Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

As of yet we basically have a Project LB in Malacia and Eriksen with his best behind him. Not bad additions to the squad, and I could see them taking starting spots because we have such horrific starters already.

We might get FDJ and Martinez and that seems to be it. 4 new players when we needed at least 6 leaves ETH with far too much to do. I think I would feel more calm if we had more than 4 salvageable players in this team but the scouts and club have failed the manager once again.

Erik better be a miracle worker or its another long season it seems.

OrcaFat

As of yet we basically have a Project LB in Malacia and Eriksen with his best behind him. Not bad additions to the squad, and I could see them taking starting spots because we have such horrific starters already.

We might get FDJ and Martinez and that seems to be it. 4 new players when we needed at least 6 leaves ETH with far too much to do. I think I would feel more calm if we had more than 4 salvageable players in this team but the scouts and club have failed the manager once again.

Erik better be a miracle worker or its another long season it seems.
I’d be happy with those four as a first window.

MrSingh2002

What's fecked up is that when you watch the pre season videos, it looks as though we're waiting for the first teamers to join the squad.

But then you realise everyone's there besides Ronaldo and this is actually the squad now.

We're alot worse off than last years squad at the moment.

If someone told you 3 months ago we'd lose all the first teamers that we have this summer and we'd have only signed a left back by the pre season tour. You wouldn't have believed it.

The only likely deals at the moment look like Eriksen and probably Martinez. So that's worrying now. Maybe ETH doesn't do 2nd and 3rd choice targets as much as Jose, LVG and Moyes accepted.

In the long run that could pay off if he's not sacked for the performances we'll get from the current mediocre squad.

OrcaFat

What's fecked up is that when you watch the pre season videos, it looks as though we're waiting for the first teamers to join the squad.

But then you realise everyone's there besides Ronaldo and this is actually the squad now.

We're alot worse off than last years squad at the moment.

If someone told you 3 months ago we'd lose all the first teamers that we have this summer and we'd have only signed a left back by the pre season tour. You wouldn't have believed it.

The only likely deals at the moment look like Eriksen and probably Martinez. So that's worrying now. Maybe ETH doesn't do 2nd and 3rd choice targets as much as Jose, LVG and Moyes accepted.

In the long run that could pay off if he's not sacked for the performances we'll get from the current mediocre squad.
Yeah, I don’t want us signing players that ETH doesn’t want just because we can’t get the ones he does want. It will, no doubt, slow the rebuild down but better to build right than build quick (if you can’t do both that is).

MrSingh2002

Yeah, I don’t want us signing players that ETH doesn’t want just because we can’t get the ones he does want. It will, no doubt, slow the rebuild down but better to build right than build quick (if you can’t do both that is).
The only negative question this might raise is why ETH isn't able to identify other targets that he may not have previously worked with.

In terms of footballers worldwide it would limit him and the club a lot. Seems quite comfort zoney so far.

At a big club or club with high ambitions he's going to have to cast the net further out.

Giggsyking

The same people moaned about us paying too much for players are the same people moaning about our current transfer window. How can you not be excited about the next season? Just the thought of a new revolutionary manager/coach fill me with excitement. I would still be excited about next season even if we go with the same corps of players. FFS show some positivity.

OrcaFat

The only negative question this might raise is why ETH isn't able to identify other targets that he may not have previously worked with.

In terms of footballers worldwide it would limit him and the club a lot. Seems quite comfort zoney so far.

At a big club or club with high ambitions he's going to have to cast the net further out.
Yeah, fair point. I just don’t want, say, Dybala forced on him if he says he does not want him.

UnitedFire

Just a reminder today is the 7th week since the season ended.

Great work on signing....a cheap left back!

Oh and of course players had to go and we've seen lots of value leave for free. Then we've managed to achieve a loan and one sale of mild note. One previously rated youth talent has gone for peanuts.

ForeverRed1

Just a reminder today is the 7th week since the season ended.

Great work on signing....a cheap left back!

Oh and of course players had to go and we've seen lots of value leave for free. Then we've managed to achieve a loan and one sale of mild note. One previously rated youth talent has gone for peanuts.
ffs, they are working on signings. Multi million pound players, not a shop down your local asda.

If we only get malacia and Eriksen by the start of the season, then we can really be pissed!

klayton88

The meltdown in here in Tuesday when Liverpool turn us over is going to be unparalleled.

Irwin99

The meltdown in here in Tuesday when Liverpool turn us over is going to be unparalleled.
Nah! it'll probably be more like Van Gaal where we destroy teams pre-season and we all get our little hopes up only to be brought back down to reality :lol: :(

I think Eriksen , De Jong, Martinez and Malacia would be a decent/interesting window but a lot still depends on the Ronaldo situation i guess. We're banking on Rashford and Martial rediscovering their form from two years ago without reinforcements in the striker position.

van Persie

Arsenal: Gabriel Jesus
Chelsea: Sterling
Liverpool: Nunez
City: Haaland
Spurs: Richarlison, Bissouma
United: Malacia

Aston Villa and Leeds have spent around 100m also. Not to mention Newcastle.

You'd think based on our "status" and how awful we were last season we would be in the forefront of strengthening our team, but no. We can't even get rid of players. Season starts in less than a month. We have a new manager who need players to implement his style and all that we've got is a left-back backup from Eredivisie in one of few positions we actually had cover in already.

Ronaldo's Love Child

ffs, they are working on signings. Multi million pound players, not a shop down your local asda.

If we only get malacia and Eriksen by the start of the season, then we can really be pissed!

That may well be but other targets should not be as complicated and drawn out as the De Jong affair and we haven't signed them either have we?

Eriksen doesn't even involve a transfer fee and yet he still hasn't signed up yet. Antony, Martinez + name any others. They're not here!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

How or why are you omitting pre-season? Throwing players cold into a new team, squad, country and league is not a recipe for disaster?

Ted Lasso

Arsenal: Gabriel Jesus
Chelsea: Sterling
Liverpool: Nunez
City: Haaland
Spurs: Richarlison, Bissouma
United: Malacia

Aston Villa and Leeds have spent around 100m also. Not to mention Newcastle.

You'd think based on our "status" and how awful we were last season we would be in the forefront of strengthening our team, but no. We can't even get rid of players. Season starts in less than a month. We have a new manager who need players to implement his style and all that we've got is a left-back backup from Eredivisie in one of few positions we actually had cover in already.
New CEO. Give him this transfer window til the end and that's it. WE as fans let Woodward get away with it for nearly a decade. But losing patience right now is not the sensible

van Persie

New CEO. Give him this transfer window til the end and that's it. WE as fans let Woodward get away with it for nearly a decade. But losing patience right now is not the sensible
We don't have until the end of the window. We need to get our squad sorted out before the season starts, we have a new manager and hopefully a new system

Better hope Ten Hag is fecking jesus christ

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
i hope we sign both Martinez and Pau Torres and play Martinez as a CDM, he is great in that position and if we can get FDJ and Antony as well then we should be more then happy with the start of the rebuild.

De Gea
Mukiele Varane Torres Malacia
Martinez FDJ
Antony Bruno Sancho
Rashford/Martial

New backup GK = Should be 0m
Mukiele = 10m
Malacia = 12m
Martinez = 45m
FDJ = 75m
Antony = 50m
Eriksen = 0m

Total= 192m minus the ones we sell (Telles/Williams, Jones/Bailly/Tuanzebe, AWB/Dalot, Ronaldo) = should bring in around 60m) = 135m spent

Malacia is a transfer target i talked about months ago, huge talent. If we give him time, we will have our new Evra, him and Mukiele (who is availble for 10m because he has one year left on his contract, and Leipzig (and according to a report with close contacts to the club comfired that he rejected a new contract proposal because he sees his chance to go to a bigger club, and he believes that Leipzig would demand around 35-40m if he renews his contract, which was his value 12-18 months ago. Same reporter was first with the news that both Kample and Halstenberg would sign new contracts, both had one year left on their current contract and also that Nkunku would extend his contract to 2026, still only earning 130k per week - Leipzig is well runned club btw - si Leipzig wants to get back at around 75% of the 16m they paid for him). Many are googled his stats and seen that he had only 2 goals and 5 assist in 37 matches, not knowing he was played most games as 1 of 3 CBs in a back 3. That is still like all of AWB, Telles, Dalot and Shaw got combined. He is fast, strong, decent dribbler, good crossings, can run up and down the wing for 90min and is only 24 years old.

I think we should keep Martial, his way to play is perfect in ETH formation. If we give him 10-15 games, so he can grove back his confindence, i believe he can score 15-20 goals. Same goes with Rashford, i think we will get back the Rashford we saw 18 months ago, and IF we do so and get Martial going - i dont believe we need a "real" striker. Attacking with Martinez and FDJ who both are excellent passers to start with, then having Bruno/Eriksen in the middle as playmakers who will have Antony, Sancho and Rashford/Martial upfront making runs and switching positions will be enough for us to 100% score more goals then this year.

I have to talk about Martinez. He is GREAT player. Maybe even better as a CDM if we can get Torres (i would still play him as CDM if just go with Varane + Lindelöf, Maguire, Bailly or Tuanzebe (i would sell Maguire to Newcastle for 40-50m, i believe they would pay it) and invest the money on Torres. Otherwise we need to sell at least Bailly and Tuanzebe at least. I still believe more in Bailly, if he can stay healty, then i do in Maguire.
My english is not the best, so i cant explain in the way i would like to why Martinez is a PERFECT CDM for us, but at least search Martinez CDM on youtube and you will see what i mean, he has the ability to win back the ball, he is excellent passer, he is strong, he can beat his man, he can carry the ball, he can run miles.

(If Ronaldo leaves, which i hope, we can get 25-30m for him and save the huge wages, and he doesnt fit the way Ten Hag wants to play at all and i think many of the attacking players are "afraid" to express themselfs as long he is in the team because they want to satisfy him, every attack has to go through him, every last pass has to at least had to be checked up IF it go to him,. Even when he is not in the best position when we are countering the players are first looking where he is, which make us lose at least 1-2 seconds, the 1-2 seconds that makes a difference between us scoring 10-15 more goals on counter attacks (like we did when OGS had his best offensive period and we had a lot of different goalscorers. This year we never scored less goals, but he got 18 i think in PL (even though if it 2 hattricks and some penalties). He is a legend, i love him for everything he has done for the club and even for the last season he gave us, but its time for him to make some money in the US - thats my wish, because i couldnt stand seeing him playing in a different PL team and i dont think any other club in Europe are willing to pay his wager).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
ETH is a top appointment but people posting that it's enough to guarantee improvements have blinkers on unfortunately.

When Pep arrived at City with a much better squad already in place he got Gundogan, Stones, Sane, Jesus and Bravo (amongst others). His style of players in key positions. Klopp in his first summer window got Mane, Matip and Wijnaldum (amongst others). Look at how Conte has been backed since arriving at Spurs. Chelsea will invest big, and Arsenal are revamping intelligently.

Every other serious club has addressed vulnerabilities in their squad and improved. Our squad is weaker than it was in May. And it was bad then.

We are going to need a mad last 4 weeks (signing per week?) this window to reach the bare minimum of expectation for this summer.

None of the major areas of concern have been addressed in the squad in my opinion, and it doesn't look like we're planning on sorting a number of these anytime soon (RB, ST, CDM).

I get that Rome wasn't built in a day, but you can make a better start than this. Realistically, this window has been a massive disappointment so far.
100% this.

ETH is an exciting appointment and a step in the right direction, but many here are under the delusion that we can hand-wave away all the problems in our squad just because he's our manager now.

Ted Lasso

We don't have until the end of the window. We need to get our squad sorted out before the season starts, we have a new manager and hopefully a new system

Better hope Ten Hag is fecking jesus christ
That's a good point too - this transfer window is on ten Hag.

Up until he dismissed Rangnick we had a different set of players being put together and this idea of recruiting regardless of the manager. That's what everyone has been begging for and what the CEO established right away. So we've done a 180 at the end of the season after months of planning.

That we've gone back to this list for ETH does place some weight on the manager as well. It's been reported that level of control was one of the requisites for him joining.

With that said, fans can't have it both ways. Even more reason to calm down and be patient. One window of flailing our arms around and making a fuss doesn't absolve us of being complacent for so long under Woodward.

Hawks2008

I’d be happy with those four as a first window.
In a vacuum they are 4 good additions. When you look at the squad and how poor it is it becomes clear they aren't enough. It will be a huge error if we go into the season without addressing our urgent needs at RB, DM, and ST.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That's not how the Caf works, people will be very aware that it's a preseason friendly if we win. Which is of course the correct stance either way
I remember when we last beat them in a pre-season friendly (in the USA)... you'd have thought we'd already won the title. Pre-season has never interested me. I recall once going to a game at Reading only to find just one first-team player on the field. A good one in Neil Webb, but never again

OrcaFat

In a vacuum they are 4 good additions. When you look at the squad and how poor it is it becomes clear they aren't enough. It will be a huge error if we go into the season without addressing our urgent needs at RB, DM, and ST.
They aren’t enough but much more than I am expecting.

UTD_Since_1978

I think we should keep Martial, his way to play is perfect in ETH formation. If we give him 10-15 games, so he can grove back his confindence, i believe he can score 15-20 goals.
Not being funny or owt but you have more faith in Martial & Rashers than me. 15-20 goals is pitiful, Haaland will probably get that before the WC starts yet alone all season (barring injury).

Selling Ronaldo & relying on Rashford & Martial to score goals for us is not a pretty prospect for next season.

I reckon if Martial & Rashford play in 50 PL games between them next season & Haaland plays in at least 28 PL games, Haaland will score more goals than those two combined.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not being funny or owt but you have more faith in Martial & Rashers than me. 15-20 goals is pitiful, Haaland will probably get that before the WC starts yet alone all season (barring injury).

Selling Ronaldo & relying on Rashford & Martial to score goals for us is not a pretty prospect for next season.

I reckon if Martial & Rashford play in 50 PL games between them next season & Haaland plays in at least 28 PL games, Haaland will score more goals than those two combined.
can't think any bookies would take that bet - they'd go out of business

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The club seems to be spending more times telling us about the collar on the new kit than getting deals done!

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm

With Ronaldo in the team we scored less goals then we have ever, he scored a lot goals, but if he didnt score 2 hattricks and 3 on penalties, that is 50% of his PL:s goals. he stats would not have been that great. He scored in 12 out of 31 PL games, that is one goal in every 3.4 games. Without penalites it would have been even worse, 10 games with a goal scored. Give Martial all the balls, play every final pass in the box to/against him, give him all penalties and i promise you he will score around 15 goals also if we give him 30+ games as a striker. Same with Rashford. They need their confindence bsck, and the best way it to show them that if we let Ronaldo go, then we will give them enough gaves to prove they can be the players we all know they have potential to be.

Im not compering anyone of them with him, he is the GOAT! But in a team where we are not ready for superstar like him yet. We need players that play for each other and not one who cares as much about him being the best player in the world, being in center of world, everything going through hiim and he is not ready (and doesnt have time anymore) to be part of a team that needs 2-3 years to rebuild. He wants to keep winning some trophies, scoring goals, playing in the CL etc etc and we can not offer him nothing of that right now. We got him back for a season, which not many of us believed would happen, he gave us some new memories and he will never be forgotten - but Ronaldo is not easy to handle in a team, specielly not in one that is not fighting for the league and CL every year. He wants to score some more goals in CL so that Messi cant catch him, he wants to have the chance to win another Ballon d'OR - and he wont do that in Manchester United the next 1-2-3 years, he might not even play CL for 2 years staying here. And keeping a Ronaldo (if he doesnt want to stay) is not a good idea, he will bring down the mentality not only his own, but even for the rest of the troop.

I still believe Sancho, Ronaldo, Bruno, Martial etc etc are better of without of his pressure. They need to feel that they are the knows that are supposed to bring this team to the next level, and if we finally sign a great RW (Antony), our speed and rotation with Antony, Sancho, Rashford and Martial will give us another dimension of playing + having Bruno/Eriksen delivering passes and hopefully with FDJ and Martinez

Lights Out

Defeat might not actually be a bad thing. Our owners are that dumb that a win might make them think the squad is good enough for the season.

worldinmotion66

i hope we sign both Martinez and Pau Torres and play Martinez as a CDM, he is great in that position and if we can get FDJ and Antony as well then we should be more then happy with the start of the rebuild.

De Gea
Mukiele Varane Torres Malacia
Martinez FDJ
Antony Bruno Sancho
Rashford/Martial

New backup GK = Should be 0m
Mukiele = 10m
Malacia = 12m
Martinez = 45m
FDJ = 75m
Antony = 50m
Eriksen = 0m

Total= 192m minus the ones we sell (Telles/Williams, Jones/Bailly/Tuanzebe, AWB/Dalot, Ronaldo) = should bring in around 60m) = 135m spent

Malacia is a transfer target i talked about months ago, huge talent. If we give him time, we will have our new Evra, him and Mukiele (who is availble for 10m because he has one year left on his contract, and Leipzig (and according to a report with close contacts to the club comfired that he rejected a new contract proposal because he sees his chance to go to a bigger club, and he believes that Leipzig would demand around 35-40m if he renews his contract, which was his value 12-18 months ago. Same reporter was first with the news that both Kample and Halstenberg would sign new contracts, both had one year left on their current contract and also that Nkunku would extend his contract to 2026, still only earning 130k per week - Leipzig is well runned club btw - si Leipzig wants to get back at around 75% of the 16m they paid for him). Many are googled his stats and seen that he had only 2 goals and 5 assist in 37 matches, not knowing he was played most games as 1 of 3 CBs in a back 3. That is still like all of AWB, Telles, Dalot and Shaw got combined. He is fast, strong, decent dribbler, good crossings, can run up and down the wing for 90min and is only 24 years old.

I think we should keep Martial, his way to play is perfect in ETH formation. If we give him 10-15 games, so he can grove back his confindence, i believe he can score 15-20 goals. Same goes with Rashford, i think we will get back the Rashford we saw 18 months ago, and IF we do so and get Martial going - i dont believe we need a "real" striker. Attacking with Martinez and FDJ who both are excellent passers to start with, then having Bruno/Eriksen in the middle as playmakers who will have Antony, Sancho and Rashford/Martial upfront making runs and switching positions will be enough for us to 100% score more goals then this year.

I have to talk about Martinez. He is GREAT player. Maybe even better as a CDM if we can get Torres (i would still play him as CDM if just go with Varane + Lindelöf, Maguire, Bailly or Tuanzebe (i would sell Maguire to Newcastle for 40-50m, i believe they would pay it) and invest the money on Torres. Otherwise we need to sell at least Bailly and Tuanzebe at least. I still believe more in Bailly, if he can stay healty, then i do in Maguire.
My english is not the best, so i cant explain in the way i would like to why Martinez is a PERFECT CDM for us, but at least search Martinez CDM on youtube and you will see what i mean, he has the ability to win back the ball, he is excellent passer, he is strong, he can beat his man, he can carry the ball, he can run miles.

(If Ronaldo leaves, which i hope, we can get 25-30m for him and save the huge wages, and he doesnt fit the way Ten Hag wants to play at all and i think many of the attacking players are "afraid" to express themselfs as long he is in the team because they want to satisfy him, every attack has to go through him, every last pass has to at least had to be checked up IF it go to him,. Even when he is not in the best position when we are countering the players are first looking where he is, which make us lose at least 1-2 seconds, the 1-2 seconds that makes a difference between us scoring 10-15 more goals on counter attacks (like we did when OGS had his best offensive period and we had a lot of different goalscorers. This year we never scored less goals, but he got 18 i think in PL (even though if it 2 hattricks and some penalties). He is a legend, i love him for everything he has done for the club and even for the last season he gave us, but its time for him to make some money in the US - thats my wish, because i couldnt stand seeing him playing in a different PL team and i dont think any other club in Europe are willing to pay his wager).
We getting Pau Torres on a free then?

We've already got five senior centre backs at the club, and Ten Hag has said previously that he sees Martinez as a centre back and not a midfielder. He was their player of the season playing in that position. Plus Torres and Martinez are both left sided centre backs. We won't buy both, especially with the other holes in the squad and our limited budget.

wolvored

The same people moaned about us paying too much for players are the same people moaning about our current transfer window. How can you not be excited about the next season? Just the thought of a new revolutionary manager/coach fill me with excitement. I would still be excited about next season even if we go with the same corps of players. FFS show some positivity.
Well said.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Eth was pretty clear about how important to him to get another forward. So either we are doing great job behind scenes or we are going all in for Antony.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
With Ronaldo in the team we scored less goals then we have ever, he scored a lot goals, but if he didnt score 2 hattricks and 3 on penalties, that is 50% of his PL:s goals. he stats would not have been that great. He scored in 12 out of 31 PL games, that is one goal in every 3.4 games. Without penalites it would have been even worse, 10 games with a goal scored. Give Martial all the balls, play every final pass in the box to/against him, give him all penalties and i promise you he will score around 15 goals also if we give him 30+ games as a striker. Same with Rashford. They need their confindence bsck, and the best way it to show them that if we let Ronaldo go, then we will give them enough gaves to prove they can be the players we all know they have potential to be.

Im not compering anyone of them with him, he is the GOAT! But in a team where we are not ready for superstar like him yet. We need players that play for each other and not one who cares as much about him being the best player in the world, being in center of world, everything going through hiim and he is not ready (and doesnt have time anymore) to be part of a team that needs 2-3 years to rebuild. He wants to keep winning some trophies, scoring goals, playing in the CL etc etc and we can not offer him nothing of that right now. We got him back for a season, which not many of us believed would happen, he gave us some new memories and he will never be forgotten - but Ronaldo is not easy to handle in a team, specielly not in one that is not fighting for the league and CL every year. He wants to score some more goals in CL so that Messi cant catch him, he wants to have the chance to win another Ballon d'OR - and he wont do that in Manchester United the next 1-2-3 years, he might not even play CL for 2 years staying here. And keeping a Ronaldo (if he doesnt want to stay) is not a good idea, he will bring down the mentality not only his own, but even for the rest of the troop.

I still believe Sancho, Ronaldo, Bruno, Martial etc etc are better of without of his pressure. They need to feel that they are the knows that are supposed to bring this team to the next level, and if we finally sign a great RW (Antony), our speed and rotation with Antony, Sancho, Rashford and Martial will give us another dimension of playing + having Bruno/Eriksen delivering passes and hopefully with FDJ and Martinez
I agree to an extent - I always queried how many goals Alan Shearer scored without penalties. But two things stand out: 1) You do have to score a penalty, which Ronaldo does almost but 2) and more importantly, martial doesn't make the runs to be in the right place, he barely looks interested most of the time and certainly didn't look to be playing for others . I'd love to think Rashford could become the rashford of old with confidence restored but something looks very wrong there too.

For me, one of the reasons we scored less goals than ever before was the passing of the midfield. In the season before last, Cavani was making some unbelievable runs, finding space where no one else did but never got the ball. Last season this lack of being able to find the runners (not Cavani this time) coupled with no out and out centre forward is what cost us

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

But he did score two hat tricks, so why take them out of the equation?

Some very strange logic there!

OpenIntrovert

Anybody who decides that we are done based on pre-season results should not even become a fan. It is simply embarassing.

Pre-season is all about getting back your match fitness, testing out new tactics and bedding in new players. Mainly match fitness more than anything.

Red00012

Taking out his goals because he scored a few hat tricks and penalties , maybe you should take out late goals and deflected shots too , ya know because that’s just pure luck (insert crazy emoji here )

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
But he did score two hat tricks, so why take them out of the equation?

Some very strange logic there!
I agree although I think what he might be saying is something some people used to say about Andy Cole: is a goal when you are 3-0 with 10 minutes to go the same as getting the only goal of the game? (not sure it counts in the ronaldo case as his hat tricks were United's only goals in those games). Those goals Cantona scored in 1-0 wins in his first full season certainly were more important than others scored that year but i think the criticism of Cole was wrong and it feels like people are trying to rewrite history simply because a player wants to leave the club now. I just don't see that as a crime - after all, we are always happy when a player want to join us - having left another club

Status
Not open for further replies.