Home vs Away without fans

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve noticed people talking about home vs away fixtures as though away games are still tougher than home games. Without fans. Does anyone know if the lack of fans at games has made any difference to the trend for teams to generally pick up more points at home than away? I mean, the fixtures should be equally difficult, right?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’ve noticed people talking about home vs away fixtures as though away games are still tougher than home games. Without fans. Does anyone know if the lack of fans at games has made any difference to the trend for teams to generally pick up more points at home than away? I mean, the fixtures should be equally difficult, right?
This season there are more away wins than home wins if I'm not wrong. I don't think home or away should make a difference without fans, only advantage might be travelling.

Chipper

Adulterer.
This season there are more away wins than home wins if I'm not wrong. I don't think home or away should make a difference without fans, only advantage might be travelling.
I think there's other small things that make a difference but fans is definitely the biggest, travelling probably second.

Stuff like:
Grass cut to slightly different lengths on different grounds
Any slight slope of pitch (you'd be more familiar with your home one)
Not all pitches are exactly the same size
Familiar points of reference within the stadium - Advertising hoardings/spectator gangways etc. might help you know exactly where you are for positioning
Familiar changing rooms/the home changing rooms usually being better than the away

Needham

It's even broader than that. There's the overall influence of fans attending at either game to be taken into account by some future phd. Nottingham Forest have been incontrovertibly wank since lockdown, one likely reason being a fairly voluble support's positive effect masking what was an average side playing basic football. They're not the only ones.

pacifictheme

Based on what? Brightons home fans don’t make a peep & Uniteds away ends are the best in the country.
Whenever united go away to these small teams their fans go wild. If it was Sheffield United awya at Brighton yeah, but united they all turn up and cheer. Their cup final still.

JB7

Whenever united go away to these small teams their fans go wild. If it was Sheffield United awya at Brighton yeah, but united they all turn up and cheer. Their cup final still.
I’ve been to Brighton a couple of times, their fans are shite :lol:

I think there's other small things that make a difference but fans is definitely the biggest, travelling probably second.

Stuff like:
Grass cut to slightly different lengths on different grounds
Any slight slope of pitch (you'd be more familiar with your home one)
Not all pitches are exactly the same size
Familiar points of reference within the stadium - Advertising hoardings/spectator gangways etc. might help you know exactly where you are for positioning
Familiar changing rooms/the home changing rooms usually being better than the away
Agreed. All these small factors add up and can be the difference between two teams.