High tension cable kills 30 football fan watching United V Anderlecht

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
High tension cable kills 30 football fans in Calabar
By Ameh Comrade Godwin on April 21, 2017@dailypostngr

No fewer than 30 people lost their lives in Calabar, the Cross River State capital on Thursday night after a high tension cable fell on them at a football viewing centre.

The football fans were said to have assembled at the centre to watch a UEFA Europa League quarter-final match when the incident happened.

According to reports by Channels TV, the electricity cable broke and fell on the football fans who had gathered at the centre to watch a UEFA Europa League quarter-final match between Manchester United and Anderlecht.

Speaking with newsmen after the incident, a survivor said a transformer near the viewing centre located in the Iyang-Esu area of Calabar municipal local government area, exploded during the match.

He said this caused a high-tension cable to drop on the viewing centre.
“It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht. I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening,” he was quoted as saying.

“When I turned back to go inside the viewing centre, I saw a cable coming down on the centre and this electrocuted the viewers in the hall.

“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centres. I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”

Meanwhile, when DAILY POST reporter contacted the Cross River State Police Public Relations Officer, Ms Irene Ugbo for comment, her number was switched off. :rolleyes:

http://dailypost.ng/2017/04/21/high-tension-cable-kills-30-football-fans-calabar/

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
feck 30 of our fellow United fans and other fans gone

Hope we hear more of the follow up

Abizzz

:(:(:(

Accidents like that really shouldn't happen. 30 mourning families because of 1 faulty cable :(.

chicha14

High tension cable kills 30 football fans in Calabar
By Ameh Comrade Godwin on April 21, 2017@dailypostngr

No fewer than 30 people lost their lives in Calabar, the Cross River State capital on Thursday night after a high tension cable fell on them at a football viewing centre.

The football fans were said to have assembled at the centre to watch a UEFA Europa League quarter-final match when the incident happened.

According to reports by Channels TV, the electricity cable broke and fell on the football fans who had gathered at the centre to watch a UEFA Europa League quarter-final match between Manchester United and Anderlecht.

Speaking with newsmen after the incident, a survivor said a transformer near the viewing centre located in the Iyang-Esu area of Calabar municipal local government area, exploded during the match.

He said this caused a high-tension cable to drop on the viewing centre.
“It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht. I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening,” he was quoted as saying.

“When I turned back to go inside the viewing centre, I saw a cable coming down on the centre and this electrocuted the viewers in the hall.

“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centres. I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”

Meanwhile, when DAILY POST reporter contacted the Cross River State Police Public Relations Officer, Ms Irene Ugbo for comment, her number was switched off. :rolleyes:

http://dailypost.ng/2017/04/21/high-tension-cable-kills-30-football-fans-calabar/
Africa mate :wenger:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Shocking news. But people getting killed by faulty cables is quite common in Nigeria. The power holding company (PHCN) often takes centuries to get them fixed.

Green_Red

Shocking news. But people getting killed by faulty cables is quite common in Nigeria. The power holding company (PHCN) often takes centuries to get them fixed.
Centuries? How old do you think electricity is?

witchtrials

Horrible news. So saddening and enraging that so many United fans (and, you know, people) should die so senselessly.

And by the way, I'm sure that people don't mean any harm by it but I really don't think this thread is a suitable place for laughing emojis and the like.

Manny

Grammar Police
And by the way, I'm sure that people don't mean any harm by it but I really don't think this thread is a suitable place for laughing emojis and the like.
Hear, hear. Odd seeing them considering at least 30 fans have just died watching United.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is horrible news. Maybe we should have something in the United forum since I think a few people might miss it here?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Horrible news. So saddening and enraging that so many United fans (and, you know, people) should die so senselessly.

Yes, I agree with you on the levity. May all the victims rest in peace.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Very sad news. Those type of venues look like really fun places to watch football in from what I've seen, I hope the one in question and others get safer in future.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I've watched many games in those kinds of viewing centers. You'd never think something like this could happen.

RIP.
Same. Anytime I go back home, I always prefer watching the games there even though I can watch them at home. The atmosphere and banter is always great. Sad news.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Same. Anytime I go back home, I always prefer watching the games there even though I can watch them at home. The atmosphere and banter is always great. Sad news.
Aye. Always had interesting characters in there with their reactions to a goal or stupid pass. Plus the beer and suya (roasted meat on skewers) :drool:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Watching football with classmates and later friends from Nigeria at my university was my first real exposure to soccer, and African culture in general. They're really what got me hooked on Manchester United. It was good times.

Blessings.

vidic blood & sand

Bloody hell. A power cable crashes though the roof and electrocutes people watching football in Africa? How can this happen?
With all the problems we have in the UK, we have a lot to be grateful for. That would never happen here.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Bloody hell. A power cable crashes though the roof and electrocutes people watching football in Africa? How can this happen?
With all the problems we have in the UK, we have a lot to be grateful for. That would never happen here.
Kind of puts my first world problem of "The fcuking stream died and I now have to find another" into perspective.