Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

We've got 4 so far. Anthony seems certain to join if united send a 3rd bid.
We would still need a RB (maybe they are waiting for Wan bissaka to leave) , a striker if Ronaldo leaves, and a reserve goal keeper.
We also need a CM

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeah I can only see us having addressed at end of this window

RB (if AWB goes on loan)
LCB
DM (FINALLY)
Left footed RW (if Antony gets done)

So at least we MAY have solved four of our first XI problems, just leaves for next summer

CM (progressive quick passer)
ST (number 9)
GK (backup possibly starter)
AWB looked very dodgy when he came on on Monday night

Drifter

American
200mil spent so far, and I expect there could be a couple more before the end of the transfer window.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Still hoping something magically happens in Barcelona and we sign Frenkie. But we should sort out the Ronaldo/CF situation fast.

croadyman

Still hoping something magically happens in Barcelona and we sign Frenkie. But we should sort out the Ronaldo/CF situation fast.
FDJ is done until next summer, I reckon we will bring in either Memphis/Aubameyang if Ronaldo leaves

reddevilz007

I’d love to know who takes care of Nottingham Forest’s transfers. 19 signings this window, that’s a full squad.

Even though they’re not in the same bracket as us, they sure know how to not waste time.

Fooza

a RB, CM and a backup striker if Ronaldo leaves would make it a great

Hope we aren't done yet after Dubravka

croadyman

a RB, CM and a backup striker if Ronaldo leaves would make it a great

Hope we aren't done yet after Dubravka
Can see Memphis/Aubameyang (yes I know about the Arsenal stuff) if Ronaldo leaves. Very slim possibility of a RB if AWB leaves too

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's so blindingly obvious that we need a natural goal scorer. Let's hope the Mail's "United have done their business for this window" is just bollox from a crap paper

bringbackbebe

World class DM: Check
Playmaker: Check
Agile inside forward who can play on the right: Check
Anyone or anything to replace Maguire: Check
Anyone or anything to replace Shaw & Telles: Check
Backup GK: check

We've failed to sign new owners though. That'll make it the perfect transfer window.

Olecurls99

We've failed to sign new owners though. That'll make it the perfect transfer window.
Yeah 6 signings is great.

We should definitely challenge for top 4 now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d love to know who takes care of Nottingham Forest’s transfers. 19 signings this window, that’s a full squad.

Even though they’re not in the same bracket as us, they sure know how to not waste time.
We will see what good it does them at the end of the season

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm glad with our signings because many of our fans are finally realising how low standards have dropped at the club, and will stop protecting our incompetent players. Hopefully Antony will show many of the fans that MG was at best decent at RW.

I'm most concerned about our striking options. Ronnie offensively will work very well with Antony, but not with Bruno. Defensively, his legs appear to be gone. His heart also doesn't seem to be in it. Martial is a sicknote who couldn't hack it at Sevilla. Right-back is a weakness but also one of the least important positions so I can understand the de-prioritisation.

Hopefully Dubravka is competent enough to start in bigger matches, because it will provide Ten Hag the tactical flexibility to play a high defensive line and build out from the back.

Next year we go for a CF, GK, CM and RB. In that order.

whitbyviking

PSG just signed Ruiz and is about to sign Soler. And that for less than Casemiro.
2 CMs that could have been good partners to Casemiro, for less than 30 mil each.
Even when you consider large areas of Paris are a cesspit it’s still more attractive to Manchester. Plus PSG are a little higher up the food chain at the current time

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Solid transfer window. Addressed some priority positions (DM, CM, RW, CB and LB - plus a backup GK). Maybe could have gotten rid of a few more but good work nonetheless. Also, if I am being greedy, we could/should have maybe pushed to bring in a loan signing or 2, to cover RB/CM.

RB, GK, CM and CF should be the priority over the next 2 windows (though we barely do a lot of transfers during Jan and we have the WC distraction this year).

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Still short at CM and RB, not to mention a 20 goal forward. But some unexpected signings albeit at silly premium.

golden_blunder

Staff
More to show how slow and inefficient our club is.
Inefficient?
Martinez, Eriksen, Malacia, Casemiro, Antony, dubravka

the first 5 literally go into the first team changing the whole nature of the team! How is that inefficient??

you think they what forest has done is normal?19 players in at over 150m. I don’t think that’s wise. They are gambling on them all coming together and staying up. They are in the shit if they go down. I mean anyone can go out and sign random players with little thought

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Inefficient?
Martinez, Eriksen, Malacia, Casemiro, Antony, dubravka

the first 5 literally go into the first team changing the whole nature of the team! How is that inefficient??

you think they what forest has done is normal?19 players in at over 150m. I don’t think that’s wise. They are gambling on them all coming together and staying up. They are in the shit if they go down. I mean anyone can go out and sign random players with little thought
Comparison with Forest doesn't work, as you said they are in a world of hurt if they don't stay up.

But that's not to say we don't have issues either. We have brought in some excellent players, but the process/planning has been all over the place.

Remember, if it wasn't for protests/threat of Radcliffe bid, we would likely be looking at Rabiot and Arnautovic instead of Casemiro and Antony. It's pretty clear the Glazers made funds available once it looked like their position was under threat.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Comparison with Forest doesn't work, as you said they are in a world of hurt if they don't stay up.

But that's not to say we don't have issues either. We have brought in some excellent players, but the process/planning has been all over the place.

Remember, if it wasn't for protests/threat of Radcliffe bid, we would likely be looking at Rabiot and Arnautovic instead of Casemiro and Antony. It's pretty clear the Glazers made funds available once it looked like their position was under threat.
You say wot? Bizarre.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It’s a decent window, in all. Probably like a 7-8/10. I would’ve preferred the “playmaker” to be more of an actual no.8 who also has playmaking abilities (e.g. more of a Frenkie type than an Eriksen type) but heyho.

The criticisms would probably be; a. The speed [lack thereof] at which some of them were done; b. The cost for some; and c. The lack of outgoings on the other side. I think the only player we’ve actually sold is Pereira, right?

golden_blunder

Staff

Oh I agree with you on that.
I was just amazed that there are fans who are putting forest up as a good example of recruitment. There seems to be little thought process there, a real scattergun attempt. It reminds not me of non league footy when teams bring in a new squad of random players and hope something sticks

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I was just amazed that there are fans who are putting forest up as a good example of recruitment. There seems to be little thought process there, a real scattergun attempt. It reminds not me of non league footy when teams bring in a new squad of random players and hope something sticks
Sorry, wait. Do you agree with this: "Remember, if it wasn't for protests/threat of Radcliffe bid, we would likely be looking at Rabiot and Arnautovic instead of Casemiro and Antony."?

golden_blunder

Staff
Sorry, wait. Do you agree with this: "Remember, if it wasn't for protests/threat of Radcliffe bid, we would likely be looking at Rabiot and Arnautovic instead of Casemiro and Antony."?
I’m torn on that but to be fair that’s the way it seemed to be heading

on the flip side I read something recently that said Casemiro knew from Christmas time that he would leave this summer. Soma possibility exists that we had that lined up if needed

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid

yeah why didn't we sign 19 lingards

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I’m torn on that but to be fair that’s the way it seemed to be heading

on the flip side I read something recently that said Casemiro knew from Christmas time that he would leave this summer. Soma possibility exists that we had that lined up if needed
So, the Glazers gave the green light to spend 150 million because of a protest and the threat of a bid? That sounds extremely implausible

cletus7

What happened to Declan Rice being bad business at 80m??? Only time will tell, but I have serious reservations about this summers 200m spend. Apparently takes Glazer era total - yes I know it’s not ‘their’ money - to 1.92billion.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Completely. I was actually working in Notts when Marinakis became the majority shareholder and happened to bump into him/his party in a bar. He's completely insane :lol:

bringbackbebe

It’s a decent window, in all. Probably like a 7-8/10. I would’ve preferred the “playmaker” to be more of an actual no.8 who also has playmaking abilities (e.g. more of a Frenkie type than an Eriksen type) but heyho.

The criticisms would probably be; a. The speed [lack thereof] at which some of them were done; b. The cost for some; and c. The lack of outgoings on the other side. I think the only player we’ve actually sold is Pereira, right?
If you think about it, we've lost: Mata, Matic, Lingard, Pogba, Cavani, Bailly, Telles, Henderson (leaving aside Pereira & Dylan Levitt who weren't a part of last year's squad). We've gained Malacia, Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, Martinez & Dubravka - and add Garnacho, Zidane/Savage to the mix. We have the same squad depth as last year in headcount but far better players on paper. This year is also going to be a game every Thursday & Sunday - so we need 2 full squads to manage the rotation. I'm not surprised we haven't sold anyone this year for this very reason. Next year should be the mass clear out. I'd still like to see us cash in on Jones, Chong, Tuanzebe, Williams this window.

Alemar

I'd still like to see us cash in on Jones, Chong, Tuanzebe, Williams this window.
Jones value is zero.
Chong and Tuanzebe might only be sold for nominal fee (think hundreds of thousands, not even 1m each), and Tuanzebe is injured.
Williams also injured

That said, there were rumours of Chong to Birmingham on a permanent transfer, let’s see

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We are going to pay highly for not signing a centre forward this summer... meanwhile, this is the year City win the CL. Any of those people here saying Halaand was going to be a failure feeling silly yet?

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Unfortunately we pay numerous premiums on players by not correctly scouting and proactively managing our transfer strategy.

Premier league tax - if you look across Europe our league pays a huge premium on players.

Big club tax - clubs with higher revenues simply have to pay more.

Late deal tax - buying players late in the window and not giving selling clubs a chance to replace comes at a cost.

In the case of Antony he would have probably gone anywhere else in Europe for around 40m if it had been early August. I reckon premier league tax 15m, big club tax 15m and late deal tax 15m cost us in the end.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Unfortunately we pay numerous premiums on players by not correctly scouting and proactively managing our transfer strategy.

Premier league tax - if you look across Europe our league pays a huge premium on players.

Big club tax - clubs with higher revenues simply have to pay more.

Late deal tax - buying players late in the window and not giving selling clubs a chance to replace comes at a cost.

In the case of Antony he would have probably gone anywhere else in Europe for around 40m if it had been early August. I reckon premier league tax 15m, big club tax 15m and late deal tax 15m cost us in the end.
clearly you haven't been lectured here by some caf members on "that's how business works" and "it's called negotiating" and the brilliant work of those at the club who undertake this greatness...

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
clearly you haven't been lectured here by some caf members on "that's how business works" and "it's called negotiating" and the brilliant work of those at the club who undertake this greatness...
I agree 100%. That is how business works but merely pointing out the make up of the so called 'stupid tax' in the thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.