Hot Man Utd prospect Wellbeck hits four

McGRATH LEGEND

Hot Man Utd prospect Wellbeck hits four
October 20, 2007

Exciting Manchester United prospect Richie Wellbeck struck four goals in their 7-0 thumping of West Brom U18s yesterday at Carrington.

England U17 star Wellbeck is tipped for big things at Old Trafford and produced a superb performance against the Baggies.

Also getting on the scoresheet was Italian summer signing Federico Macheda and United coach Paul McGuinness told MUTV: "That's the best we've played all season, it was a real team effort."

M160RA

Shouldn't that be Daniel Welbeck?

Anyway, great result for the youngsters!

ANWAR

Quality journalism, where's it from?
Danny is a player with huge potential. As with Febian (sadly, usually called Fabian) Brandy, I hope there is a place for him in the first team squad one day.
tribal....:rolleyes:

DevilsOwn

just read the same on the official site.. has anyone seen him play?
would be great to see a youth striker come up the ranks

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
has anyone seen him play?
www.manutd.com profile:

Danny Welbeck is a highly talented, skilful winger.

He’s been likened by Sir Alex Ferguson to former Arsenal forward Nwankwo Kanu for his manner of play.

“He’s got a smooth and languid style,” says Paul McGuinness, his coach at Under-18 level. “But don’t let that fool you, it sometimes disguises the fact that he is a really hard worker.

“Danny is a very talented and skilful player with good all-round technique. He’s strong, quick, good defensively as well as going forward, and he’s a real leader, too. He is a good personality to have around the dressing room.”

Welbeck played a prominent role in the Under-18s’ run to the FA Youth Cup final in 2006/07 when he was a schoolboy.

He’s also represented England at youth level and was called into the national team’s Under-17s squad to take part in the World Championships in Korea in summer 2007.

Away from the pitch Danny is a big music fan, but unlike most boys his age he doesn't prefer Hip Hop and R'n'B. Instead he mostly listens to piano crooners from the 70s, especially his idol - Barry Manilow. So deep is his love for the balladeer that he earlier this year became president of the English branch of Manilow's fan club.

"It keeps me pretty busy", he told theFA.com before England u17s' match against Korea, "but it's nice to have something to take my mind of football from time to time. The only problem is that I no longer have time to play shows with my band - The Many Loves. Yes, I know the name is a bit crazy, but we're a Barry Manilow tribute band so I think it fits."

The other members of the band, some 40 years Danny's senior, might not appreciate how football is taking up more and more of his time as he continues to rise through the ranks at Old Trafford. But to quote one of the hits from the 70s crooner genre so dear to Danny's heart - You Can't Keep A Good Man Down.

Decotron

He was miles ahead of any of his older peers when I first saw him play and he continues to impress as he moves through our system. The Kanu comparison is v. true. I honestly think he will replace Saha.

BezsMaracas

If you can find it have a look at his 4th goal from Saturday, the close control and finish were superb, the ball just seems to stick to his feet no matter how many players are round him.