend. Simple as that. It might not have worked out with LvG but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't with another.

If we'd gotten Pep would you have still been rooting for Giggs to take over today?