Higuain´s foul against Neuer

rnuqqet

Argentinians being biased and crying about the referees. What else is new?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Actually a lot of the comments to that article are mostly sensible argentinians saying not to cry over at best a polemic decision. Fair play to them, in the bottom of their hearts they know they got to the final thanks to the easy fixtures they got.

rnuqqet

Look, I just dislike you as a sports nation since the stuff your players pulled after the 2006 quarter final. Don't ask me to provide evidence. :)

I did read a Newspaper headline whining about not getting a penalty for Higuain, but ignoring the incidents with Kramer, multiple incidents with Schweinsteiger, etc.

rnuqqet

I'm sorry for generalizing, marcosdeto. The internet just makes me angry. :lol:

mcmighty

Can anyone give me an example of a keeper winning the ball and being sent off for the collision that followed?

I believe it should be a foul but rightly or wrongly a foul is never given.

It would have been an outrageous decision to send a player off in the WC final for something that keepers get away with every week.

On the other hand, think of the outrage if the Liverpool keeper did that to Rooney.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
But was the goalkeeper in control of his whole body at all times? No he wasn't
Therein lies the fundamental difference. Keepers, by definition, will regularly have both feet off the ground and not be in control of their body at all times. Unless they are into flapping, them being decisive can be construed as using excessive force as well.

Of course the treatment is different, there are twenty players on the pitch who can't use their hands and two that can, that completely changes how they go about things and what they are expected to do or not to do with their bodies.

DDD

Wrong decision to give Germany the freekick but thats about it, both are going for the Ball and Neuer jumps in like a good GK should

Momochiru

Is it true that dangerous play can only be called if there is no contact between the players?
Yes, this quote is from FIFA's site:

Playing in a dangerous manner

Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while
trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player
himself). It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent
from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that, in the opinion of the
referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the
players.
If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable
with a direct free kick or penalty kick. In the case of physical contact, the
referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also
been committed.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Any time I read through the rules I appreciate refs more. To know all of them and be able to make the correct decision and apply it in the heat of a game is very difficult.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

Agreed. I mean.....look at this unheard of incident.. looks like Shilton has just tried to punch Maradona's fecking head off. Still photos(especially from a carefully chosen angle which exaggerates the danger of the challenge) are pointless.
Maradona: See I told you it was self-defense, your honour. I had no choice, but to use my hand, otherwise he´d taken my head off.

queridiculo

Longtime lurker, but as a former goalie I cannot believe this one is even up for debate.

Higuain knew Neuer was on his way to make a play on the ball. He looked at Neuer twice, misjudged the ball, and made contact with the keeper after Neuer parried the ball. If there's anybody that played in a dangerous manner it's Higuain, risking injury to himself and the goalie.

Eugenius

Just no!

As has been said before, try and jump without raising a knee, whilst running.

You're not a pogo stick, man.
:houllier: You obviously can't jump without raising your knees but who the feck jumps like this normally? He's not gaining any extra height/leverage from his right knee being there. It's purely to protect his body from Higuain.

Higuin is never ever getting that ball

Yeah luckily Neuer didn't actually do that.
Umm he did, see above. He luckily didn't catch Higuain flush in the temple as his shoulder took most of the hit, but that's not any detailed calculation on Neuer's behalf.

Duafc

Village Lemon
:houllier: You obviously can't jump without raising your knees but who the feck jumps like this normally? He's not gaining any extra height/leverage from his right knee being there. It's purely to protect his body from Higuain.

Umm he did, see above. He luckily didn't catch Higuain flush in the temple as his shoulder took most of the hit, but that's not any detailed calculation on Neuer's behalf.

Nah your leading knee would naturally follow your leading arm.

Keepers can clean out strikers if they take the ball and it's not two footed/elbow.

Stop trying to neuter the game.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Why do people still insist on using still images? Yes that looks bad but the knee never hits Higuain, its the side of Neuers leg which makes a huge difference.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Any time I read through the rules I appreciate refs more. To know all of them and be able to make the correct decision and apply it in the heat of a game is very difficult.
You're right about that. A friend made a ref licence when we were youngsters and he kept teasing me to define offside in one sentence. Needless to say I never got it right. We all still know when it's offside, though. No need to define it... fecksake. :P

Reactions: Marcosdeto

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
get over it

worse things happened since then
He, the act itself is not the reason why it gets digged out every now and then. It's the fecking balls to make claims that god helped him... that's blasphemy if nothing else. :)

Reactions: Marcosdeto

gabriel_007

I disagree with many of those individuals who state that Neuer should have been red carded and/or a penalty should have been given. I agree with referee Ricolas Rizzoli's ruling that Higuain was at fault and that no penalty/free kick was given in favor of Argentina. Under FIFA's Rule 12 it states
LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT
Offences committed against goalkeepers
• It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him, e.g. at the taking of a corner kick

Under the current rules, the goal keepers are protected from even the slightest touch by oppents. Neuer had the right to go after the ball as did Higuain, but here's the catch: Neuer touched the ball first thus negating a foul or a red card and was then TOUCHED by Higuain (under the FIFA rule this is a foul by Higuain). Being the goal keeper, Neuer has every right to protect himself - this is why he lifts his knee (no ill intent was motive as you can see in the picture he is looking at the ball). As a result, a foul was given. If Neuer had first tackled Higuain THEN touched the ball or didn't even go for the call then I would not be writing this. Good call!!!!