Hooligan watch (Russia 2018)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Some of you are more interested in the theoretical reasons for why nothing has happened than in the amazing experience of those reporting back from the event. Those who hunger for trouble will find it.
This.

This thread (the first page in particular) is ridiculous and a testament to how easy it is for our media to warp people's perceptions of things beyond all reasonable logic.

Reading quite a few of the posts you would think Russia is some kind of cesspit populated by racist, homophobic thugs who spend all day thinking about beating up other team's football fans and insulting black people, and the only way to control the populous is for Putin to send the boys round. As opposed to you know, just being a country, with normal people living in it.

A lot has been made of the Marseille stuff. I was there. The trouble wasn't indicative at all of how the Russian fans we met and spoke to before and after the game behaved or conducted themselves. We were also warned in Nice a couple of days before by various people that there would be trouble in Marseille. Even down to being informed, accurately, the spots where the trouble would be...which if anything says more about Marseille than it does Russian fans.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's exactly how they should be treated. Hopefully they took him in and gave him some more.
Questionable logic alert.

Sorry, but how is beating the ever-loving shite out of an unarmed man with police batons, whilst he lay on the floor curled up in a fetal position, an acceptable method of punishment for jumping on the back of a police wagon? You could argue that the police, in this instance at least, are the real hooligans in this scenario.

ghagua

Questionable logic alert.

Sorry, but how is beating the ever-loving shite out of an unarmed man with police batons, whilst he lay on the floor curled up in a fetal position, an acceptable method of punishment for jumping on the back of a police wagon? You could argue that the police, in this instance at least, are the real hooligans in this scenario.
Have you ever been surrounded by hooligans with a 7 year old sibling with you, and then had to run for your life just because you went to watch a game of football? Have you ever had people trash your car just because they felt like behaving like an animal was an acceptable behavior?

Like I said, hopefully the police took him in and gave him some more.

TheReligion

Abusive
The only hooligans this World Cup have been the English. I love you guys but wtf?

Numerous videos online of English fans rampaging streets of Russia.

A friend of mine just got a text from a girl friend. She was knocked down by an English man in Oslo just for being Swedish.

Yet, nothing on here. Nothing?!

I guess it’s fine as long as it’s coming home.

Disgrace.
Where's your videos?

You keep posting rubbish like this and trying to generalise about the English and it's very annoying. Back it up or shut up.

SER19

Where are all the tough guys that were acting hard in amsterdam and throwing piss on middle aged tourists. Sitting at home acting like tough lads because they were afraid to go to russia

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Where are all the tough guys that were acting hard in amsterdam and throwing piss on middle aged tourists. Sitting at home acting like tough lads because they were afraid to go to russia
Where's all those Russian tough guys that jumped a load of Spanish tourists and have been training with their weapons for the last few years? I have read that a lot of known English hooligans had their passports revoked or were given travel bans.

The authorities have done a good job this time around.

SER19

Right. And your point?
This is the hooligan watch thread isn’t it? And there’s been very little trouble. I’m giving my opinion why. The scum bags have predictably stayed at home when their opponent isn’t some tourists in Holland

SER19

Where's all those Russian tough guys that jumped a load of Spanish tourists and have been training with their weapons for the last few years? I have read that a lot of known English hooligans had their passports revoked or were given travel bans.

The authorities have done a good job this time around.
It’s a great difference. When the minority ruin things for the rest it’s fantastic to see them dealt with or show themselves up as the cowards they are.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is the hooligan watch thread isn’t it? And there’s been very little trouble. I’m giving my opinion why. The scum bags have predictably stayed at home when their opponent isn’t some tourists in Holland
Yeah it's not the England hooligan watch thread.

SER19

Yeah it's not the England hooligan watch thread.
I never said it was?? But pre tournament the tension between Russia and England was cited as a potential source of trouble given history and current climate. Why can nobody make a comment to do with England withiut it being seen as an insult? If anything it’s a compliment to the ones out there. The place is like the metoo movement for sensitive fans

TheReligion

Abusive
I never said it was?? But pre tournament the tension between Russia and England was cited as a potential source of trouble given history and current climate. Why can nobody make a comment to do with England withiut it being seen as an insult? If anything it’s a compliment to the ones out there. The place is like the metoo movement for sensitive fans
I just wondered why you'd specifically go on about England as opposed to talking about the lack of hooliganism on the whole which is what this thread is about?

Looking at your recent meltdowns it seems you have some kind of issue with England though so understandable.

SER19

I just wondered why you'd specifically go on about England as opposed to talking about the lack of hooliganism on the whole which is what this thread is about?

Looking at your recent meltdowns it seems you have some kind of issue with England though so understandable.
Truly bizarre logic. This is a forum for an English based club and before the tournament there was fear mongerging as usual about the English in Russia. In terms of hooliganism the only place we see it or versions of it in the media at the moment are in British towns where it seems the minority tough guys have stayed at home. Wasn’t remotely a go at England or their fans, and I don’t see it as strange to comment given what I have said and the stories in today’s media about the amount of incidents domestically. Don’t know what else to say only it blatantly wasn’t an anti England comment but yet here we go again with it being taken that way by some abstract conclusion being drawn. Genuinely nothing meant by it

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine using the fact seemingly most of our hooligans staying at home instead of going to Russia and causing trouble as a way to have a go and England. Amazing.

SER19

Imagine using the fact seemingly most of our hooligans staying at home instead of going to Russia and causing trouble as a way to have a go and England. Amazing.
Im bloody not!! How is it having a go at anybody other than the losers themselves!! For gods sake

TheReligion

Abusive
Truly bizarre logic. This is a forum for an English based club and before the tournament there was fear mongerging as usual about the English in Russia. In terms of hooliganism the only place we see it or versions of it in the media at the moment are in British towns where it seems the minority tough guys have stayed at home. Wasn’t remotely a go at England or their fans, and I don’t see it as strange to comment given what I have said and the stories in today’s media about the amount of incidents domestically. Don’t know what else to say only it blatantly wasn’t an anti England comment but yet here we go again with it being taken that way by some abstract conclusion being drawn. Genuinely nothing meant by it
Ok I'll let you off

SER19

Ok I'll let you off
Never meant it remotely as a go. I despise the losers associated with British football and am very vocal generally about showing them up as minority scumbags not some sort of fearful mob.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This.

This thread (the first page in particular) is ridiculous and a testament to how easy it is for our media to warp people's perceptions of things beyond all reasonable logic.

Reading quite a few of the posts you would think Russia is some kind of cesspit populated by racist, homophobic thugs who spend all day thinking about beating up other team's football fans and insulting black people, and the only way to control the populous is for Putin to send the boys round. As opposed to you know, just being a country, with normal people living in it.

A lot has been made of the Marseille stuff. I was there. The trouble wasn't indicative at all of how the Russian fans we met and spoke to before and after the game behaved or conducted themselves. We were also warned in Nice a couple of days before by various people that there would be trouble in Marseille. Even down to being informed, accurately, the spots where the trouble would be...which if anything says more about Marseille than it does Russian fans.
Remember when Sol Campbell was interviewed and told England fans not to travel to Ukraine in 2012 or risk death? What a load of bollocks. I feel far safer in Ukraine at night than most British cities. There's so much prejudice out there towards Eastern Europeans from the Western media, and I'm kind of glad that this tournament has been another success in terms of showing the true character of the people in that part of the world.

That said the Russian state is a very different beast. The primary reason for the lack of hooligan activity is that Putin's regime called off the dogs and told people to be on their best behaviour. Hooligan activity is far more professional than in the UK. This whole tournament has been an exercise in soft power and couldn't have gone better.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
A couple of isolated incidents aside there's been feck all aggro to date. Considering the amount of idiots here in the UK and the amount of bevy getting necked during the football it's positively serene.

I've seen an equal number of reports of really positive community stuff coming out of England's run with the likes of British Asians and white England fans celebrating together for example. Great to see.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What a tremendous tournament Russia put on for us. It was an absolute credit to them. Those peddling the lies and bullshit their propagandist media fed them should hang their head in shame.