Have salaries at top clubs finally become too high?

RoyH1

I think the issue you're highlighting is more the financial gap between the big and small clubs. The big clubs are hoovering up talent by offering more money than anyone else, but now are suffering because they can't offload the same talent they hoovered up.

It's not the players fault - the players just get paid whatever that club is willing to pay them to incentivise them to join or stay at that given moment.

What needs to happen is squad sizes need to get capped - including players that can be loaned out. Once that happens, clubs can't board up talent and have to make more careful choices on who they're keeping on their books.
Agree. And I think that's one of the things that Ceferin, the UEFA president wanted to work on. It's crazy the amount of players that teams like Madrid or Chelsea have on their books.

Eventually I think some sort of salary cap will also come into being in order to fend off the future efforts of the oil wealth clubs. They don't have the largest salary bases yet, but they're going to keep going until they win the CL in my view. And that's were it's in the interests of the established big clubs to address the issue.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just to check are we now on the same page re clubs paying agents?

I agree re players and their earnings and this is where the cap would be useful, in a way by removing the power of the agent (making the player directly compensate them NOT a club with near limitless resources) you protect the player/give the player more control & then I can see a lot more performance based and loyalty based bonuses making up a much larger portion of contracts.

A good example of this would have been, let's say Sanchez had been signed and our cap was £250k (in reality enough to attract almost any player) and the rest was in performance based bonuses, it would still have been a terrible and expensive free transfer but it would have the cost the club multiple millions less. Even if the 'savings' for clubs that come from caps are a small percentage it's money that could (although it probably wouldn't) be used to subsidise ticket prices. on the player side it's not as good in that your guaranteed weekly money is less, although most won;t be near the cap and so it's irrelevant to them, and for the superstars like Neymar, bale etc who would be taking the biggest hits they'd just have incredible performance based bonuses in their contracts. As an aside that would immediately stop what's happening with Bale at RM because he'd have to move and play to be earning anywhere near what he's on & would also stop players tying themselves into stupidly long contracts.
Well I told you that clubs use agents and therefore pay them, I didn't tell you that clubs don't pay agents, your article confirmed it but you tried to argue against that. Also players pay agents for their services, the part that the clubs may pay during transactions is a remuneration and recognize as such which is also confirmed by your article and why players pay taxes on that part which again is mentioned in that article. So as long as you agree that I'm right, we are on the same page. :D

tomaldinho1

Well I told you that clubs use agents and therefore pay them, I didn't tell you that clubs don't pay agents, your article confirmed it but you tried to argue against that. Also players pay agents for their services, the part that the clubs may pay during transactions is a remuneration and recognize as such which is also confirmed by your article and why players pay taxes on that part which again is mentioned in that article. So as long as you agree that I'm right, we are on the same page. :D
It's only a short exchange of posts, I suggest you reread the conversation

Supports
England
I'm sure someone has already said this (and then another few who didn't read the entire thread, and now me) but salaries were too high 20 years ago. Without getting too political, any society where athletes are paid so substantially more than the generators and propagators of knowledge is a profoundly sick one. There's a good reason that actors used to be de facto beggars.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
At the risk of sounding like an old man but it was the moment they went above £10K a week. Since then it has just gone beyond ridiculous.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I remember people saying this in 1996. Still waiting for that bubble to burst.