Has the 'Europa League' rebranding been a success?

Devil81

I miss the "Cup Winners Cup"
The three competitions didn't need changing in my opinion, you got UEFA cup for 5th and 6th place position in the league and a Cup winners cup place if you won one of our domestic cup competitions.

I'm sure getting rid of it effected smaller teams as well, occasionally smaller clubs win the domestic cup competitions and they got a taste of European competition.

It all worked well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The three competitions didn't need changing in my opinion, you got UEFA cup for 5th and 6th place position in the league and a Cup winners cup place if you won one of our domestic cup competitions.

I'm sure getting rid of it effected smaller teams as well, occasionally smaller clubs win the domestic cup competitions and they got a taste of European competition.

It all worked well.
The UEFA cup was 2nd to 4th or 5th. The thing that changed everything was the creation of the Champions League which took the best teams from the UEFA cup. The teams that are currently in the Europa League played in the Intertoto.

justsomebloke

I know it's essentially the same competition and it's the same physical trophy. But for me there's far, far less prestige in that competition now than when it was called the UEFA Cup.

I know that is as much to do with the branding than anything else and even if it was to still be called the UEFA Cup the growing dominance and expansion of the CL would have likely meant by 2023 the competition would have been hugely devalued by now anyway.

But still I can't help but think the 'Europa League' branding had been a major contributor to people dismissing it as a competition.
I think it's a misconception to think of the Europa League and the UEFA cup as basically the same tournament, or even as very similar ones. The old UEFA Cup contained the best teams that didn't win the League, or the national Cup - as far as the big leagues go, most of the teams in it would be in the Champions League with today's format. It was, in short, a much more high-calibre tournament than the Europa League is. Hence, it rightly carried more prestige.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Letting teams who have failed in the CL makes it a travesty. You do not finish Top 2 in CL then tough luck.
This is why it feels devalued, and why in some ways the "boomer" version was better, the fact that top 4 in the PL gets you the CL whilst in some countries champions don't even qualify shows what the CL is and always has been about money

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
And this reeks of the opposite.

There's nothing boomer about thinking a competition that used to have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams from each country being better than one starting from 5th. It's common sense.

Mind you, by the time of the rebranding the damage was done already.
Indeed.

Maradona,Matthaus, Khan, Buffon, Thuram, and R9 won the old UEFA Cup for example, all of them at their prime.

I don't see any player of the status of those names in the modern Europa League, because those kind of players are all in the UCL these days.

Big reminder that UEFA gave 4 spots to the top european leagues, so you have now even less quality teams and top players in the UEL.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is why it feels devalued, and why in some ways the "boomer" version was better, the fact that top 4 in the PL gets you the CL whilst in some countries champions don't even qualify shows what the CL is and always has been about money
Definitely. That's all football is about now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Europa League just sounds like a cheap knock-off to the UEFA Cup. It's like when Opal Fruits became Starburst. Or when City changed their logo to the cheap and tacky, souless modern one they have now. Well, it would be the same if City's logo didn't originally represent a load of shite but you get the point.

I also hate the Conference League. Nobody wants it. Like a ticket to a City game. They should merge the Conference League and Europa League into an expanded UEFA Cup, have three teams in each group so there's still loads of games but less stress for individual clubs. It would be great if UEFA actually cared about anything other than money. They could be seen as an organisation that actually cares about football instead of money and power, sort of like a reverse City.

Also, feck Manchester City.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think the problem is that the heyday of the second competition has been and gone thanks to letting everyone and their mum into the 'Champions' League.

Ludens the Red

Has the rebrand been a success?

Yes, massively. Knockout games are competitively contested, grounds are full and the players give a feck. I feel like the Europa league also throws up far much more new match ups.

The Champions League has great games but it’s throwing up the same ties year after year.
Conference league has also been a massive success to give uefa their credit. Realistically speaking there’s only currently 3-4 teams that can actually win the Champions League which means you’ve got a host of other giant clubs who are now taking the Europa league far more seriously when they’re in it. See man United, Barcelona and Juventus.

Surely @Mr Pigeon you can see the merits of a European competition that allows smaller clubs who do well in their league to have a realistic chance of winning European silverware. Did you see the semi finals and how much it meant to the fans and players of West Ham and Fiorentina to get to the final?
European football did actually used to have three competitions. This isn’t anything new.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think the problem is that the heyday of the second competition has been and gone thanks to letting everyone and their mum into the 'Champions' League.
You are right about the first part but it's important to say that the Champions League was for all intent and purposes a new competition and a competition that I believe was wanted and is appreciated by fans. The UEFA Cup became a collateral damage and the issue with the UEFA is that they didn't try to create a new competition with new goals, they just tried to continue with a depleted C3. As an example the UEFA could have become a lottery ticket for teams playing it by offering large prize money that could help a club reach the next level but instead they concentrated all revenues and prizes to the CL, got rid of C2 and the Intertoto also disappeared.

Devil81

The UEFA cup was 2nd to 4th or 5th. The thing that changed everything was the creation of the Champions League which took the best teams from the UEFA cup. The teams that are currently in the Europa League played in the Intertoto.
Yeah I'm aware of that I'm 41 mate.

I'm sure the final few years we had it was 5th and 6th though.

Devil81

But there needs to be a competive competition for the next tier of teams. To devalue it and disrespect it stinks for me.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Has the rebrand been a success?

Yes, massively. Knockout games are competitively contested, grounds are full and the players give a feck. I feel like the Europa league also throws up far much more new match ups.

The Champions League has great games but it’s throwing up the same ties year after year.
Conference league has also been a massive success to give uefa their credit. Realistically speaking there’s only currently 3-4 teams that can actually win the Champions League which means you’ve got a host of other giant clubs who are now taking the Europa league far more seriously when they’re in it. See man United, Barcelona and Juventus.

Surely @Mr Pigeon you can see the merits of a European competition that allows smaller clubs who do well in their league to have a realistic chance of winning European silverware. Did you see the semi finals and how much it meant to the fans and players of West Ham and Fiorentina to get to the final?
European football did actually used to have three competitions. This isn’t anything new.
Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit of an arse about the Conference League. An arse, like the many arses that don't go to the Etihad every week to fill the empty seats.

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
It’s a bit of a laugh for some teams to make it and a pain in the arse for others to spend their Thursdays travelling around Europe. It doesn’t get taken seriously until the quarter finals imo

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The Champions League is like playing FIFA online where everybody just picks the best three teams and it feels like you've played that same game 2000 times before.

Europa League is like having your mates round and gentlemanly agreeing to only use 3 or 4-star teams because it doesn't make the gameplay a fecking slog - plus legends are made in the process.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just too many teams. If you're going to have that many clubs, it should be knock out from the start.

I do feel for the organizers though given how many big clubs the CL hoovers up.

cafecillos

The concepts of a domestic league champions European competition and a domestic cup champions European competition were brilliant in their simplicity and purity, but they are just unthinkable now, too much money involved in the current UCL format (or even in a larger one).

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Its a great competition. Very competitive as well and the football played their is more reminiscent of the old days with many historic clubs going deep. Where as the CL lowkey gets boring with the same clubs making the final four with oil centric clubs.

If anything it has even more prestige now.

Zora

The Europa and Champions League competitions are both tedious (unless you win one of them!)

I miss the Cup Winners Cup and Champions League in the 90s and early 00s. Thinking about it, football today is tedious in general. I love United and watch every game but thats it, I don't consume any other football anymore.

That might sound like I'm old and grumpy, maybe I am. I think football today isn't as entertaining as it was when I was a youngster in the 80s & 90s.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What should happen is that the Europa league, by whatever name, should be a halfway house for a club, between no European competition at all, and the Champions League.

If a club graduates from domestic only to Champions league then the increase in squad size needed is large (and expensive), but if the Europa League had half the games of the Champions league that would allow a club to build their squad incrementally as they improved.

It will never happen because sporting authorities exist to increase the number of events under their control, not decrease them, and the Uefa committee are only interested in their own power and revenue, not what might be best for the clubs and football.

redshaw

Europa still sounds trivial to me no matter how strong it can get.

More expansion is coming to the CL and no doubt will become a super league of sorts in the coming decades further devaluing Europa/Uefa Cup. Much prefer Uefa Cup even if it's due to connotations from a older stronger competition.