Height-based all time xi's: who do you fancy?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So, no offence intended: these are just height classifications as agreed upon elsewhere on the caf.

Put these sides in order of who believe the strongest to the weakest is:

Short - Team Tiny Terrors: 169cm or less 5'6.9" and below (anything less than 5'7" 170cm)

Old Average - Bang Average: 177cm or less 5'9.9" and below (anything less than 5'10" 178cm)

New Average - What Tall Used To Be: 185cm or less 6'1.9" and below (anything less than 6'2" 185cm)

Tall - Long Ting: 191cm or less 6'3.9" and below (anything less than 6'3" 191cm)

NBA - : 194cm+ 6'4"+ and above (anything more than 6'4" 194cm)

Right, so as you can see, this team is incomplete, even though I've heard the ?????? twins are fantastic down the left flank! In all seriousness, rather than put dross in, I'd rather leave it blank and see if anyone on the caf can think of two one 6'4"+ players of quality who can be slotted into the team.

Anyway, what I like about these sides is the general favoured players are split up and there are pros and cons to some aspects. Feel free to make your own sides in the all-time aspect, but what I wanted to challenge you to is a similar set of restrictive constructs for the modern era, say, since the '90's, if you want. Granted, tiny CB's and keepers are not seen anymore, so creative leeway is a given there, but try and make 4 teams within the remit, or any one side if you'd prefer.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Tall team is the most complete.

Would also get the most matches on tinder.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The absences of Yashin and Zidane bother me more than it should. Also Beckenbauer as a CB and Falcao in Midfield. It's an excellent idea though, well done.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As a genuine team that would hypothetically play together on a pitch, rather than a collection of Galáctico individuals that had disparate ideas of football, New Average should take this, IMO, as it is the most structurally coherent and the most suited to a well-defined system — with a few proven/complementary partnerships and no glaring weak spots.

Supercharged totaalvoetbal, basically...

+
• Only 3 ultra-dominant players (one for each sector), so the risk of ego-clash/fallout is minimized...
Cruyff influencing the attacking organisation
Figueroa the marshal of defense
Beckenbauer influencing the midfield organisation
• Robust central zones and equally solid flanks
• Good workrate/ethos in a collective sense *

-
• Cruyff and Beckenbauer sometimes operated at slightly different rhythms
• Apart from maybe Ronaldo *

P.S.
Coin toss between Fußballgott and Falcão. The latter was more illustrious and technically gifted, but the former would probably be better for Kaiser and the midfield mechanics/balance.
Also tempted to go with the trinity of Stoichkov-Cruyff-Rummenigge, but Fenômeno proved to be way too seductive.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@JPRouve Yeah, I just thought it was sacrilegious to leave Di Stefano out, but then I left Zico out of another team and also Muller, so it really was something that played on my mind. Falcao being omitted is also an issue, no doubt. These sides are difficult for whom you omit as much as who you include when the pool is that rich and full of legends.

The NBA side seems impossible to complete, but I'd at least like them to have a team that's not crap.

Agree with the sentiment of what @Invictus constructed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Zagadou could probably go in the giant team. He’s 6’5 and plays LB for Dortmund sometimes. Tammy Abraham over Haangeland (the Fulham CB upfront?)

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Maybe move Hangeland to the defence of the tall team and stick in Crouch as a striker?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Koulibaly is not 195. Fake stat. He is around 186-187.
Yep, the old FIFA stats are erroneous. Maksimović is ~192 cm and Meret is ~191 cm — they're comfortably the tallest Napoli players in this lineup (without standing on their tip-toes)...
Anyway, Rune Bratseth for one of the ultra tall CB spots, I think. One of the best centerbacks of the greatest era of centerbacks, three times in the Bundesliga Team of the Season, and twice in the Ballon D'Or Top 20 in his peak.
https://www.transfermarkt.us/rune-bratseth/profil/spieler/13804

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Sun Jihai was the first name came across my mind when I read the tittle... :lol:

Btw, the tallest GK I can remember is a Wolfburg GK in 90s or early '00s. Simon Jentzh or something.

Edit: It's Simon Jentzsch, he is actually not 200+ cm as I remember before (196 cm - wiki).

Costel Pantilimon maybe taller than him. Both avarage GKs though.

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The stats are really not trust worthy though. How is Hazard 1,75 m? I saw a picture of him with Doncic and he looked like an infant.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yep, the old FIFA stats are erroneous. Maksimović is ~192 cm and Meret is ~191 cm — they're comfortably the tallest Napoli players in this lineup (without standing on their tip-toes)...

Anyway, Rune Bratseth for one of the ultra tall CB spots, I think. One of the best centerbacks of the greatest era of centerbacks, three times in the Bundesliga Team of the Season, and twice in the Ballon D'Or Top 20 in his peak.

I perfectly remember Brathseth and I even saw him live against Benfica. He's one of the most elegant CBs I've seen in a football pitch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The stats are really not trust worthy though. How is Hazard 1,75 m? I saw a picture of him with Doncic and he looked like an infant.
Probably because Doncic is 2.01m.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Jan Koller, Luca Toni or John Carew instead of Hangeland in the giants team?
Maybe move Hangeland to the defence of the tall team and stick in Crouch as a striker?
Sorry, total brainfart as I had meant Haaland when actually inputting a completely different name. D'oh!

Might have to add one of the above if a good, overly tall midfielder can't be found, mind.
Buffon is not 6ft4.
Just to remove the element of doubt, I've replaced him with VDS. What height is Buffon from wherever you're getting the source, btw?

I've switched to a back 3 as I don't think there's such a thing as a top quality 6'4" LB in the sport to date. Bratseth added.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've switched to a back 3 as I don't think there's such a thing as a top quality 6'4" LB in the sport to date. Bratseth added.
Can't find an accurate height for Ivica Surjak, but he can't be too far off (top right):

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Sorry, total brainfart as I had meant Haaland when actually inputting a completely different name. D'oh!

Might have to add one of the above if a good, overly tall midfielder can't be found, mind.

Just to remove the element of doubt, I've replaced him with VDS. What height is Buffon from wherever you're getting the source, btw?

Josip Joe Šimunić, ex croatian national team player (100+ caps) is 195 cm tall. He's primarly CB but has covered LB position for national team as well as Hertha during his career.

Reactions: Fortitude

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can't find an accurate height for Ivica Surjak, but he can't be too far off (top right):

Hehe. I've already sorta snuck Socrates in, who was just under the bar, may well be doing the same with Surjak (had him as 1.9m), as hes actually left-sided, great shout.

If there's no bona fide 6'4", I've Wilkes or Yaya to 'Socrates' in, if not Surjak; the final team would be something else entirely if the cut off was 6'3", but then, none of the guys there now would get a look in, which wouldn't be right, I think. Dunno.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Using wikipedia, transfermarkt and Pes Miti Del Calcio in that order to determine player heights, my squads are as follows:

192cm+ (5-3-2)

GK - Manuel Neuer
SW - Rune Bratseth
RB - Jerome Boateng
CB - Laurent Blanc
CB - Virgil van Dijk
LB - William Martinez
CM - Nemanja Matic
CM - Patrick Vieira
AM - Socrates
ST - Zlatan Ibrahimovic
ST - Nwankwo Kanu

Substitutes: Gianluigi Buffon, Mats Hummels, Gerard Pique, Marouane Fellaini, Steven Nzonzi, Edin Dzeko, Olivier Giroud

Other Options: Edwin van der Sar, Terry Butcher, Jerzy Gorgon, Gary Pallister, Sami Hyypia, Carsten Jancker, Jan Koller

186-191cm (5-2-3)

GK - Lev Yashin
SW - Elias Figueroa
RWB - Paolo Maldini
CB - Jurgen Kohler
CB - Alessandro Nesta
LWB - Giancinto Facchetti
CM - Frank Rijkaard
CM - Fernando Redondo
RIF - Ruud Gullit
ST - Marco van Basten
LIF - Cristiano Ronaldo

Substitutes: Peter Schmeichel, Maxime Bossis, Fernando Hierro, Stefan Effenberg, Rivaldo, John Charles, Thierry Henry

Other Options: Oliver Kahn, Gheorghe Popescu, Manfred Kaltz Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Diego Godin, Tommy Gemmell, Sergio Busquets, Juan Sebastian Veron, Antonio Rattin, Thomas Muller, Gabriel Batistuta

178-185cm (3-4-3 Midfield Diamond used by 1995 Ajax)

GK - Iker Casillas
RCB - Lilian Thuram
SW - Gaetano Scirea
LCB - Ruud Krol
DM - Marcel Desailly
RCM - Franz Beckenbauer
LCM - Johan Neeskens
AM - Johan Cruyff
RW - Luis Figo
ST - Ronaldo
LW - Hristo Stoichkov

Substitutes: Gordon Banks, Giuseppe Bergomi, Nilton Santos, Valery Voronin, Paulo Roberto Falcao, Michel Platini, Oleg Blokhin

Other Options: Dino Zoff, Sepp Maier, Matthias Sammer, Ronald Koeman, Albert Shesternyov, Eric Gerets, Carlos Alberto Torres, Sergio Ramos, Jose Leandro Andrade, Javier Zanetti, Neil Franklin, Bobby Moore, Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck, Pietro Vierchowod, Barry Hulshoff, Jose Nasazzi, Jan Popluhar, Paul McGrath, Antonio Cabrini, Anatoliy Demyanenko, Nestor Goncalves, Marco Tardelli, Graeme Souness, Obdulio Varela, David Beckham, Kevin De Bruyne, Julio Abbadie, Duncan Edwards, Ernst Ocwirk, Roy Keane, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Rainer Bonhof, Bernd Schuster, Gunter Netzer, Nils Liedholm, Arjen Robben, Zbigniew Boniek, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Jose Manuel Moreno, Zinedine Zidane, Michael Laudrup, Sandro Mazzola, Ryan Giggs, Jupp Heynckes, Ronaldinho, Hristo Stoichkov, Silvio Piola, Luigi Riva, Gunnar Nordahl, Alberto Spencer, Luis Suarez, Samuel Eto'o, Enzo Francescoli, Mario Kempes

170-177cm (4-3-3)

GK - Viliam Schrojf
RB - Cafu
CB - Franco Baresi
CB - Fabio Cannavaro
LB - Andreas Brehme
DM - Lothar Matthaus
CM - Jozsef Bozsik
CM - Alfredo Di Stefano
RIF - Lionel Messi
F9 - Pele
LIF - Ferenc Puskas

Substitutes: Giampiero Combi, Dani Alves, Daniel Passarella, Claude Makelele, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Eusebio

Other Options: Rene Higuita, Djalma Santos, Philipp Lahm, Manuel Amoros, Revaz Dzodzuashvili, Tarcisio Burgnich, Roberto Rosato, Hector Chumpitaz, Rafael Albrecht, Billy Wright, Claudio Gentile, Branko Zebec, Silvio Marzolini, Ashley Cole, Jordi Alba, Patrice Evra, Marcelo, Denis Irwin, Junior, Andrea Pirlo, Dunga, Mauro Silva, Didier Deschamps, Javier Mascherano, Gennaro Gattuso, Roberto Donadoni, Gaizka Mendieta, Didi, Josef Masopust, Clarence Seedorf, Mario Coluna, Danny Blanchflower, Luka Modric, Dave Mackay, Uli Stielike, Paul Breitner, Gheorghe Hagi, Wolfgang Overath, Luis Suarez Miramontes, Giacomo Bulgarelli, Pavel Nedved, Stanley Matthews, Amancio Amario, Grzegorz Lato, Kurt Hamrin, Jairzinho, Laszlo Kuabla, Adolfo Pedernera, Juan Alberto Schiaffino, Gianni Rivera, Bobby Charlton, Zico, Matthias Sindelar, Francisco Gento, Dragan Dzajic, Juan Joya, Franck Ribery, Tom Finney, George Best, Angel Labruna, Ademir, Jimmy Greaves, Sandor Kocsis, Gerd Muller, David Villa, Denis Law, Hugo Sanchez, Roberto Baggio, Wayne Rooney

0-169cm (4-2-3-1)

GK - Jorge Campos
RB - Victor Rodriguez Andrade
CB - Berti Vogts
CB - Renzo De Vecchi
LB - Roberto Carlos
CM - Jean Tigana
CM - Luis Monti
RW - Garrincha
AM - Diego Maradona
LW - Roberto Rivellino
ST - Romario

Substitutes: Nobby Stiles, Bixente Lizarazu, Ricardo Pavoni, Edgar Davids, Paul Scholes, Ricardo Bochini, Uwe Seeler

Other Options: Omar Caetano, Tony Dunne, Billy Bremner, Zlatko Cajkovski, N'golo Kante, Mario Zagallo, Jimmy Johnstone, Allan Simonsen, Raymond Kopa, Zizinho, Giuseppe Meazza, Zoltan Czibor, Gianfranco Zola, Hughie Gallacher, Omar Sivori

Reactions: Fortitude

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Buffon's 190.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Hazard is not 175cm. I met him once and I am 172cm and he was either the same height or shorter. So, either I am under selling myself or his stats aren't right.