Harry Gregg OBE.

Denis' cuff

As soon as the old fella told me the tale, probably 2/3 years after the crash, I was sold. The Stretford End had about three songs for him

Loved the mad bastard. First ever United hero and still have the plastic badge to prove it.
I think it was the day after jfk was assassinated, we played the dirty feckers at OT and Harry got clattered by Ron Yeats.** Dislocated shoulder. No subs then. Arm in a sling on the bench watching ten men. Suddenly took off down the right wing shouting for the ball and played the game out, there. No permission required to re-enter the pitch back then. Imagine if Kevin Moran or Steve Bruce was a keeper... that was Harry x 10.

** hated the feckers since 63.

I've edited my comment,chaps.:)
But its abit of a joke nonetheless,more so as its taken Gregg to finally get recognition for his bravery in 58.

The Mad Manc

He did get an MBE in 1995 I've just read. Also just read these comments from the man himself:

"I know the media would like to talk about what happened on a runway. I don't blame people for that, but if all I was ever part of or all I ever achieved was to do with what happened in Germany, in Munich, if that was what my life was all about, it didn't come to very much".

I get his sentiment but this humility is too much. Showing the bravery he did is not something many people have in them. He should be immensely proud of what he did, as I'm sure his loved ones are.

Man Utd player + a hero to boot. The man is a legend.

Maticmaker

Not seen this posted anywhere so...
Awarded an OBE in the new years honours list. Hero of the Munich air disaster, climbed out of the wreckage and kept returning to help others.
About bloody time.
I'll say its about time. It was a disgrace that his actions after the crash, saving the lives of others, putting himself at risk time and time again, wasn't recognised.

It would be interesting to note why they cited him for this award, if it was for his bravery and compassion at Munich, then its a bit late?

Green_Red

Not seen this posted anywhere so...
Awarded an OBE in the new years honours list. Hero of the Munich air disaster, climbed out of the wreckage and kept returning to help others.
About bloody time.
And I was surprised his name wasn't in the player that embodies the spirit of Manchester United thread. He is it. Well deserved!

beedoubleyou

If Gregg did what he did then today, he'd be honoured within 24 months. Culture has just changed.

Good for him, well deserved.

Mal donaghy

its only bout just shy of 60 years too late. what I want to know is when is denis laws knighthood going to happen, soon I hope!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'll say its about time. It was a disgrace that his actions after the crash, saving the lives of others, putting himself at risk time and time again, wasn't recognised.

It would be interesting to note why they cited him for this award, if it was for his bravery and compassion at Munich, then its a bit late?
Harry being Harry he would almost certainly have turned down an award for bravery, but he'd already received an MBE for what he achieved as a player for Manchester United and Northern Ireland, and the OBE will have been awarded for what he has done for his local community.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
As soon as the old fella told me the tale, probably 2/3 years after the crash, I was sold. The Stretford End had about three songs for him

Loved the mad bastard. First ever United hero and still have the plastic badge to prove it.
I think it was the day after jfk was assassinated, we played the dirty feckers at OT and Harry got clattered by Ron Yeats.** Dislocated shoulder. No subs then. Arm in a sling on the bench watching ten men. Suddenly took off down the right wing shouting for the ball and played the game out, there. No permission required to re-enter the pitch back then. Imagine if Kevin Moran or Steve Bruce was a keeper... that was Harry x 10.

** hated the feckers since 63.
Never heard about that before, but completely believe it without a hint of doubt :lol:

Leaving aside Munich, I just love listening to his interviews when he speaks about football in general - such an engaging and level-headed personality; it is a tremendous credit to the club that we are associated with him. I’m delighted for him and his family that he’s being recognised with this honour.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Fantastic news! Well deserved and long overdue.

Denis' cuff

Never heard about that before, but completely believe it without a hint of doubt :lol:

Leaving aside Munich, I just love listening to his interviews when he speaks about football in general - such an engaging and level-headed personality; it is a tremendous credit to the club that we are associated with him. I’m delighted for him and his family that he’s being recognised with this honour.

Yep. Never forget it even though I was a little kid. Remember the old fella laughing as he came on “typical Harry”. David Herd went in nets.

Harry was also voted keeper of the Tournament for the 58 WC

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
About bloody time too.

He's such a nice chap and i met him some years ago and told him i had the first 2 programs of just after the crash, and he wanted to see them - he was so thrilled to view them!

The first program has an empty United team as we didn't even know what line-up we were going to play - it's the only United program ever with no team printed.

Alejandro Angel

As a person from Portstewart, where Harry has lived for a considerable amount of time. He is from Coleraine which is a close town. I Think this is way overdue Harry has been a great servant to Utd and to very many charities along with being an integral reason the Milk cup in Northern Ireland brought so many great Utd teams to the area. Also his book Harry's game is a great read.

Reactions: Niall