Hinata Miyazawa | injury - broken ankle

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
23-year old Japanese midfielder has signed for United. After a stellar World Cup she had plenty of clubs chasing her signature, Liverpool and Frankfurt among others, but I’m delighted Miyazawa chose us. She joins from Japanese side MyNavi Sendai.

The rapid attacking midfielder scored five goals in the WWC, two of which came against the eventual World Champions Spain. The tally came as a surprise to many as she hadn’t been a proven goalscorer for her club, and while four goals in 20 international caps before the tournament was nothing to be ashamed of, she even said herself that she didn’t expect to score that many goals in the tournament.

Miyazawa was the last player to be dropped out of the Japan WC 2019 squad, despite having been in the squad for a year already. She was also excluded from the Tokyo Olympics squad two years later due to an injury. She’s since said that she used these disappointments as a source of motivation to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

The midfielder is a good passer with a wide of range of passing and she’s very comfortable with both feet. Her game kind of looks simple and easy as she often glides past defenders and finds her striker with inch-perfect through balls. Whoever plays in front of her should always be ready to make a run behind the line. More often than not Miyazawa will find her. She makes the game look easy but that’s all down to her balance, movement and technique on the ball.

She can definitely play deeper in the midfield as well, but to get the best out of her she should be played as an 8 or a 10. That of course raises a question about Toone’s role but I think it’s only good that we’re finally adding quality players to increase the competition for minutes. Hope this pushes Tooney to the next level too.

A decent read on Miyazawa here.

Welcome, HM!

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Miyazawa:
“I am truly very happy to be part of this wonderful family and this great team. I am really looking forward to getting started and hope my style of play will excite our fans.”

Skinner:
“Hinata joins our United family having proven her qualities at the highest level. As her Golden Boot win at this summer’s Women’s World Cup has shown, she will excite our fantastic fans with her direct style of play and her ability to find the most dangerous spaces. We cannot wait to see her develop even further within our playing squad.”

Bancroft:
“After this summer’s Women’s World Cup, Hinata’s attacking quality speaks for itself. We are thrilled to welcome her to Manchester United and to European football.”

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Nice signing for us. There's always been a question mark about our ability to mix things up in midfield when we're against strong opponents or tight defences. Hopefully she'll be able to crack that bit of the puzzle.

top1whoisman

Scout
Nice signing for us. There's always been a question mark about our ability to mix things up in midfield when we're against strong opponents or tight defences. Hopefully she'll be able to crack that bit of the puzzle.
Yeah, absolutely this. Add Cooney-Cross to the mix and we've got a very competent and deep midfield group to choose from.

RedDevilQuebecois

Nice introduction video, this! I'm really buzzing with Hinata's signing right now.

If she beds in well, I wouldn't be worried. Before she got known for the goals scored at the last WWC, she also played very well as a playmaker.

iamking

Brilliant signing. Absolutely loved her at the World Cup. Its a coup. Can't believe she will be playing for us. Brilliant player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Had a feeling we’d go in for her after how brilliant she was at the World Cup. Great signing and can only improve us.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
She looks so young in some of the videos :smirk: We know from the WWC that she's a real team player and it's interesting to hear her emphasising that. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action for us.

top1whoisman

Scout
She looks so young in some of the videos :smirk: We know from the WWC that she's a real team player and it's interesting to hear her emphasising that. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action for us.
That’s definitely a trait you see a lot with the Japan & South Korea national teams, regardless of gender. Same with individual players all around the world. You very rarely hear a bad word said of players from said nations.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
She was injured during Japan's match a couple of weeks ago. We've been waiting for an update since then. Unfortunately it's not good news - she's broken her ankle. I'll be surprised if we see her again this season. I assume we didn't want to announce it until she'd had surgery.

Demon Barber

She was injured during Japan's match a couple of weeks ago. We've been waiting for an update since then. Unfortunately it's not good news - she's broken her ankle. I'll be surprised if we see her again this season. I assume we didn't want to announce it until she'd had surgery.

Such a shame. It does say a fracture rather than a break so there is a glimmer of hope she could be back before the end of the season.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Such a shame. It does say a fracture rather than a break so there is a glimmer of hope she could be back before the end of the season.
Unfortunately breaks and fractures are the same thing - just that fracture sounds more medical.

What we don't know is the kind of fracture and how much ligament damage she sustained. It would be nice to see her back before the end of the season, but I don't think we can bank on it.

Lightbringer

That sucks :-(

So 3 of our new players got long term injuries and we wont know this season what we have in them or if they will get back in top shape. It will make planning for the future much harder.

The injury curse is strong this season!

Last edited: