Has Phil Jones played his last game?

Rednotdead

Do you mind if i ask why?

Except for his first season and a couple of good games in midfield in his second season I genuinely can not think of a sustained period where he has played well consistently match after match for at least a month or two. If anyone can remind me of a sustained period where he looked a great player after those two seasons then please remind me.

All I remember of Jones apart from those first two seasons are him taking corners in LVGs reign (???????) a decent performance at Anfield- albeit one in which he could have been sent off with a second yellow by a harsher ref- and that hilarious clearance in the Arsenal game. I know he's had some good games here and there but there's been no consistency at all.
He's his dad?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Except for his first season and a couple of good games in midfield in his second season I genuinely can not think of a sustained period where he has played well consistently match after match for at least a month or two. If anyone can remind me of a sustained period where he looked a great player after those two seasons then please remind me.
He was actually fairly good for the first half or so of last season. Personally, I tend to think people over-rate how good he was in his early days, and over-exaggerate how poor he is now. I reckon last season was his best or second best ever season with us (along with his first). Was he amazing? Hell no. But for most of it he was fairly solid, which automatically makes it better than most of his other seasons.

Georgan

No progress in what? 6 years? Sell him and watch him become a decent defender at a mid table club with no injuries in 1-2 seasons in a row ala Jonny Evans. I seriously have no idea why a team as rich and prestigious as Manchester United sticks for so long with this mediocre players.

Sell them for cheap if they're on high wages but for real, get rid of whoever isn't up to the level, someone in the world more hungrier will come in and take their place.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He never goes missing, always gives 100%. He’s no Rio Ferdinand, but he’s currently the best we have.
I really hate this, giving 100% is not something to be admired, it's the bare minimum that should be expected.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How has he not been put down yet?

joedirt87

He will play again. When he comes back from injury is right around the time Smalling will pick up an injury. Then of course Bailly will pick up an injury. At some point I expect Phil to be playing with either Lindelof/Rojo.

We need an rvn

@elmo @Sparky_Hughes I don't quite buy the whole 100% argument. We've all had days when we can't give 100% or play our best. Be it at the office or on a 5aside pitch. You go 4 goals down and your head drops, it's natural sadly and only a few keep going and can rally a team. You can argue they're on x million but remember they're playing against elite players too.

Be it because mentally they're not a Roy Keane or because we haven't got a Roy Keane who would bring it out of you to tackle that bit harder or chase the lost cause.

My argument is the team is lacking a leader and thus it's so hard to give 100% of what we would expect us to see them do. I do not doubt they're not running as hard as they can or pass what the ball they think they can, but more the 100% you're both talking about is more like the 110% we expect of United we're sadly missing right now

68Guns

His level is Blackburn, full stop. Since he came to United he has been a liability and for such a big lad he gets far too many injuries. I'd sell him in a heartbeat!

the chameleon

3 of them played for Fergie he bought them
Yes. Thanks for clarifying Einstein. But they have also played in the post-Fergie and have been part of two failed regimes (Moyes and Van Gaal). Managers are to blame but players should also get some flack, if they’ve been given multiple lifelines.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Jones is one of those players who, in a decent settled team, would look like a World beater. He's had a poor injury record, probably due to his 'all action' style and as I've said previously, he is no Rio Ferdinand, but he's better than every other centre back we have. Recent buys such as Bailly, Rojo, and Lindelof have all disappointed, none are better than Jones, so until we sign the next Beckenbaur, lets hope he recovers soon.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Jones is one of those players who, in a decent settled team, would look like a World beater. He's had a poor injury record, probably due to his 'all action' style and as I've said previously, he is no Rio Ferdinand, but he's better than every other centre back we have. Recent buys such as Bailly, Rojo, and Lindelof have all disappointed, none are better than Jones, so until we sign the next Beckenbaur, lets hope he recovers soon.
He's definitely not all action enough to justify constant longish injuries. I could throw myself around like he does and not get injured. He's just goosed

stevoc

No one would buy him. I think his contract is up end of the season so can just feck off
Wouldn't surprise me if the club have an optional year on his deal that they will likely activate.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

All I remember of Jones apart from those first two seasons are him taking corners in LVGs reign (???????) a decent performance at Anfield- albeit one in which he could have been sent off with a second yellow by a harsher ref- and that hilarious clearance in the Arsenal game. I know he's had some good games here and there but there's been no consistency at all.
I think on the few occasions he has had a run in the team, he has actually been - generally - good for us. Frustrating for him that he has not been able to keep fit, but not his fault as not an attitude thing at all, and he has also been a bit unfortunate with some very amplified mistakes. He also seems like a decent bloke to me and a trier.

I certainly believe that with some better luck with injuries he could be a nailed on starter for us and England. I also think he is actually the 'best' and most complete of our centre backs. I have said elsewhere that I think our best partnership is Smalling and Bailly but that is partly about balance and mostly about a desire to keep a pair together consistently which unfortunately we can't seem to get with Jones. The best actual pairing we have seen in recent years was actually Jones and Rojo, which was surprising to me but they were genuinely very good together for us. We and Jones have been unlucky with injuries.

So called fans who call our players like Jones 'clowns' can do one as far as I am concerned.

wm28600

He's a decent player. Really not good enough for us, at least not the first team. But our defence has become so full of similar mediocrity that he's on a similar level, and therefore he will play again, and he'll stay with us.

In the modern era, we do need players like him in the squad. The UK contingent has to be what, 8 players and he's good enough to be in the 25. So of course he'll play again and he'll stay for a long time too I no doubt. It's really not his fault he plays more than he should though, if we can't build a fantastic first 11, with a long term set defence like Rio and Vidic, then that's a management failure (not Mourinho specifically, I mean the bigger picture). Jones tries his best, but isn't top quality, but that's true of every one of our defenders, so...

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Seij

I don't think so.

Our back 4 in 2020 will still be Valencia/Jones/Smalling/Young.

Axis317

I think Jones does a good job also. No one will argue that he does get injured a lot. I thought he did well the first few months of last season, until he was injured.

Ekeke

Doesnt need saying but, I mean this thread exists so... No. It wont be his last game for United. It wont be his last game starting this season. It wont be his last game starting before the end of September.

The alternatives are doing no better and Jones was good overall last season. He'll continue to be a CB we fall back on and will do well - not well enough for us not to want a new CB, but well enough for us to have a good record over a long period.

SpyLuke10

Hes atrocious. Slow as a snail and clumsy af always looks like hes gonna give away a penalty or score an own goal or something like that. Plus he's shit in the air. He's cost us games because he couldn't defend players at corners. Choup-Moting, Kane, etc, its happened several times.

And then on top of being shit he is injured a lot. Him and Darmian are the two deadwood players of the squad imo. They are the only two players in the squad who I would classify as dead wood.

Footyislife

Decent backup still even with his injury problems. Should use him more as a DM like Fergie did. Struggles with his positioning/aerial play slightly, so the DM position would help mitigate those

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Phil Jones is not the problem. Anyone can make a mistake, and if you get punished then it's touch but he's not the problem at United. I'm not a fan of 3 at the back for starters. It was poor defending. He was the wrong side of Kane but it's not worse then Smalling trying to play offside not realizing there's a united player 3 or so yards behind him - which led to the second goal. Jones has certain qualities that are good. He can do a role in midfield - yes midfield. Sir Alex agrees with me and maybe we need to look at the qualities more of players rather then box them in. I remember games where Sir Alex put Rafael/Fabio in midfield...or Phil Neville having a stormer against Vieira in midfield. Jose tried it with Herrera in the back but Jones will have many better games then not so let's not jump to conclusions that he won't play anymore.

Irwin99

He was actually fairly good for the first half or so of last season. Personally, I tend to think people over-rate how good he was in his early days, and over-exaggerate how poor he is now. I reckon last season was his best or second best ever season with us (along with his first). Was he amazing? Hell no. But for most of it he was fairly solid, which automatically makes it better than most of his other seasons.
You might be right but I personally can't honestly remember a period of him being a settled first team player and playing REALLY well, to the point where you'd say he's definitely a top centre back or at least our first choice. Smalling had a decent season last year and had a pretty decent period with Blind in LVG's second season. That's probably the closest I've seen to a settled cb partnership in the post Fergie years. I know we've had a good defensive record down the years but that's more because of our style and De Gea.

Mylock

Jones is not good enough to be at united, neither are any of the other center halves. They are technically poor defenders, either in the wrong position or tackle with the foot which leads to be constantly caught out. We're going nowhere until this changes. Jones hasn't improved in the last 5 years, he honest but not up to it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
@elmo @Sparky_Hughes I don't quite buy the whole 100% argument. We've all had days when we can't give 100% or play our best. Be it at the office or on a 5aside pitch. You go 4 goals down and your head drops, it's natural sadly and only a few keep going and can rally a team. You can argue they're on x million but remember they're playing against elite players too.

Be it because mentally they're not a Roy Keane or because we haven't got a Roy Keane who would bring it out of you to tackle that bit harder or chase the lost cause.

My argument is the team is lacking a leader and thus it's so hard to give 100% of what we would expect us to see them do. I do not doubt they're not running as hard as they can or pass what the ball they think they can, but more the 100% you're both talking about is more like the 110% we expect of United we're sadly missing right now
Yep, we do all have days like that, but it should be an exception not the rule. Too many of our squad do it too often.

red4ever 79

Have we ever had a CB who was responsible for personally giving away so many goals. My memory goes back to the Viv Anderson days then onto Bruce, Pallister, and I cannot think of another CB who made so many mistakes?

wolvored

Yes. Thanks for clarifying Einstein. But they have also played in the post-Fergie and have been part of two failed regimes (Moyes and Van Gaal). Managers are to blame but players should also get some flack, if they’ve been given multiple lifelines.
I agree with that. You have to look at why their contracts were renewed when the performances or lack of them were poor. With Jones especially as he has been injury prone all his playing career here. Einstein

wolvored

Wouldn't surprise me if the club have an optional year on his deal that they will likely activate.
This is where it's so wrong. Why keep a useless player on the books any longer than necessary?

Kostov

How can someone say he was good, or he should stay after the pathetic displays he had in the last 7-8 months? I was deluded before to think he was good enough, but Christ what was I thinking. He is the Djourou/Senderos of this club, what we all laughed at Arsenal back when we had competent CBs.