Have we sold anyone yet? Summer 2022 edition: Nope

Josep Dowling

I reckon we should sell our only world class player to Chelsea. That will show the rest of the league we mean business.

Irwin99

Always thought we'd find it difficult to shift Martial and AWB, though i hoped Jose/Roma might have helped us with the latter.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Always thought we'd find it difficult to shift Martial and AWB, though i hoped Jose/Roma might have helped us with the latter.
Wan Bissaka is straight up Simeone’s alley at Atletico. Don’t they need a right back after selling Trippier?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Wan Bissaka is straight up Simeone’s alley at Atletico. Don’t they need a right back after selling Trippier?
Linked to Bellerin this week, probably around 10m too since he's in his last year of contract. ;)

AndySmith1990

Nice, hopefully it goes through. Sell a few more and that should pocket us enough for an extra player.

Telsim

A grand total of €9M income. :lol: :lol: You can't make this up. Sold one and three loans.

Phil Jones, Bailly, AWB, Tuanzebe, Chong, Williams are still here.

Shoretire, Diallo, Mejbri, Pellistri neither sold nor loaned.

Being this incompetent should be a criminal offense.

croadyman

A grand total of €9M income. :lol: :lol: You can't make this up. Sold one and three loans.

Premier League want locking up for letting this facade manifest itself back in 2005

gaffs

Gary Neville was right on MNF yesterday. United is a graveyard for players.

The problem is their salaries. Jones, Bailly and AWB are all on between £75k and £90k a week.

Which club would want them for that?

Unless they get fed up of not playing are force a transfer and take lower wages, we are stuck with them.

The amount we are paying players is ridiculous. AWB went from £15k a week a palace to to £75k a week at United. I don't recall there being much competition for him at the time.

Im fine with paying more for second contracts, or for proven players, but not for players who we take a risk on because we end up stuck with them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When you look fees which clubs are getting for players (especially younger) and then you realise that we managed to sell one player for 9 mil and loaning few (for who we could have got decent fee).
How bad is Murtough ffs?

Bwuk

I think Garner & Donny probably leave before the window shuts.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I expect Jones Bailly and Chong to still leave.. AWB will depend on another available right back...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well run clubs can sell.

Look at Liverpool this year: Mane (30m, 30 year old, 1 year to go, wanted something they can't offer)
Neco Williams (no idea who he was but 20m euros to NF??????)
Minamino (15m euros, a big flop initially bought for half that amount, unreal)
Marko Grujic (bought for 5m pounds in 2016, I am sure did nothing and sold for 9m euros)
Ben Davies (5m euros).....

Unfreaking believable..... How just how????????????????????

We can't find a buyer for Williams, ABW, Baily (5m selling price when we paid close to 30m)....and more...

So frustratinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Is it all to do with the salaries we pay or is it just pure incompetent of people in charge?
It is not just that we don't know how to negotiate. We are too reluctant to sell too. Unless player asks for transfer, we will not even try to sell him. Not to mention that we will even refuse offers for backup players. Because it is better that they stay in case of "injury crisis."

Lvg had best opinion regarding that "injury crisis" excuse. He said on one press conference that injury crisis (if they happen) are perfect to give a chance to youth players. It is not like injury crisis lasts too long. Those 3-4 games you can play with Garnacho, Iqbal, Mengi or whoever (depending which position is injury hit).
We now have 8-9 midfielders. No point in that. 3 right full backs. 7 central defenders. And we are not even playing CL.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Doesn't our inability to sell essentially come down to the insane wages distinctly average (at best) players find themselves on at Utd, coupled with us not wanting to sell for massively under what we tend to pay? It's essentially a result of overpaying on every front.

Elcabron

Well run clubs can sell.

Look at Liverpool this year: Mane (30m, 30 year old, 1 year to go, wanted something they can't offer)
Marko Grujic (bought for 5m pounds in 2016, I am sure did nothing and sold for 9m euros)

We can't find a buyer for Williams, ABW, Baily (5m selling price when we paid close to 30m)....and more...

Is it all to do with the salaries we pay or is it just pure incompetent of people in charge?
So very frustrating. I just don't understand it. Do Liverpool employ a sales person or something. We have to send a player on loan first before we can even consider selling. We have to be the worst club in the world when it comes to selling players.

Bailey, AWB, Williams, Telles, Tzunzabe are all decent players. Why can't we sell them? Even Telles and Bailey have to go on loan. Why wasn't Henderson sold for 30m?
DVB and either Lindelof or Maguire should also be sold. Ronaldo released.

Elcabron

It is not just that we don't know how to negotiate. We are too reluctant to sell too. Unless player asks for transfer, we will not even try to sell him. Not to mention that we will even refuse offers for backup players. Because it is better that they stay in case of "injury crisis."

Lvg had best opinion regarding that "injury crisis" excuse. He said on one press conference that injury crisis (if they happen) are perfect to give a chance to youth players. It is not like injury crisis lasts too long. Those 3-4 games you can play with Garnacho, Iqbal, Mengi or whoever (depending which position is injury hit).
We now have 8-9 midfielders. No point in that. 3 right full backs. 7 central defenders. And we are not even playing CL.
It's mental. Two in each position is plenty i.e. 4 centre backs and 4 midfielders. City seem to be going the LVG route as well, I don't recognize half the names on their bench these days.

Leaner squad is much better, more game time for players and less players unhappy. More opportunities for youngster's as well as you say. Win win all round.

flappyjay

Doesn't our inability to sell essentially come down to the insane wages distinctly average (at best) players find themselves on at Utd, coupled with us not wanting to sell for massively under what we tend to pay? It's essentially a result of overpaying on every front.
Bailly's 80k a week and Telles 90k a week are the reason why they are on loan whilst whatever AWB is on is stopping us from recouping at least half of our investment as he can only attract mid table teams. its no coincidence that our best sale in a while was Dan James who was on around 40k. Williams is on 40 but should be on 20 and is hard to move.

flappyjay

It's mental. Two in each position is plenty i.e. 4 centre backs and 4 midfielders. City seem to be going the LVG route as well, I don't recognize half the names on their bench these days.

Leaner squad is much better, more game time for players and less players unhappy. More opportunities for youngster's as well as you say. Win win all round.
The goalkeeper is the only position that should have 3 senior players in my opinion. Every other position should be 2 and backed up by whatever we have in the u21's.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well run clubs can sell.

Why do you type like that by the way? So frustratinggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We really need to start selling players. We spent 250 mil this summer. If we don't sell i can't see us spending more than 50 next year.
In euros it is;

2022. 250 mil
2021. 150 mil
2020. 80 mil
2019. 250 mil
2018. 80 mil
2017. 200 mil
2016. 200 mil
2015. 150 mil
2014. 200 mil

That is 1,5 billion euros spent in 8 years

Meanwhile we sold players for 450 mil. That is huge gap.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What is going on with the likes of Tuanzebe, Chong, Tengi and Williams? Like, at this point, what sort of careers are they going to have?

croadyman

We really need to start selling players. We spent 250 mil this summer. If we don't sell i can't see us spending more than 50 next year.
In euros it is;

2022. 250 mil
2021. 150 mil
2020. 80 mil
2019. 250 mil
2018. 80 mil
2017. 200 mil
2016. 200 mil
2015. 150 mil
2014. 200 mil

That is 1,5 billion euros spent in 8 years

Meanwhile we sold players for 450 mil. That is huge gap.
Well we know who to blame for this

Dominos

Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, AWB, Williams, Martial were presumably all up for sale at the start of the summer. Have we really failed to bring in a penny for any of them? There's only Martial who has managed to play his way back into contention.

I'm convinced we're being too generous offering these loans rather than insisting on sales, and demanding too high a transfer fee for players we should be pushing out the door. We know the club are utterly incompetent at every other facet of running a football club, I don't see why selling players would be any different.

MegadrivePerson

The problem is that most of the deadwood players here will be on far higher wages than the level of clubs that would be interested in them can afford.

The only positive is that we can play most of these players in the Europa League and allow us to rest the first eleven and focus on winning as many league games as possible.

Even the worst of our backup players are much better than our Europa League group stage opponents will have.

It's all part of a terrible transfer strategy where we've completely overpaid in fees and wages for bang average players.

Hughie77

AWB won't be sold unless ETH can get another right back in. If he goes we got B williams as back up to Dalot, I'd rather get a right back in that's better than Dalot and have him as backup.
Jones is injured apparently so he won't go anywhere again. CB we got Varane ,Martinez, Maguire , Jones, Tuenzabe.. Bially gone on loan with option to buy so he's not coming back imo.
The new guys so far have been solid. Malacia Martinez , Eriksen, . More to come from Casimero and Antony. I'd love a striker in before window closes and a Right back.

Lentwood

The solution is pretty simple really.

The problem is the insane wages we pay our players. We make it difficult for potential buyers to match those wages and this in-turn disincentivizes the player from moving. Instead, they're pretty happy just to sit on the bench picking up their salary every week.

So, when we say a player, we just need to make sure their contract is heavily-performance related. Say we sign a player who is on £50K at their current club...we offer them £50K + a hefty appearance bonus. That way, if the player doesn't play, they're effectively on a 'normal' wage. If they do play, they are handsomely rewarded. Simple.