Guillermo Varela

CallyRed

Are there any YouTube video's of him that make him look a good player, so that my hopes will be raised?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Brilliant. Watched him a few times. I really like him.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was actually quite surprised when he was linked with us. Young, promising player, but never thought he was THAT special.

Good luck to him though, I hope the coaching he gets is worth missing out on week in-week out first team action.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
In fairness, Rafael is our only real right back.
I guess so, but Jones and Smalling make adequate cover, Fabio coming back can also go there, and Valencia if we desperately need him on an easy game. That said, he's only 20 years old and a natural RB cover may be useful/

Shark

@NotShark
Smalling, Jones and Valencia can do a job there alright, but it does make sense that we'd bring in a genuine RB at the same time. Has anybody seen this guy play live?

CallyRed

Would rather see less of Phil at right back and more in the centre, so makes sense in investing in an "out and out" right back.

NinjaFletch

I guess so, but Jones and Smalling make adequate cover, Fabio coming back can also go there, and Valencia if we desperately need him on an easy game. That said, he's only 20 years old and a natural RB cover may be useful/

Well that's exactly the point. Jones and Smalling do a good job, Valencia has probably been better at RB than RW this season and Fabio can play there, but they are all real make do and mend options.

Having a real RB and seeing Smalling and Jones play centrally with Fabio the cover on the left seems the best option.

Rafael will probably benefit from some proper competition too now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Has his medical in the morning.

Is he likely to go on loan, or will he slot into the U21 side?

antohan

Smalling, Jones and Valencia can do a job there alright, but it does make sense that we'd bring in a genuine RB at the same time. Has anybody seen this guy play live?
A few times but not much as he is not a first team regular. He was becoming one, had a great tourno with the under-20s (the clip up there is a good account of that) but then ruptured his knee ligaments a few months back and has largely played reserve football since.

The U-20 WC will be a good opportunity to see more of him.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Anyone know the fee?

I don't think we urgently need a RB but I'm always pleased with these kinds of transfers, some will come to nothing but others will turn out absolute bargains in the long run

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I hope he does well, should get a few games in the season but can't see him shifting rafael any time soon. Hopefully he's a chicharito style unknown commodity and not a bebe style one!

antohan

Anyone know the fee?

I don't think we urgently need a RB but I'm always pleased with these kinds of transfers, some will come to nothing but others will turn out absolute bargains in the long run
Can't see us having paid over a million for him, if that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
In all likelihood he'll be playing reserve football for a year or two anyway. He won't be getting in the first team any time soon, so it's hardly likely that this transfer is going to affect Jones, Smalling or Fabio's first team chances.

antohan

Yeah seems about right. Penarol is your team isn't it Anto?
Yups. His agent is well known for getting his players into Europe early and the grooming club getting little if anything.

Peñarol were quite supportive though, maybe they were confident of getting something out of it or just didn't have a leg to stand on contractually. It is clear he is well liked by all the coaching staff and they seem aware he is not going to be playing regularly for us because whenever the media try to make a story out of it they are quite quick in lowering expectations. Most of them have focused on him keeping his feet on the ground, enjoying his first medal (Peñarol won the league on Tuesday) and the U20WC. One thing at a time and all that.

There was no mention of money throughout though, which indicates to me it's a low cost deal.

Devil may care

Manchester United are poised to sign Uruguay youngster Guillermo Varela.
Valera's Uruguayan club, Penarol, claim the 20-year-old, who spent time on trial at United near the end of last season, is now set to join the Premier League champions.

The right-back is understood to be joining for an initial fee of £1million, with the value of the deal potentially rising to £2.5m.

Varela, who will play for Uruguay at the Under-20s World Cup in Turkey later this month, will become the first signing under new boss David Moyes as he tweaks the squad inherited from the retiring Alex Ferguson.

Penarol club treasurer Rodolfo Catino was said to be travelling with Varela to Manchester to complete the deal, although it is not clear if the defender will be loaned back to the Montevideo club for next season.

Catino tweeted: "In San Pablo airport waiting for the connection to London, with Guille [Varela] about to board."
From the Mirror.

Annahnomoss

Great signing. Having a young player like Rafael who is already absolutely world-class in his position means we can afford investing in yet another young talent. It will help us get over a future Rafael sale, or we will be able to get some money of the transfer.

I think this is a very good indication that Moyes plans to continue his use of very offensive wing-backs who provide the width in the strategy. This as Jones in particular has done the RB job outstandingly well for being a back-up. Smalling has done slightly worse but still way above the expected level for a "2nd reserve".

Shark

@NotShark
In all likelihood he'll be playing reserve football for a year or two anyway. He won't be getting in the first team any time soon, so it's hardly likely that this transfer is going to affect Jones, Smalling or Fabio's first team chances.

It all really depends on the impact he makes in perhaps the odd League Cup game or whatnot. People were saying the same thing about Hernandez when we bought him, but he ended up taking his chances spectacularly and making a big impact in his first season.

You can just never know.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Great signing. Having a young player like Rafael who is already absolutely world-class in his position means we can afford investing in yet another young talent. It will help us get over a future Rafael sale, or we will be able to get some money of the transfer.

I think this is a very good indication that Moyes plans to continue his use of very offensive wing-backs who provide the width in the strategy. This as Jones in particular has done the RB job outstandingly well for being a back-up. Smalling has done slightly worse but still way above the expected level for a "2nd reserve".
just how and why have you come to the conclusion that Rafel will be sold all of a sudden?

Annahnomoss

just how and why have you come to the conclusion that Rafel will be sold all of a sudden?

Just how and why have you come to the conclusion that I came to the conclusion that Rafael will be sold all of a sudden?

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
I actually went to see Penarol play a few weeks back in Montevideo, although Verala wasnt playing he is VERY highly rated by everyone I spoke to at the ground. Bit of a weird story but hopefully he will be a great addition!

Devil may care

I always thought Fabio's future with us lay as cover for his brother at RB as I think we'll continue playing a natural left footer at left back when Evra eventually goes. Does anyone know if Varela can play LB as well as RB?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rafael used to be injury prone and this might come back at some point so it's good to have a proper back up without needing to resort to playing Jones or, even worse, Smalling there. Jones and Smalling are at an age when they need to play as many games as possible in their natural position which happens to be centre half - not going to be easy with Evans, Vidic and Ferdinand around but they should give their best anyway. To have two young offensive right backs will be a big asset to the team.

Traub

Rafael used to be injury prone and this might come back at some point so it's good to have a proper back up without needing to resort to playing Jones or, even worse, Smalling there. Jones and Smalling are at an age when they need to play as many games as possible in their natural position which happens to be centre half - not going to be easy with Evans, Vidic and Ferdinand around but they should give their best anyway. To have two young offensive right backs will be a big asset to the team.
Exactly. We were quite fortunate web it came to injuries last season. Also, I have a feeling Rafael played a few too many games and probably could've done with a rest at some point.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Having cover for rafael is good, smalling and jones should only be used as cover for vidic and arguably evans. However, we may be missing the wider point. .. first of all rafael has been bigged up a lot over last 12 months, personally I think more than necessary, he is still error prone. Also, how long do we think he will be at utd for? Only a matter of time before likes of madrid/barca come knocking. Can't rest on our laurels

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Having cover for rafael is good, smalling and jones should only be used as cover for vidic and arguably evans. However, we may be missing the wider point. .. first of all rafael has been bigged up a lot over last 12 months, personally I think more than necessary, he is still error prone. Also, how long do we think he will be at utd for? Only a matter of time before likes of madrid/barca come knocking. Can't rest on our laurels

Rafael seems to love the club and is really at home in England. Aslong as all goes well with Moyes and the club remain successful I can't see him wanting to leave. Hope he doesn't anyway as he is a future captain IMO.

LR7

Rafael seems to love the club and is really at home in England. Aslong as all goes well with Moyes and the club remain successful I can't see him wanting to leave. Hope he doesn't anyway as he is a future captain IMO.
Yeah, I agree. I think it was Evans who said earlier in the season that he drives the team on with his infectious enthusiasm at times.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rafael used to be injury prone and this might come back at some point

I suppose there's a possibility of that, though I imagine those injuries were largely due to his headless style of play when he was young, as well as his body maturing. You're alot more prone to injury if you're also in the process of bulking and broadening your frame. He's filled out and he's probably stopped growing, and that seems to be a testament to his consistency last season. Can't see him becoming prone to it again unless he gets an injury which just keeps recurring, Hargreaves style.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, I agree. I think it was Evans who said earlier in the season that he drives the team on with his infectious enthusiasm at times.

Exactly. He has that fire burning inside him like Keane, and you can see he wants to win at all costs.

I think once he gets older he could be our Brazilian Neville.