Happy 15th birthday to the album of the century...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This is a major issue. The mainstream stuff is primarily garbage but there's a lot of good bands and artists out there worth looking for, to find another Radiohead though, who are of supreme creative musical levels, there's not many like that.
It's always been this way. Pop music is marketed towards 12 year old girls, and the charts reflect that. Boy bands and other shit like that have always been around, are here now and there will be more to come. They're manufactured by someone in a suit in London. Which makes me laugh when you see someone on YouTube so incensed that a Justin Bieber song sold X amount and his beloved band didn't, and thinks all pop musicians should die. If Bieber died tomorrow, they would make another to take his place. Why waste your time getting annoyed, when it's not for you in the first place. I expect people said the same about The Monkees too, but it's just the way it is.

The best music you've always had to dig out. It won't change anytime soon either.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The idea that there can be a "best of" in something as subjective as music is absurd to me. And I like Radiohead.

There's no "best" in these kind of discussions, only "my favourite."

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea that there can be a "best of" in something as subjective as music is absurd to me. And I like Radiohead.

There's no "best" in these kind of discussions, only "my favourite."
True to an extent. However, critical acclaim has to be taken into consideration too. It could be someone's personal opinion that Limp Bizkit made better music that The Beatles but that is still objectively a stupid opinion.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
True to an extent. However, critical acclaim has to be taken into consideration too. It could be someone's personal opinion that Limp Bizkit made better music that The Beatles but that is still objectively a stupid opinion.
But the point is, there's no objectiveness here, can't be. If Limp Bizkit sounds better to a person, how can their opinion be stupid, don't they know what they like the best?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But the point is, there's no objectiveness here, can't be. If Limp Bizkit sounds better to a person, how can their opinion be stupid, don't they know what they like the best?
They know what they like the best but that doesn't mean they're good judges of quality. There can be a consensus critical opinion on art that is (generally) more accurate than the personal opinion of any one individual person.

For example, I don't like Jazz music so I'd prefer nearly all Rock over all Jazz. That doesn't mean I think that every mediocre rock album I've listened to is automatically better than the greatest Jazz albums of all time though.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
On the contrary, they could be excellent judges of quality if they happen to recommend stuff to a bunch of nu metal fans. There are probably way more The Beatles fans than of Limp Bizkit, and if we play a weird game where fans of those two recommend similar stuff to a mass of other music fans, The Beatles one will surely have more success, be more accurate if you will. But that still doesn't make their music better.

For example, I don't like Jazz music so I'd prefer nearly all Rock over all Jazz. That doesn't mean I think that every mediocre rock album I've listened to is automatically better than the greatest Jazz albums of all time though.
Well, not automatically, but after a listen of both of course. If you liked that mediocre rock album more, what's the problem with you saying it's better than that great jazz album?

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I'd have agreed with this until Seldom Seen Kid came out.

Cornell

Merriweather Post Pavilion is my choice for album of the century so far. Closely followed by Geogaddi, Person Pitch and Kid A.

A lot of opinions masquerading as facts in this thread.

Dan

Merriweather Post Pavilion is my choice for album of the century so far. Closely followed by Geogaddi, Person Pitch and Kid A.

Geogaddi is amazing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The best album so far this century is probably The Strokes - Is This It.
An absolutely superb album. Holds up so well over time.

Don't get the love for In Rainbows in this thread. Not an album that I keep coming back to at all. OK computer is great, though. So original and interesting at the time. Kid A tried to be too interesting and forgot to include some decent tunes.

Muse, though. Pish. Like, absolute pish. Cheesy, derivative and overwrought nonsense. Don't deserve to share a thread with genuinely talented bands.

arthurka

I never thought I would say this but Radiohead fans are just a bit worse than Pink Floyd fans... That album never ever was near to being the best.. Not even Radiohead's best album..

Jam

I seen Panda Bear live in Barcelona and it was honestly one of the best live performances I've ever seen; it was in a massive cinema type forum with insanely comfy chairs. The room was pitch black and it was just him on stage with the massive cinema backdrop and the imagery. When the house lights came on it genuinely felt like a massive come down - I can't even imagine what the gig would have been like for someone actually on acid mind:lol: The whole thing was mesmerizing and blew me away. Would love to see Animal Collective sometime soon.