Henman v Sanchez

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Tim Henman opened his 2004 season with a comfortable straight-sets victory over David Sanchez at the Qatar Open in Doha.

The British No.1 began his preparations for the Australian Open, which is just two weeks away, where he had left off at the end of last season following his victory at the Paris Masters.

In his first ever meeting with the 25-year-old Spaniard, Henman broke early on to move 3-1 ahead before taking the first set 6-4.

He then wrapped up a quick-fire second set 6-0 to ease into the second round.

Henman struggled for form early last season after recovering from a shoulder injury, but looked in fine form as he bids to reach the final of the Doha event for the third time.

World number six Rainer Schuttler of Germany suffered a surprise first-round exit, going down to Russia's Mikhail Youzhny 6-3 7-6 in just under two hours.

Second-seeded Schuttler, who won the tournament as a qualifier in 1999, was broken twice by the Russian in the opening set and then failed to take advantage of a 4-0 lead in the second set tie-break.

"I wasn't aggressive enough," said the German, who plays doubles with Youzhny. "I just can't explain why I couldn't finish off the second set after I led 4-0 in the tie-break.

"I think I made the mistake of taking the match a bit easy."

Youznhy, who won the deciding rubber for Russia to clinch the 2002 Davis Cup final against France, was delighted the match did not go into a third set.

"I was hurt in the second set when I was leading 4-2," he said. "I had pain on the hamstring on my left leg.

"I don't think I would have lasted if the match had gone to the third set."

In other first-round matches, Sargis Sargsian of Armenia beat Frenchman Gregory Carraz 3-6 6-0 6-3 and Bohdan Ulihrach of Czech Republic crushed Germany's Nicolas Keifer 6-2 6-1.

Hicham Arazi beat Thomas Enqvist in a tight match - 7-6 (7-1), 2-6, 6-2 and Ivo Heuberger beat Sultan Khalfan 6-2, 6-2. World number one Andy Roddick of the United States is the tournament's top seed.

MelvinYeo

Linaw50 said:
I have a feeling that this might be Henman's year.
Every year there will be high expectations for him and he falls short everytime

Linaw50

I know, but he seems to be believing he can do it more now, esp since winning Paris Masters and now getting a good start in Doha. Have to say that it would be a miracle if he did win Wimbledon but he proved last year he could beat Roddick and Federer. :cool:

MelvinYeo

Nah,don't seriously see him as a contender for the Grand Slams

MelvinYeo

Can't really see him beat the big guns,Federer,Roddick,Ferrero etc.

No chance IMO

MelvinYeo

None of the victories were at Grand Slams were they?

MelvinYeo

Fancy Federer to be no.1 at the end of the year

Linaw50

Me neither, he looks a bit of a prat to me, but he's a good tennis player.

MelvinYeo

British No.1 Tim Henman cruised into the third round of the Qatar Exxon Mobil Open with a 6-3 6-4 victory over Argentinian Juan Ignacio Chela.

Henman, whose career is enjoying an Indian summer following his Paris Masters victory in November, had little trouble brushing past Chela.

"It has been a good start for the year," said the 1999 finalist. "I have good memories about this place.

"I think I played my best tennis in the second set. I could have made it a little easier, but I missed a few shots."

Henman will face Sargis Sargsian in the last eight on Thursday after the Armenian beat Russia's Mikhail Youzhny 3-6 6-3 6-2.

Linaw50

laura said:
Hey du wo ist meine Antwort?
Sprechen Sie deutsch?

Henman won again today didn't he? Am not even going to try and attempt to spell the name of his apponent though.