Hannibal or Gore

Bondi77

I cannot say I have watched a lot on these two young players apart from their first team experiences and clips of Hannibal at Birmingham.
I would say that come next season that Amrabat and Donny will be gone and possibly Casemiro due to age and offers from Saudi so that will leave spots up for grabs in the midfield.
I think Kobbie is nailed down now to be a first team player and I think we will buy a DM if Casemiro leaves.
I cannot see both Hannibal and Gore staying at the club from next season and while Gore may go on loan I just wondered what the posters whom have watched the two on a regular basis think which one will still be at our club in a first team role in the future.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Tbh they're both very good but I think there are some younger midfielders that might leapfrog them fairly soon. The Fletchers, Fitzgerald, possibly even McAllister...we have a lot of talent in that position.

Bondi77

Tbh they're both very good but I think there are some younger midfielders that might leapfrog them fairly soon. The Fletchers, Fitzgerald, possibly even McAllister...we have a lot of talent in that position.
I thought only one of the Fletchers was supposed to be any good??
So are these other youngsters rated the best in their age group in the country meaning better than what they have at Chelski, Citeh etc.....

wolvored

Gore looked decent pre season, but the few times Mejbri has played there was nothing special about him. Mainoo is younger and head and shoulders better. Hope Gore is given a runout in the Prem see what he can bring.

Donut

Gore only because I've seen feck all of him and he at least could be good whereas I've seen enough of Hannibal to know he's very average indeed.
Sadly, agreed. Mejbri is a headless chicken with some athleticism and talent, but he’s not good enough for us.

RuudTom83

Use them both to fill holes in the squad.

Question marks over Casemiro and McTom’s future, Eriksen won’t be around for many more seasons. Donny should be moved on too.

Leaves only Bruno, Mainoo and Mount as real first team players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Jack Fletcher might, I don’t know if any of the others will end up as good as Gore or Hannibal. I think people are slightly sleeping on how good Gore is, I think he’ll end up the best of the bunch personally, I find him to be a sublime talent.

I think Hannibal has a lot more talent than he’s shown for the first team so far. Like Elanga, he was one of the best U21s and in recent years the very best of the U21s go on to be quite good, even if not necessarily at United. Worth mentioning that the very best talents we have generally skip the U21s entirely.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Use them both to fill holes in the squad.

Question marks over Casemiro and McTom’s future, Eriksen won’t be around for many more seasons. Donny should be moved on too.

Leaves only Bruno, Mainoo and Mount as real first team players.
Exactly, especially with Mount still MIA, this midfield almost not existing at all. One injury to Mainoo and we're back to dark ages.

Imagine releasing another pack of energetic youth, and pounding yourself with McTominay couple more seasons. Couldn't be me.

brother ant

Jack Fletcher might, I don’t know if any of the others will end up as good as Gore or Hannibal. I think people are slightly sleeping on how good Gore is, I think he’ll end up the best of the bunch personally, I find him to be a sublime talent.

I think Hannibal has a lot more talent than he’s shown for the first team so far. Like Elanga, he was one of the best U21s and in recent years the very best of the U21s go on to be quite good, even if not necessarily at United. Worth mentioning that the very best talents we have generally skip the U21s entirely.
100% agree about Gore. I have said a few times how highly I rate him and I am surprised he has not featured more. If given a chance I believe he will surprise a lot of people.

In Rainbows

Worth mentioning that the very best talents we have generally skip the U21s entirely.
That's sort of true. But the thing is, there are some where that's a half truth. Garnacho and Rashford just took their chances when played at first team level. It's not like they were seen as better talents than someone like Angel Gomes, or James Garner when comparing their youth performances at u18 level. Is it that the United coaches saw something in them that would make them first team players which allowed them to skip u21/23 football, or is it that they just impressed at first team level, which saw them then skip u21 football? I personally think it's the latter.

Sadly, agreed. Mejbri is a headless chicken with some athleticism and talent, but he’s not good enough for us.
I don't think he's a headless chicken. It appears that way sometimes when his aggression gets the best of him, but he's far more cultured on the ball than what his first team performances have shown. It doesn't help that he's being played as a winger where he's leading the press, is having to fight for the ball when it's lumped up to him, and he's making runs forward in hopes he gets the ball. That results in him seeing less of the ball, and relying on his running which gives off the impression that he's a passion merchant.

I also agree that he hasn't been good enough with the ball when he has gotten the ball rarely. I think the context for that is him being played in that winger role, and having to play more with his back to the goal, before he's gotten his confidence by being able to play with the ball more.
Jack Fletcher is a different type of player than Hannibal despite people thinking Hannibal was like Bruno or Grealish. I've always viewed him as a player that can play in midfield where as Fletcher to me is an attacker in the same way Januzaj was. I've said this before, but I view #10s as having different attributes making them more likely to play as striker, or as a winger, or staying as a #10, or as the ability to play a deeper midfield role. Hence why I believed Gomes could play deeper, Greenwood could become a striker, or Rashford could play as a winger. All were attacking midfielders, but you could see why each had their own attributes that make them more likely to play a "secondary" position.

In Hannibal's case, I feel like he can play deeper compared to Fletcher. Fletcher is a very talented #10. Same reason why Lacey is more likely to be a winger or a #10 in the future, rather than going the Mainoo route.

I don't think McAlllister is as talented as Hannibal was. This is Hannibal at age 16 for the u18s. I didn't even choose this vid because it especially makes him look good or anything. It was just the earliest times at the club after signing with United.

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

I feel Hannibal has been judged too quickly based on senior experience in two dysfunctional teams (Us and Birmingham). He's got a lot of ability to go with the hard work and tenacity, and shouldn't be sold yet for my money.

I've not watched as much of Gore, but from what I've seen he looks an excellent prospect too. We are pretty spoiled for CM talent at the moment.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Can't say I've watched much of youth or reserve team football but Gore looked really good in pre-season so hopefully he can eventually break into the first team. I also believe Hannibal will eventually come good but he's probably someone who needs to mature a little before he really becomes a constant in our midfield - sending him out on loan might help with that. Right now Hannibal always looks like he's playing more on emotion than just calming down and letting his football do the work - of course it does not help that the rest of the team in general are shit which makes it even more difficult for a young player coming through.

TwoSheds

That's sort of true. But the thing is, there are some where that's a half truth. Garnacho and Rashford just took their chances when played at first team level. It's not like they were seen as better talents than someone like Angel Gomes, or James Garner when comparing their youth performances at u18 level. Is it that the United coaches saw something in them that would make them first team players which allowed them to skip u21/23 football, or is it that they just impressed at first team level, which saw them then skip u21 football? I personally think it's the latter.

I don't think he's a headless chicken. It appears that way sometimes when his aggression gets the best of him, but he's far more cultured on the ball than what his first team performances have shown. It doesn't help that he's being played as a winger where he's leading the press, is having to fight for the ball when it's lumped up to him, and he's making runs forward in hopes he gets the ball. That results in him seeing less of the ball, and relying on his running which gives off the impression that he's a passion merchant.

I also agree that he hasn't been good enough with the ball when he has gotten the ball rarely. I think the context for that is him being played in that winger role, and having to play more with his back to the goal, before he's gotten his confidence by being able to play with the ball more.

Jack Fletcher is a different type of player than Hannibal despite people thinking Hannibal was like Bruno or Grealish. I've always viewed him as a player that can play in midfield where as Fletcher to me is an attacker in the same way Januzaj was. I've said this before, but I view #10s as having different attributes making them more likely to play as striker, or as a winger, or staying as a #10, or as the ability to play a deeper midfield role. Hence why I believed Gomes could play deeper, Greenwood could become a striker, or Rashford could play as a winger. All were attacking midfielders, but you could see why each had their own attributes that make them more likely to play a "secondary" position.

In Hannibal's case, I feel like he can play deeper compared to Fletcher. Fletcher is a very talented #10. Same reason why Lacey is more likely to be a winger or a #10 in the future, rather than going the Mainoo route.

I don't think McAlllister is as talented as Hannibal was. This is Hannibal at age 16 for the u18s. I didn't even choose this vid because it especially makes him look good or anything. It was just the earliest times at the club after signing with United.
Oh I don't disagree that Hannibal is really talented, it's just that there are other things that go into making a first team player at Man United than talent. I mentioned McAllister because he looks like a leader to me, not because I think he's more talented than Hannibal and Gore.

One thing I like about Hannibal though - he's got a really imposing frame, and as he hits his mid 20s I wouldn't be surprised if he became a physical beast. Fletcher's build pre illness is how I imagine a good comparison to be. Although technique and composure are more important than size and strength, it's still an advantage for him potentially to my mind. Gore I don't see that for example, he will just be a tidy, technical midfielder with a physical build a bit like Scholes.

Borninthe80ts

Their both different types of midfielders and are at different although similar stages of development but i prefer Gore’s style of play currently.

The role that Hannibal currently plays within the team and some of the loans that he has had have maybe coloured the perceptions of his qualities but as has been mentioned he has more to his game than running and closing the opposition down. I think ideally he would be a box to box player in the future where as Gore may dictate play a bit more.

We do have a few talents in midfield coming through and there could be a back log but I’m excited for the future. A lot of the lads have slightly different games but play a similar style so integration should be easier if they progress. I do think we will see 4 to 5 of them including Mainoo in the squad within 3 years.

Varun1

Both should be included in the succession planning, as should have been the case with Garner. Amrabat, Eriksen, Mct and Casemiro should be out of the door before letting go of Hannibal.

But it's to be expected from EtH.

flameinthesun

On your last point I agree the very best do skip the U21 sometimes but more often than not the best talents completely stand out at u21 level. the likes of Greenwood, Da Silva twins, Amad all looked like they were playing against kids in the reserves. The likes of Januzaj, Pereira also looked a level above although not to the extent of those above. Hannibal has looked good at times in the U21s especially when he played with Amad in those couple games but he didn't really stand out like those above. What gave me hope was his initial performances for Birmingham but that petered out a bit as the season went on whereas Amad for example was one of the best players in the league. Hannibal unfortunately doesn't have any stand out features. For example Pereira was more talented than him, he doesn't have the dribbling of a Januzaj or Amad, doesnt have the positional awareness/technique of a Mainoo. He's a good young player but not quite United level.

Ekeke

I expect Gore will go out on loan rather than going into the team like Mainoo. So it'll be years before he'll be in a similar situation to Hannibal or compete for a place with him

Bertie Wooster

I think they're both quite similar CM's / AM's. Both have fiery temperaments and prepared to put themselves about. Both also have quite good technique and can drive forward with the ball and link up in attacks - although neither particularly out and out playmakers or prolific goalscoring midfielders. But both capable of developing into good box to box #8's, who offer stuff both on and off the ball.

Having watched Hannibal in the youth system, I know that he's much better on the ball than he's been able to show in his brief cameos, often out of position.

I think, had we been in more comfortable positions more often over the last couple of seasons, then Hannibal would / should have got more chances to help polish the raw talent that he has. However, as we've always made hard work of games, and mostly been in 'must win' type scenarios, then we've not been in positions for the manager to risk a youngster who he seems to have doubts about his temperament. That's been a real waste of a whole lot of potential so far.

Gore I've always felt very similar about, though I've always rated Hannibal a little higher. It would be nice if at least one of them got a genuine chance to feature regularly, in their position, and with the opportunity to display their ability on the ball rather than just offer the commited, energetic side of their game that they both possess.

Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen now for Hannibal under ETH. And I think we'll see Gore out on loan next season.

Borussia Teeth

They're both good players from what I've seen in their limited minutes in the first team. I would like to see them sharing McTominay's minutes but that won't happen under EtH.

MrBest

Out of the two I think Hannibal has more potential but its also really tough to compare because both are very different styles. Gore in my view is very tidy, strong but technical at his feet. Can dribble well, great centre of gravity. I worry a bit about his physical attributes and that causes him to be over aggressive on the pitch. Saying that, I've not seen as much of him as I have of Hannibal.

Hannibal I've followed for a while, youth to Birmingham and the few games this season. I think he's been unlucky as someone above mentioned, that he has played in two dysfunctional teams. I love his aggression, he needs to learn to tame it and use it in the right way. That comes with age and maturity, also games. Against Burnely I though Hannibal was one of our best players. Always available, kept the ball moving and quick. He also had good minutes against Palace in the league cup and scored against Brighton. His fearless nature is what we lack, if he was 5 years older he would playing besides Mainoo. Since Oct time, Hag has not really given him the minutes and in a time that's always chasing there tail, what else do people expect of him? He's also been played as a AMC or winger, I'd say he's neither. He's a box to box player, likes to get in the box but track back enough as he always wants his team to have the ball. A loan move is good for him now and he can hopefully try to convert what I think is genuine talent into consistency.

I think Gore too would benefit with a loan to the Championship. Regular minutes in a combative league would tell us if he can use his technical nature in games. The cameo against (I think) Chelsea, I thought he came on and looked solid, he has potential. I've nor seen much other Fletcher and the others mentioned, but from what I read and hear, it looks like we have a number of exciting midfielders developing. If out of the bunch 1 or 2 come good in addition to Mainoo, it would first save us 30m plus but also be amazing to have a youth back in the set up to replace the dross we have in that position.

Only time will tell.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
On your last point I agree the very best do skip the U21 sometimes but more often than not the best talents completely stand out at u21 level. the likes of Greenwood, Da Silva twins, Amad all looked like they were playing against kids in the reserves. The likes of Januzaj, Pereira also looked a level above although not to the extent of those above. Hannibal has looked good at times in the U21s especially when he played with Amad in those couple games but he didn't really stand out like those above. What gave me hope was his initial performances for Birmingham but that petered out a bit as the season went on whereas Amad for example was one of the best players in the league. Hannibal unfortunately doesn't have any stand out features. For example Pereira was more talented than him, he doesn't have the dribbling of a Januzaj or Amad, doesnt have the positional awareness/technique of a Mainoo. He's a good young player but not quite United level.
I mostly agree with you, but Greenwood essentially skipped U21 football and for my money, Hannibal was easily as good as Amad was for the U21s, in the limited game time they spent together it was one of our best U21 attacks, Hannibal was exquisite, as was Amad and also Shoretire. But I do get your overall point. Personally, I think Mainoo is probably the best we’ve produced since Greenwood but it’s hard to compare players in different positions and I’ve already admitted I think Gore will end up the best of the bunch, there’s just something about him that screams elegance.

foolsgold

I'd like to see Gore go to the Championship and play 40 games. Hannibal I'd like to stay and take the minutes that presently being give to McT and Amrabat, neither of whom should be at the club next season. As others have said, Hannibal can be an imposing figure, longer term I see him in a similar role to Nemanja Matic

Mwooyo

Sadly Gore is one of those half space technical players that need a ton of games to really establish themselves and be valued by fans. Sometimes they even a full season. He is basically mason mount junior...he may make it...but the manager needs to really value him and play him. We had similar players like Dylan levitt and Ethan Galbraith that we got rid of in ETH time here

I also think we have so many midfield options that he wont get a chance. I actually think we can and should get rid of both mctominay and amrabat and sign only one replacement for both.

Gore just doesn't have the talent level that is above mount, mainoo, eriksen, casemiro, bruno that ETH will give him the games to establish himself there for us. Actually Hannibal had a much higher talent level in comparison to Gore. I still insist that we have never seen the real Hannibal playing for us...he became this workhorse kante like midfielder but that is not what he was about. Gore's best option is a loan but dont be surprised if ETH sells him to utretch or dundee or some other weird team out there because he has sold more talented players in the past few seasons

Last edited:

sparx99

I’ve been really surprised by the way a lot of fans are happy to see Hannibal moved on. He put in some very solid early season performances if not spectacular (Brighton goal aside).

Given our lack of midfield options I’m surprised he’s been used so sparingly. His work ethic is superior to McTominay and he used the ball sensibly compared to some of the wastefulness we’ve seen.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Personally I think Hannibal has way more talent than elanga. Much higher ceiling

TwoSheds

Sadly Gore is one of those half space technical players that need a ton of games to really establish themselves and be valued by fans. Sometimes they even a full season. He is basically mason mount junior...he may make it...but the manager needs to really value him and play him. We had similar players like Dylan levitt and Ethan Galbraith that we got rid of in ETH time here

I also think we have so many midfield options that he wont get a chance. I actually think we can and should get rid of both mctominay and amrabat and sign only one replacement for both.

Gore just doesn't have the talent level that is above mount, mainoo, eriksen, casemiro, bruno that ETH will give him the games to establish himself there for us. Actually Hannibal had a much higher talent level in comparison to Gore. I still insist that we have never seen the real Hannibal playing for us...he became this workhorse kante like midfielder but that is not what he was about. Gore's best option is a loan but dont be surprised if ETH sells him to utretch or dundee or some other weird team out there because he has sold more talented players in the past few seasons
Nah, if you're genuinely trying to suggest any of Levitt, Galbraith or Iqbal are more talented than Gore then you don't have eyes or you've lost your mind. Garner is the only CM we've sold recently who is Premier League level and even he isn't top class. Gore will be a Premier League CM in time, I'm sure of that.

Marwood

Whichever is better I hope we learn from Hannibal how Gore should be developed.

I don’t have much hope because it keeps happening but no more of young lads just hanging around for extended periods barely playing football. Get them on a pitch somewhere.

90 + 5min

I cannot say I have watched a lot on these two young players apart from their first team experiences and clips of Hannibal at Birmingham.
I would say that come next season that Amrabat and Donny will be gone and possibly Casemiro due to age and offers from Saudi so that will leave spots up for grabs in the midfield.
I think Kobbie is nailed down now to be a first team player and I think we will buy a DM if Casemiro leaves.
I cannot see both Hannibal and Gore staying at the club from next season and while Gore may go on loan I just wondered what the posters whom have watched the two on a regular basis think which one will still be at our club in a first team role in the future.
Hannibal is overrated. Got some energy but he is no player for big teams. Or even teams below that. Should be sold. Gore is harder to analyze because he is still to shy on football pitch. He got better football IQ and there is something in there in my opinion but I don't expect him to stay at the club.

alexthelion

Both should be included in the succession planning, as should have been the case with Garner. Amrabat, Eriksen, Mct and Casemiro should be out of the door before letting go of Hannibal.

But it's to be expected from EtH.
:D:D:D