Homegrown Player Quotas

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This has been a slight concern of mine for a while, and going into next season I feel like it could become a significant problem for us.

The PL and CL squads require you to have 8 homegrown players (or rather, you can only register 17 non-homegrowns). The CL in particular requires 4 'club' homegrowns and 4 'nation' homegrowns. This has never been something that United have had to worry too much about - and indeed compared with our rivals we have usually had quite a few HG players in the squad each year.

Looking at the outgoings this summer;

Jones is basically guaranteed to leave.
Maguire and Henderson very likely.
McTominay, Sancho and AWB being talked about as possibilities.
Greenwood I will assume will play no part.

Beyond the above, that leaves us basically with Rashford and Shaw (unless I am missing anyone). Its for this reason I think we will hang on to Henderson, McTominay and Sancho, and maybe look for any youngsters who are turning 21 and can/should be included in the first team squad.

Nonetheless, even in a fairly best-case scenario we are cutting things a bit tight. It wouldnt surprise me if we were looking at British players especially this summer - the likes of JWP, Maddison or Bamford who could potentially contribute on the pitch, and to the HG quotas.

Whilst we are not yet in absolute dire straits, this is an aspect we should be conscious of, especially when considering which players to move on. For example - this is one of the reasons I would strongly advocate keeping McTominay over Fred, and maybe even Maguire over Lindelof (though I think that ship has sailed now).

This has been a slight concern of mine for a while, and going into next season I feel like it could become a significant problem for us.

The PL and CL squads require you to have 8 homegrown players (or rather, you can only register 17 non-homegrowns). The CL in particular requires 4 'club' homegrowns and 4 'nation' homegrowns. This has never been something that United have had to worry too much about - and indeed compared with our rivals we have usually had quite a few HG players in the squad each year.

Beyond the above, that leaves us basically with Rashford and Shaw (unless I am missing anyone). Its for this reason I think we will hang on to Henderson, McTominay and Sancho, and maybe look for any youngsters who are turning 21 and can/should be included in the first team squad.

Nonetheless, even in a fairly best-case scenario we are cutting things a bit tight. It wouldnt surprise me if we were looking at British players especially this summer - the likes of JWP, Maddison or Bamford who could potentially contribute on the pitch, and to the HG quotas.

Whilst we are not yet in absolute dire straits, this is an aspect we should be conscious of, especially when considering which players to move on. For example - this is one of the reasons I would strongly advocate keeping McTominay over Fred, and maybe even Maguire over Lindelof (though I think that ship has sailed now).
Do the "club home growns" have to be English? For instance, could Garnacho or Amad qualify as "club home growns"?

I'm sure we could pretty easily find a 3rd string goaltender who is English to boost the numbers in the "nation homegrowns"

Don't think Sancho (will be given anothe year to prove himself) or AWB will leave ( probably Dalot)

I'm sure we could pretty easily find a 3rd string goaltender who is English to boost the numbers in the "nation homegrowns"
That's why City have been keeping Scott Carson around all these years. I'm sure Tom Heaton won't be going anywhere this summer. We'll probably sign Butland permanently as our no2 as well.

Do the "club home growns" have to be English? For instance, could Garnacho or Amad qualify as "club home growns"?

No, homegrown player do not have to be English: they have to spend three seasons at an English club before their 21st birthday (the third season could be the one during which they turn 21). Amad will qualify for the 24/25 season. Garnacho does not have to be registered as of yet because he is under 21. He turns 21 in July 2025 and if he's still at United he will qualify as homegrown then.

I posted this but not in as much detail in the "Players we want sold" thread everyone skipped over it, but this is an issue for us for sure and something to watch, it's why they'll be clubs after Mount even at a price that's high to get a player of that quality not only adds to squad but adds to the HG quota as well

Garnacho will be homegrown in a few years, Amad should fit that if he's still here in a couple of years time (I assume he'll go out on loan to a Prem club).

I expect Sancho and AWB to stay, probably Dalot to leave and us to sign Frimpong who fits the homegrown criteria. We'll almost certainly have a keeper or two there as well, so for next season:
  1. Jeremie Frimpong
  2. Tom Heaton (if option is activated)
  3. Marcus Rashford
  4. Jadon Sancho
  5. Luke Shaw
  6. Aaron Wan Bissaka
  7. Third keeper whether that be Jack Butland, Dean Henderson whatever.
  8. Obviously we're trying for Harry Kane too but have Levy to deal with.
Wouldn't be surprised if McTominay stays too, depends on offers.

United is probably the last squad I'd be worried about when it comes to meeting homegrown player quotas.

The insane and proud streak of having at least one academy player in a (league?) match day squad only confirms this 'issue' is a non-starter.

No, homegrown player do not have to be English: they have to spend three seasons at an English club before their 21st birthday (the third season could be the one during which they turn 21). Amad will qualify for the 24/25 season. Garnacho does not have to be registered as of yet because he is under 21. He turns 21 in July 2025 and if he's still at United he will qualify as homegrown then.
Thanks for the info.

Seems like the club home grown could be more of a challenge than the English home-grown. At least for now Rashford, Heaton, McTominay (and Greenwood?) are the only players I can think of who would qualify. I wonder if this could affect our decision regarding Greenwood.

Seems like the club home grown could be more of a challenge than the English home-grown.
Definitely. The Champions League squad might be a headache. And yes, it's another reason why the whole Greenwood affair is so fecking awful.

I think instead of counting homegrown you're better off looking at how close we are to maximum foreign quota.

Are any of Pellistri and Amad homegrown? That will make a difference.

Our current senior non-homegrown players

De Gea

Dalot
Lindelof
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

Fred
Casemiro
Eriksen
Bruno
VDB

Martial
Antony

That's only 13 permanent non-homegrown players currently so we're not in too bad a shape, hopefully however not sure if Amad and Pellistri may add to that eventually. That leaves us a decent amount of space for foreign signings this summer you'd think - Martial, VDB, Fred could be on the chopping block but wouldn't surprise me if they're still here next season. Not sure if Dalot or AWB will be the one sold if we do want a new right back.

It's a fair point though I don't agree with any of the signings you suggested and I still think we should be looking to move on Henderson and McTominay. I'm pretty sure even in a worst case where we fail to meet the home grown quota, we can simply submit 1 less player as part of the registered squad to get around the problem. Out of the players we seem interested in buying Kane, Frimpong and Mount would all count as home grown. Amad, Garnacho and I'm guessing Pellistri and Kovar will count as a homegrown players in the long term (as will any other youngsters that come through our academy). Shaw, Rashford, Heaton, Sancho and Shaw will be homegrown. If we get a good bid it probably makes sense to sell AWB but if not he could also be kept as a homegrown option. It does make players like Rice seem like particularly good options, but in his case he seems to have already decided to go to Arsenal. It should encourage us to start using our scouting network and focusing on our academy more than we have been in recent years to get these players in from a young age., because simply signing English players is definitely not the right strategy to take.

Yes, he spent a decade on the books of English clubs before his 21st birthday.
I am not too familiar with those rules. I thought it must be 3 years directly before turning 21 and Sancho spent them at Dortmund. Good for us if otherwise.

I am not too familiar with those rules. I thought it must be 3 years directly before turning 21 and Sancho spent them at Dortmund. Good for us if otherwise.
If they spend 3 years at an English club anytime before their 21st birthday (including if they turn 21 during their 3rd season at the club) they count as homegrown

Homegrown players should be british by all accounts and we could have a problem since ETH obviously doesnt trust them and if we dont sing somebody like Kane I predict a ridicilous influx of dutch/south american players in the future.
Dont get me wrong if a player deserves a spot in the squad he deserves it but there should be at least 12/14 british players in a 30 some squad. The italians bought the best during the 90s and kept their core and PL teams should do the same. The actual problem with our team is that we really are not buying the best foreign talent out there. The likes of Fred and Lindelof should have never been signed

Interestingly, all three of Emiliano Martinez, David Raya and Robert Sanchez are homegrown if we're going down that route for first choice goalkeeper.

List of some of the non-British homegrown players that were registered last season:
  1. Emiliano Martinez
  2. Sergi Canos
  3. David Raya
  4. Robert Sanchez
  5. Jeffrey Schlupp
  6. Asmir Begovic
  7. Ruben Vinagre
  8. Andreas Pereira
  9. Marek Rodak
  10. Pascal Struijk
  11. Kelechi Iheanacho
  12. Nathan Ake
  13. Matija Sarkic

Outside of those three goalkeepers and the obviously non-attainable Ake, there's nobody really good enough for even a squad role.

Interestingly, all three of Emiliano Martinez, David Raya and Robert Sanchez are homegrown if we're going down that route for first choice goalkeeper.

List of some of the non-British homegrown players that were registered last season:
  1. Emiliano Martinez
  2. Sergi Canos
  3. David Raya
  4. Robert Sanchez
  5. Jeffrey Schlupp
  6. Asmir Begovic
  7. Ruben Vinagre
  8. Andreas Pereira
  9. Marek Rodak
  10. Pascal Struijk
  11. Kelechi Iheanacho
  12. Nathan Ake
  13. Matija Sarkic

Outside of those three goalkeepers and the obviously non-attainable Ake, there's nobody really good enough for even a squad role.
Interesting that. Maybe we make all 3 goaltenders homegrown and then only need 5 outfield players. Still a problem getting to 4 club homegrown players. It's a shame Henderson didn't work out as first choice goaltender.

Read somewhere that Frimpong would be counted as homegrown if signed due to being at City's academy, is that right?

Not attainable, but the likes of Saliba and Martinelli will qualify as HG for Arsenal next season. If we can similarly get in early enough with good prospects (Caicedo will be another) then its definitely a route. Obviously it relies on having an actual competent scouting network though.

People completely misinterpret the homegrown rule, you don’t have to have 8 homegrown players in your squad. Our 25 man squad also included a number of players just registered to make up the numbers (Bishop, Tuanzeve, Williams) so there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Garnacho doesn’t need to be registered, we’ll have a backup keeper that’s homegrown, Rashford, Shaw, Sancho and possibly AWB. May even sign a homegrown player or two so add 17 non homegrown to that and it’s not an issue. Certainly don’t want to be retaining deadwood like Maguire or Mctominay just because they are homegrown.

Read somewhere that Frimpong would be counted as homegrown if signed due to being at City's academy, is that right?
Yes.

Not attainable, but the likes of Saliba and Martinelli will qualify as HG for Arsenal next season. If we can similarly get in early enough with good prospects (Caicedo will be another) then its definitely a route. Obviously it relies on having an actual competent scouting network though.
Caicedo went to Brighton at 19 so don't think he would count.

Interesting that. Maybe we make all 3 goaltenders homegrown and then only need 5 outfield players. Still a problem getting to 4 club homegrown players. It's a shame Henderson didn't work out as first choice goaltender.
Does Matěj Kovár count as homegrown anyone ?

Let's get more confusion. What if

A young player, born in England, has a German father, French mother, but spent 18 years in Spain, trained by Spanish Academy.

Does he qualify as English home grown player automatically due to born in England?

I know he can choose to represent Germany, France, or England, may be even Spain?

My head just hurts trying to figure out who is eligible to be what, football was never meant to be this complicated

This is very attainable. Even in FM. Unless you're playing fantasy football with 26 wonderkids, but even then your mainstay senior squad should have no problem filling the quota.

Most teams would have u21 they can register to simply fill the numbers

1. Emiliano Martinez
  2. Sergi Canos
  3. David Raya
  4. Robert Sanchez
  5. Jeffrey Schlupp
  6. Asmir Begovic
  7. Ruben Vinagre
  8. Andreas Pereira
  9. Marek Rodak
  10. Pascal Struijk
  11. Kelechi Iheanacho
  12. Nathan Ake
  13. Matija Sarkic

There's a small group of us who think Iheanacho would be do okay as a backup #9 here.

The real issue is the limit of 17 foreign (i.e. not home grown) players. We're not in any real jeopardy there (see post 13).

we are being linked with Rice, Mount, Kane so it shouldn’t be an issue if we sign one of them + players like Amad, Iqbal and Hannibal etc.

It’s why I always want the best British players - to have quality homegrown status players in a complete squad.

Neil Young recently published an old record where he covered this topic:

"Homegrown's
All right with me
Homegrown
Is the way it should be
Homegrown
Is a good thing"

Didn't know beforehand that the homegrown rule was a thing in the seventies.

A young player, born in England, has a German father, French mother, but spent 18 years in Spain, trained by Spanish Academy.

Does he qualify as English home grown player automatically due to born in England?

I know he can choose to represent Germany, France, or England, may be even Spain?

Being English doesn't make you homegrown. If this player moves to England at 19, then he doesn't count as homegrown iirc. If he moves to England at 18 and stays until 21 then he's Homegrown. I think...

1. Emiliano Martinez
  2. Sergi Canos
  3. David Raya
  4. Robert Sanchez
  5. Jeffrey Schlupp
  6. Asmir Begovic
  7. Ruben Vinagre
  8. Andreas Pereira
  9. Marek Rodak
  10. Pascal Struijk
  11. Kelechi Iheanacho
  12. Nathan Ake
  13. Matija Sarkic

Nah mate they are foreign. Homegrown should be from our academy and british and possibly irish. That is one of the reasons I never truly respcted Wengers Arsenal. Sure you play fancy football but with ALL the team being foreingers you are cut off from the locall comunnity. Like I said earlier if they are good enough they should play but there are foreign players in the PL that are just bang average while somebody like Wilshere spent a lot of his days in the second tier of english football

Being English doesn't make you homegrown. If this player moves to England at 19, then he doesn't count as homegrown iirc. If he moves to England at 18 and stays until 21 then he's Homegrown. I think...

Correct.

Eric Dier is a current example of this.

Spurs have to register him as a non homegrown player despite the fact he was born in, and plays for England because he spent his entire youth development in Portugal at Sporting Lisbon.

The simplest way to remember it is that a player must have spent three years with either an English or Welsh club before the age of 21.

The reason Welsh clubs are included is due to Welsh clubs playing in the English football league.

Last edited:

No. Erling Haaland doesn't qualify as homegrown despite being born in England and having a UK passport.