Henman wins Paris Masters

Linaw50

"Henman claims Paris title

Henman has moved back into the world's top 20
Tim Henman beat Andrei Pavel in straight sets to claim the biggest title of his career at the Paris Masters.
Henman came through 6-2 7-6 7-6 against the unseeded Romanian.

It is the first time the British number one has won a Masters Series event - the biggest outside the four Grand Slams.

Victory moves Henman up to 13th in the world, reversing his slide down the rankings after injury.

Henman came into the final in confident mood after successive wins over Sebastien Grosjean, Gustavo Kuerten, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.

Gamewatch: Henman v Pavel
Pavel was a different prospect, having been sidelined for the first half of the season with a back injury and with only three victories all year.

The danger for Henman was that he would fail to repeat the form shown against the world's best players against such an unexpected opponent.

That notion was dispelled when he broke in the fifth and seventh games to take the first set, and it was the same story in the first game of the second set.

But with the match seemingly under control, a nervous Henman almost threw his advantage away.

He failed to serve out at 5-4 and then wasted two set points at 6-4 in the tie-break, before breaking again in a tense exchange at the net and converting at the third opportunity.

Pavel looked marginally the better player in the third set but neither man could make the breakthrough.

It came down to another tie-break and Henman again proved the stronger when the pressure was really on, breaking early and holding on for a superb win."

That's a big achievement for him - beating Roddick and Federer - and then to win the title aswell! V good.

Jacqueline_S

Banned Jackie Chan lookalike
first set was brilliant, starting from the second set made me nervous... 7-6 and another 7-6....oops.....
:nervous:

anyway, congrads. TIM HENMAN..

Linaw50

I couldn't see any of it but I've heard about it a lot on the radio. Roddick and Federer matches would have been so cool to see - I don't know how Tim managed to beat Roddick on tie breaks though - v. odd, but v. good!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The only way Henman could have beaten either of those two was if they were not particularly bothered, tired, injured etc etc

This will be Henman's big win, his one and only.

Linaw50

Posted by Dans
This will be Henman's big win, his one and only.

We don't know that - especially since he's been injured pretty much all year and recently sacked his coach - this may have been the turning point he needed to spur him on to greater things....or maybe not.

Stick

Jasus he won something. Why are there no good Irish tennis players??

Linaw50

Posted by Stick
Jasus he won something. Why are there no good Irish tennis players??
I have no idea - haven't really thought about it - come to think of it I can't even name an Irish player!
There's only two (reasonably) good English ones (Henman and Rusedski)