Hansi Flick (sack) watch

arthurka

It's just black and white with lot of folk.

Think they be mad to sack flick. The attacking was their to see this world cup, should have killed of that Japan game. Lacking a striker defo,

But home tournament coming up in 2 years could build nicely into that and I'd expect them to go far and be one of the teams to beat on home turf.
They started to late in the search for a number nine, neither Havertz nor Werner are number nines. They are really struggling there. Get a new keeper in, build a new defensive unit and start playing their best number nine. They should be good to good, there are some brilliant players there.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
You can, you have all the time in the world to analyze it now that you are out. I am sure England, Croatia, Japan, etc. wouldn't change their results for your performances.
You are assuming he is german, he isn't... neither i am.
And i think Flick did what he wanted to do, he just didn't count on his strikers missing chances against Japan.

Cup football always been like that, one mistake and you are out, it happens to everybody.

3 games aren't the biggest sample

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm not German and never supported them, I'm 100% neutral in this.

It seems like you still don't understand my point. A lot of what you've just said is true but I'm saying that it matters much less because of the small sample size. That's what you don't seem to consider at all when making your point.
My bad for thinking you are German, I am sorry(it's not neccesarily a bad thing either :lol: I just don't like their football views here as I said).

I wasn't arguing against Flick in that initial post btw, I just laughed at the poster for using xG as definite and only argument in football discussion.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Let's look at the whole year then. 12 games played. 4 wins (Israel, Oman, CR) 2 losses, 6 draws. 2 (!) clean sheets against Israel and CR. That's not good enough, especially since 2018 happened. Flick and his gung-ho style has worked at times at Bayern, only his first season, and at his NT start but it doesn't yield the results it should and if you know about the inefficiency of your attacking players (hardly a real striker was played) and the dubious quality of your defenders the manager should be looked at very closely.

Boavista

You are assuming he is german, he isn't... neither i am.
And i think Flick did what he wanted to do, he just didn't count on his strikers missing chances against Japan.

Cup football always been like that, one mistake and you are out, it happens to everybody.

Exactly. I think Flick made some mistakes, but there were also promising signs. Ultimately they messed up, however they looked like one of the most creative sides even if they didn't take their chances.

Also he's only been in charge for a year, and this world cup had barely any time to prepare.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Let's look at the whole year then. 12 games played. 4 wins (Israel, Oman, CR) 2 losses, 6 draws. 2 (!) clean sheets against Israel and CR. That's not good enough, especially since 2018 happened. Flick and his gung-ho style has worked at times at Bayern, only his first season, and at his NT start but it doesn't yield the results it should and if you know about the inefficiency of your attacking players (hardly a real striker was played) and the dubious quality of your defenders the manager should be looked at very closely.
Good post, well done.

But what about their xG in those 6 draws though?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Exactly. I think Flick made some mistakes, but there were also promising signs. Ultimately they messed up, however they looked like one of the most creative sides even if they didn't take their chances.

Also he's only been in charge for a year, and this world cup had barely any time to prepare.
Indeed, i think Flick executed his plan but didn't count on his strikers missing chances and Neuer having a bad game...both occurrences against Japan.

I think the Euro 2024 will give us a better idea, if he does badly there then we are talking about a pattern of failure, not a mistake...

Germany need badly a top striker, they are missing someone like Klose, Klinsmann, and Voller....Musiala can do anything except scoring.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Good post, well done.

But what about their xG in those 6 draws though?
When you play gung-ho style one would expect a rather high one. But if that style results in lots of losses and draws because you almost always concede and you're strikers aren't good enough to score then he should have changed tactics long ago. Or at least keep Gündogan some more minutes on the pitch because he can structure and balance it at least a wee bit whereas Kimmich and Goretzka can't or don't want to and mostly run forward. It's been complete suicide and to add insult to injury Flick was ultimately too shy to start a proper #9 against CR and really go for an 8:0 - something which his style at times actually could produce if all stars align.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking at xG is a useful tool to determine when patience is required before making a hasty decision, or to see through what is ultimately a lucky run (Ole's first half season that got him the job for example).
Exactly, it really annoys me when people respond (as we're seeing multiple times here) like people are trying to rewrite the results by referencing XG, it couldn't be more untrue.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Looking at xG is a useful tool to determine when patience is required before making a hasty decision, or to see through what is ultimately a lucky run (Ole's first half season that got him the job for example).
It is not generally considered good practice to look at the xG for a single game and try to derive conclusions from it. Half a season's games are an entirely different scenario.

It is not that xG is bad or useless. It is that people tend to overstate its utility.

You could have watched the game and concluded that Germany played better.

Ok, you couldn't watch the game.

Then you could have just looked at objective stats such as possession (74% to 26%) and shots (26 to 13). From that you could have concluded that Germany played better.

What does xG bring to the table other than an added sense that "Germany should have won"?

Last edited:

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

He wants decide his boss....funny guy.

He should resign like he always does after a short time....Hoffenheim, DFB (Director of Football), Bayern Munich and now as coach at the DFB.

Germany will win nothing him at the next tournament....because his team is far away to have a Lewandowski and he can't fix the defence (Bayern Munich

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It'd be a shame for Tuchel if he took the Germany job. He's a top coach - I'm sure a top European club would rather take him on.
Agreed. It would be a waste of talent. Then again, it would only be for a couple of years anyway, Tuchel never stays longer..

Charles Miller

Its much better going to the world cup with a coach that already had that experience than starting from zero every four years. Spain should do the same.

KeanoMagicHat

Germany weren’t that bad in the World Cup, deserves another go. He’s a good manager. 10 minutes of sleeping against Japan cost them. Sometimes you need to look beyond a one-off result.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is not generally considered good practice to look at the xG for a single game and try to derive conclusions from it. Half a season's games are an entirely different scenario.

It is not that xG is bad or useless. It is that people tend to overstate its utility.

You could have watched the game and concluded that Germany played better.

Ok, you couldn't watch the game.

Then you could have just looked at objective stats such as possession (74% to 26%) and shots (26 to 13). From that you could have concluded that Germany played better.

What does xG bring to the table other than an added sense that "Germany should have won"?
Added measure of the quality of shots taken by Germany?

Statistically speaking, a stat that is valid in aggregate cannot be invalid in a single game. That makes no sense mathematically. Even if xG has more noise in a single game, it is still useful.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
With the squad he has. Got to be doing better than this.

Idxomer

More talented than the England team and Austrian team but there picking up wins…
No way, England leaves players at home more talented than some of the starters in this German team.

edcunited1878

They can't be this bad.
They probably aren't, but they are still average, which is bad for them.

They seem to be in a rut, just like Netherlands. Some nice players with the occasional moment of brilliance, but not enough pieces to bring together in a sustainable manner.

Havertz isn't a CF. Sane is inconsistent, as is Gnabry...they also don't scream top top talent. They played Emre Can today...far from the likes of what we're used to seeing in central midfield. And the back line is totally different without Kimmich.

Pintu

This is a poor German squad, worst they've had in years.

A manager/coach is only as good as their players and Germany have average to nice players, but nothing like they used to.
If you compare this Germany side to the Bayern he led to a historical treble... That Bayern had many experienced players with strong characters. Neueur, Alaba, Boateng, Müller, Lewandowski, Perisic...

Kimmich apart, the best players of this Germany side are too young. I'd want to give it time before judging his job.

edcunited1878

If you compare this Germany side to the Bayern he led to a historical treble... That Bayern had many experienced players with strong characters. Neueur, Alaba, Boateng, Müller, Lewandowski, Perisic...

Kimmich apart, the best players of this Germany side are too young. I'd want to give it time before judging his job.
I agree with you that they are young and there's no bridge of players to keep them semi-competitive until the younger players can step up and truly represent the national team.

I don't think he'll get the time, unfortunately. He's a good manager and good intentions, but it seems to be too much too soon for the German players at his disposal.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We have a decent squad at our disposal, this cant be an argument. You could almost field a starting eleven consisting full of Champions League winners and not winners 10 years ago but in the not so distant past: Neuer- Right Back, Rüdiger, Centre Back, Left Back - Gündogan, Kimmich, Goretzka - Gnabry, Havertz, Musiala. I dont think our squad is as good as Frances or Englands but definitely good enough to beat Ukraine, Poland and Columbia. We couldnt even beat one of those teams, 2 losses and a late draw against Ukraine, otherwise that game wouldve been lost as well. Flick is horrible and shouldve been sacked after the World Cup already, now its getting clearer and clearer that he is absolutely clueless.

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

I'm always surprised to read that Germany have so much quality.....yes in the past but not in the last 5 years!!!

WC 2018: Group stage
Euros 2021: Last 16 round (They were poor in the group stage too)
WC 2022: Group stage
Nations League: They were terrible in all three editions (3 wins in 16 matches).

Last 16 matches (All matches)
Wins: 4 (Italy, Oman, Costa Rica & Peru)
Draws: 7
Defeats: 5
Goals conceded: 23 (2 clean-sheets)

Last 26 matches in competitions (No friendlies)
Wins: 6
Draws: 10
Defeats: 10

- They have no top striker.
- They have no top full-backs or wing-backs (All of them are just average).
- They have one good centre-back with Rüdiger.....Süle, Schlotterbeck, Ginter or Kehrer are okay but nothing special....Thiaw could be a option for the future.
- And they have a problem in goal because Ter Stegen is surely totally pissed off again that Neuer comes back in September and will play (That has happened for the World Cup 2018 as Neuer was injured for many months).
- There are a lot of quality options in midfield but they don't have a system to show their quality.

Flick played the back-three formation in the last matches and Can has said after todays match "This system makes no sense for this team".....this shows the players don't believe in "Flick's process".

Flick is totally overrated and the DFB can't fire him (They have no money for that and to bring in a replacement) therefore another group stage exit is currently likely (even as host nation).
Flick's second season with Bayern Munich was already "Not really good".

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Starting to believe that our 'sextuple' season with Hansi was the most epic new manager bounce in the history of football.