Have you ever built a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
There is midden evidence of cod bones from Meso sites like Star Carr, showing they have boats capable of deep sea fishing...and therefore increasing the possibility that they travelled to and from the continent. QUOTE]

I've caught cod off the shore in Ireland, no boat involved at all.
I hope there's more evidence than just cod bones.

Cupid Stunt

"In that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a shit h
Wease is right about huge movements of people from Europe to the British Isle's althought its hard to believe it has been proved by the remains of skeletons, the tooth enamel to precise. The enamel of the tooth captures little pockets of water and from the water they can tell which part of the continant they came from due to PH levels or something like that, also the clay in the pottery is different across the continants which leads to further evidance.

iguanamanc

You are making the mistake of doing this in the general, this type of behaviour is tolerated to a certain extent in here. As I said before, if you really want to get banned, either say something really racist and make sure that you mean it (calling Girish a Paki I don't think will work), or go and make a mess of one of the football forums. Munich nasties are the best way, because you will upset so many people.
Or take a positive stance on foxhunting with that nice Elizabeth....

comlag

There is midden evidence of cod bones from Meso sites like Star Carr, showing they have boats capable of deep sea fishing...and therefore increasing the possibility that they travelled to and from the continent. QUOTE]

I've caught cod off the shore in Ireland, no boat involved at all.
I hope there's more evidence than just cod bones.
Well, that site is in East Yorkshire plus I don't believe you. As far as I am aware Cod is a deep sea fish. Anyway, it's accepted that people used boats in the mesolithic...ah just thought of another example: Arran pitchstone found in Scotland.

comlag

Wease is right about huge movements of people from Europe to the British Isle's althought its hard to believe it has been proved by the remains of skeletons, the tooth enamel to precise. The enamel of the tooth captures little pockets of water and from the water they can tell which part of the continant they came from due to PH levels or something like that, also the clay in the pottery is different across the continants which leads to further evidance.
No, Weaste is not right about 'huge' movements at all. It's still a debate but 'huge' is definately not the case.

WeasteDevil

Im saying that language and culture was something that was quite quickly distinctly changed but not by force disease or something
It's interesting then that the Celtic language was lost in England through the force of the Germanics in large numbers, but the "English" culture and language was not removed by the invasion in small numbers by the Normans. You could say that it was diluted, yes, but it's still possible even today to have a conversation using only Germanic words if you try hard enough. Those on the dole in the North of England don't even have to try for the most part.

This, by the way, is a massive debate. A good theoretical read that might interest you is 'Understanding the Neolithic' by Julian Thomas. Makes a case for a sedentary Neolithic population, quite a radical theory at the time which many archaeologists (being stubborn, male,white and middle class as most of them are) refused to give an inch to.
I shall try to get around to reading this, thanks.

solvista

Shawshank redemption
You lot have totally fecked this this thread up with your lah-di-dah meaningful intelligent and captivatingly educational conversation, wankers

comlag

It's interesting then that the Celtic language was lost in England through the force of the Germanics in large numbers, but the "English" culture and language was not removed by the invasion in small numbers by the Normans. You could say that it was diluted, yes, but it's still possible even today to have a conversation using only Germanic words if you try hard enough. Those on the dole in the North of England don't even have to try for the most part.
Yeah those bloody Angles. I suppose you have to take into account population sizes. In the Neolithic we're looking at a population of something like a few thousand and in 1066 it's approaching 6 million so I would say its easier to convert a smaller population who rely on annual/seasonal ritual gatherings to swap stories, beliefs, technologies, daughters etc. Normans walked into a fully fledged kingdom with lords and a basic feudal system already in place. The people were controlled rather than the former sparse utopia of pre-history.

Ugh jesus anyway...

Rudie

Mentary
Can't believe i missed this :lol:

Some absolute cnuts in this thread.

Pathetic, fecking pathetic.

comlag

You lot have totally fecked this this thread up with your lah-di-dah meaningful intelligent and captivatingly educational conversation, wankers
Would you rather us just swap insults? That seems more to your liking.

Here's one for you: Your sister is currently allowing me to spit on her arsehole whilst slapping my cock on the back of her head. She is not liking me sporadically shouting out "Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!"

*If you dont have a sister please think of your cousin or mother.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Here's one for you: Your sister is currently allowing me to spit on her arsehole whilst slapping my cock on the back of her head. She is not liking me sporadically shouting out "Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!"

feckin hell :lol::lol:

solvista

Shawshank redemption

My grandma? Willthat do?.....ok.....thinking........YOU cnut !:lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, that site is in East Yorkshire plus I don't believe you. As far as I am aware Cod is a deep sea fish.
I've caught cod off a beach in the Irish sea too. Probably even more of them the further north you go.

Digging the anthropology lesson, by the way, but those feckers don't seem to know much about fishing. Somebody should fill them in.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Well, that site is in East Yorkshire plus I don't believe you. As far as I am aware Cod is a deep sea fish. Anyway, it's accepted that people used boats in the mesolithic...ah just thought of another example: Arran pitchstone found in Scotland.
if I'm going to make up stories I'd come up with something better than that.

there was a land bridge between Ireland and Scotland at one point (dunno when that was closed off) but travel by boats would have been much easier anyway cos of the terrain and forests.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
if I'm going to make up stories I'd come up with something better than that.

there was a land bridge between Ireland and Scotland at one point (dunno when that was closed off) but travel by boats would have been much easier anyway cos of the terrain and forests.
That's true. And it only disappeared when an anry giant ripped it up, to lob rocks at another angry giant. FACT.

sidsutton

:lol:

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
"In the offseason, my mustache drives the Fir

:lol:

Jacob

I have built a wall, in fact.. I've built a little home.

Hope I didn't wreck the thread.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
i think i might try to build a wall on my weekend off next week

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I've built one or two in my time, just added it up and there's just short of 69,000m² of walls designed and or built by me in the UK with another 150,000m² in the middle east and another 410,000m² built in Asia. Biggest height in one lift is 27m, biggest in tiered walls is 56m while the heaviest loaded one has a six lane highway bridge sat on it.

In fact if you took that area you could build a wall 2 bricks high around the entire coastline of Ireland, I wouldn't have a bloody clue about where to start with the planning permission over there though Baz.

Status
Not open for further replies.