Have your expectations for the season changed after our transfer business?

Negative Red

At the start of the season I thought maybe 6th or 7th, mingling with the likes of Villa and West Ham. 5th is realistic now and I'm happy with our signings..players with some fight. The problem is we're a couple of injuries away from starting McTominay, Maguire or Rashford on a regular basis.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
As the transfer window comes to a close - I don't expect any huge shocks between now and midnight - I actually think Man United's transfers in have been excellent. As I have said before, clever of Erik Ten Hag to lose the first 2 matches - it got a reaction. (Only joking).

Sadly, the most important transfer hasn't happened and it was a transfer-out, I refer of course to Christiano Ronaldo. Ralf Rangnick identified it as a problem back at Christmas time and a plan should have been put into place to deal with that issue. Unfortunately I think the Glazer most involved in the club is a big Ronaldo fan (a bit like how I know who Tom Brady is and 'the fridge' and that's about it). Your greatest ever manager is also a fan, hence him being involved in re-recruiting him 12 months ago (I'd be interested to know what SAF thought about RRs remarks at Xmas by-the-way). So tomorrow it will be squeaky-bum-time for Erik-Ten-Hag once it becomes apparent that Ronaldo isn't just here for 2 weeks but probably the whole season, because he will come under pressure from the owners, from the footballing board and of course from the player himself to have him playing more.*

If he stands up to that pressure I reckon United can finish 3rd or 4th. If he loses the power struggle or indeed if he wins it and Ronaldo starts causing trouble in the dressing room - getting in the heads of Bruno and Dalot, maybe 6th-8th.

*It will be interesting to hear what Ronaldo has in his little book of truths, that will tell us more about how things might play out.

UpWithRivers

Its a weird season with a world cup in the middle of it so anything can happen. We have to start the league well - twice! And we already fkd up the first start. But we have a big squad with lots of quality which should help. Anywhere between 5th and 3rd Id guess depending on how our players start after the world cup.

Canagel

The expectations should be adjusted accordingly. We have spent the most money in Europe and therefore another seeason like last should not be accepted.
4 weeks ago I didnt expect anything higher than top 6 or 7 but under these circumstances we should expect top 4, a good run in at least one of the cups and attacking football by the end of the season.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I would be surprised if we finish top four. Liverpool and Manchester City are definitely better. As to the rest it will depend on the results between us and Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea. The transfer window has probably made us stronger in the first 11 but I'm personally still a bit worried about our depth in certain positions. I hope I'm just being pessimistic but for me it's top 6 this season with a strong run in the Europa League being the minimum expected.

With the amount we've spent I think we are entitled to expect better, but I'm a realist.
City look absolute galaxies better tbh. But I don't think that's all that relevant I suppose as nobody would have expected us to be challenging them no matter what the window brought.

Liverpool will find their feet, though they're not looking quite as imperious as they did a few seasons back.

The arsenal game Sunday is a huge indicator for me. They've started well, but not really played what you'd consider to be tricky games bar Palace away.

Arsenal is a big game for me....more so if we get a win tonight. How we play against them will be a gauge for me on how we look and what our game plan is.

Smores

Just imagine not so long ago being told we'd sign Sancho, Casemiro, a 60 million defender, a 85 million winger, Eriksen.

Then trying to work out why people thought top 4 would be difficult.

Kag

No. I just want us to start looking like a football team with some purpose again. Fewer Brentford’s and more control over matches. Get that right and the league position will work itself out in the end.

We still have huge issues at goalkeeper and up front that will affect Ten Hag’s ability to get this team working how he wants it to.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just imagine not so long ago being told we'd sign Sancho, Casemiro, a 60 million defender, a 85 million winger, Eriksen.

Then trying to work out why people thought top 4 would be difficult.
Just go back to last summer. We came off a season where we finished second, and then signed Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo. Then proceeded to have one of our worst seasons ever in recent memory and finish 6th.

Football, hey.

a 60 million defender, a 85 million winger
Makes sense to give it at least a few weeks to see if the signings are worthy of those price tags. Not like we haven't done it before - I doubt too many people were going into 2019/20 confident of top four after signing an 80 million center back and 50 million right back!

Or the season before that after finishing second and bringing in a 50 million Brazilian midfielder :wenger:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We will be exposed at RB and one midfield injury away from having to field the doofus twins again. Add to that we have zero strikers capable of scoring consistently. So yes my opinion of our window has not changed. And we didn't get rid of players such as Maguire who will again stink up the place sooner or later when they get chances through injury/suspension.

wangyu

I expect a title challenge which I expect each season from one of the top 3 most followed clubs in world football.
I also expect the players and coaches to think the same about it…

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
No. I just want us to start looking like a football team with some purpose again. Fewer Brentford’s and more control over matches. Get that right and the league position will work itself out in the end.

We still have huge issues at goalkeeper and up front that will affect Ten Hag’s ability to get this team working how he wants it to.
Not a fan of Dubravka? The man who taught Alisson and Ederson all they know

Allegedly

GMoore23

100%

I'm expecting top 4 as a minimum now and think top 2/3 may even be possible. Our rivals looking poor has been a big boost also.

RORY65

My hope was that we would be more enjoyable to watch and a team who actually looked like they've done stuff in training all week and it's obviously too early to tell on those points.

Before the recent additions I thought we were adrift of the other 5 members of the "big 6", not that it will be close between those 5 but I felt like we were detached from even Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea and were instead trying to fend off the teams below us but now I think we're closer although probably 6th is still the most likely finishing position.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
At the start of the season I thought 5th or 6th was most likely. Then after our opening games my expectations changed to 6th as an absolute maximum. Now it's back up to 5th or 6th being most likely. So basically no real change in expectations overall.

The real issue is time. It's a very compressed season and we have a hell of a lot of problems to coach out of this side while trying to pick up points on the fly. Meanwhile our rivals for fourth have all had their managers bedded in months and years longer than us. That along with the fact there are still some glaring issues in the starting eleven will cost us top four, I think.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A quick look at the bookies' odds suggests they have us as 6th most likely to finish in the top four at around 3/1? Don't see much cause to disagree with that. The implied probability of around a 25% chance of a top four finish seems about right to me.

Last edited:

Westerkerk

Before the season started my expectations were set firmly on Top 4 as a minimum - that we should at least look like we are fighting for that as if we actually care

Once the season started, I downgraded them to just looking like a team...

I'm now in full muppet mode and wondering if we can finish strong top 4 and potentially win a domestic cup and/or the Europa :houllier:

Crazy times these...

Flying high

Now it's anywhere from 3rd to 8th. My guess is 5th.

Before the last few signings I thought the best we could get was 6th and it could have got a lot worse. Now I think we have enough new blood in the squad that I don't fear a total collapse quite as much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We can get top 4, but a lot will depend on the squad adapting to the manager. We're furthest behind in our cycle compared to the others. Arsenal are looking very good, who knows if they can keep it up but currently they look dominant. Spurs will be very good as well. Chelsea look like they will have a tough year. City will win the title and Liverpool will probably be 2nd. If I had to put money down on standings, I'd say:
  1. City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Arsenal
  4. Spurs
  5. United
  6. Chelsea
United will have teething issues between the manager and the league, the squad and each other, the squad and the manager... Its about seeing enough to know you will improve in time.

I expect a good showing in the cups and still feel like the Europa League is a safer route to CL football this year. Top 4 has tons of competition this year.

Also to answer - no it doesn't change. This was basically like what I expected from us in the window - it just took a while to get here (and more money but doesn't matter). Doing less than this would've been a travesty and setting Ten Hag up for failure. Now he can at least do his thing and implement the first part of his system and do his rebuild.

Last edited:

hobbers

It's incredible that we've still got AWB, Williams, Tuanzebe and Jones still all stinking up the squad list.

So bad at shifting deadwood.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Just go back to last summer. We came off a season where we finished second, and then signed Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo. Then proceeded to have one of our worst seasons ever in recent memory and finish 6th.

Football, hey.
And yet there are still some people sticking up for Ronaldo - criticising Ralf Rangnick for wanting rid etc. etc. when it is quite clear that CR7 billhooksed up last season, big time. Both on and off the field. OGS should have been more assertive when the possibility of his return was put forward and in the immortal words of Zammo, just said No.

Plus, unless there is a big shock in the next few hours the problem player remains. Will he do a Cavani and ring-in sick at every opportunity to show his displeasure with how he has been treated? I doubt it - he is going to be causing issues at every opportunity. Lucky you seem to have a strong manager in ETH.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Very hard to predict. But yes, of course loosening the purse strings has increased expectations. From top 8 to top 3 for me. My eyes will be on Liverpool. Weakened a bit; Sane gone etc. The City sports washer franchise don’t count (Neither do Bone Saw Toon) … so there’s a lot to look forward to. Very impressed with Ten Hag so far, his biggest challenge? Making Rashford contribute consistently in a TEAM sense.

AlPistacho

All I can say is that the past performances, beating Liverpool with no clear MOTM, and beating Southampton with a very solid defensive display in addition to the new signings have made me look forward to the season and look forward to watching United play. No longer a choir, who knows maybe in a few weeks that might wear off but for now I’m excited and hopefully in a few weeks things will progress where I can say ok this team should be able to do this that and the other

caid

Not particularly. Gone from top half of the table mixing with West Ham to a more convincing 5th place finish just ahead of West Ham. The gap to top 4 has shrank a bit and the likelihood of a total meltdown with half the squad throwing their toys out of the pram is reduced by a good margin. I can imagine enjoying the season somewhat now.

Member 125398

Yes, sort of. We're good enough to get 2nd if things go our way. Apart from City and maybe Spurs, everyone else has similar deficiencies in their squads. I don't necessarily expect us to get 2nd as there's huge potential for us to go on a bad run although you'd hope there's enough character in the team to dig out results now. It's more important that we finish strongly after the World Cup, as you'd expect everyone to be familiar with the new tactics and structure.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think they have. Before the season, I was keen to see some progress in our “togetherness”, remove deadwood, and start to see progress in our overall operations, playing staff, and how we play. I wasn’t really that focussed on outcome in Y1, just that we set foundations.

In many ways, that’s still what I am most after. But with our outlay, and my general optimism on who we’ve signed and the type of player and what they are bringing, I do think we should be getting to the business end of the Europa league. And be challenging for top 4.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Not really.
I expect City to win, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea for top 4, spurs above us.
Top 4 is a possibility, but not something I'll have expectations for with Ronaldo/Martial as our striker options and Dalot as our right-back. And that's if all the transfers done actually work out.

68cob

I see more fire and togetherness in defence at the minute, but that could quickly change. I also imagine Casemiro will be a very positive influence in midfield, which I hope will bring out the best in Bruno. Bruno's resulting improvement will in turn encourage the whole team to push on abbove what we've had in recent times. I can but dream.

Member 125398

Not really.
I expect City to win, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea for top 4, spurs above us.
Top 4 is a possibility, but not something I'll have expectations for with Ronaldo/Martial as our striker options and Dalot as our right-back. And that's if all the transfers done actually work out.
Goals are a bit of a worry but I think we can set up for a good few scrappy, unconvincing 1-0/2-1's

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Goals are a bit of a worry but I think we can set up for a good few scrappy, unconvincing 1-0/2-1's
Can absolutely see us do well, I just don't expect it as I've grown pessimistic over the years. Pessimistic, but not without any hope.

fps

I’m hopeful the signings will work out in their own right, and also raise the standards and performances of others. So I’m now hopeful of top four, when before these signings there was no chance.

Glorio

Both CF options have massive question marks. Martial's injury record is massively concerning, and wantaway Ronaldo can't run and can't hold up the ball. Going into the season without a dependable CF, I don't care if they're average, is irresponsible.

We've tried Rashford there and I think it's plain to see he's not a CF. I just hope Martial's body copes

Ceteris

Not buying a striker will come bite our behind at some point in the season, we signed some good players should have finished it off properly with a striker

rabnub

I expect a title challenge which I expect each season from one of the top 3 most followed clubs in world football.
I also expect the players and coaches to think the same about it…
Numbers of followers doesn't equate to success and given the situation the squad was in not too long ago you are bing downright unrealistic.

It has improved but a long season ahead. Top 4 would be the best we can achieve and that's counting on a lot to go well

mav_9me

No. I still think 4 squads are better than us, City, Liverpool, Arsenal (first team) and Spurs. Chelsea have similar issues as us, lack of striker. Also they have a head start in terms of how long their managers have been there, how much of the squad is theirs. While we are just starting our rebuild.

But yes my expectation has changed, I was dreading the season. But Casemiro and Antony are huge additions.

If we got FDJ too, I'd want to be in top 4 race but I don't see it now esp with no new striker either.

Hammondo

Why? Top 4 should be bare minimum add in the 200m we've spent then i think that would be more than reasonable especially with how bad some of are competition look (i know how early we are into the season)
We have a big hole in midfield in the most important position. We failed to get our target for that.

Hammondo

Not a lot. Europa League places instead of Europa Conference League

Still a world class CM short, and Dalot will cost Manchester United a lot of points. A right back was absolutely essential. Would have been my first signing
Agreed. Also if we get any injuries basically anywhere and it hits is hard.

wangyu

@rabnub

Yes it is unrealistic but nevertheless it should be the absolute minimum for a team with lets be real almost unlimited financial strength.
Nobody expected Leicester to win the league but they did, same for Montpellier or further back Kaiserslautern in 1998 (as a newly promoted side nontheless)

The last 8 years have been an absolute disgrace for a club our magnitude. AC Milan went through the same shit but they had a perfectly reasonable excuse which is limited financial power. Even without that financial muscle they got their act together faster than utd has. So yes I set the bar very very high with good solid reasoning.