Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
In the show she is. She’s picking up things too hot to handle and taking baths in water that is too hot from the start. But that is just ‘show Dany’.
Gotcha, for some reason I thought I remembered her being burnt a couple of times like her book counterpart, but thinking about it you're right I can't actually recall any scenes where this occurred. Guess the books and the show were mingling in my head a bit.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He could have become her personal guard without having to kill anyone (she already had his life in her hands). That murder happened just because the show runners needed someone to die in that wedding but it served no purpose at all story wise. No influence on anything. They just jumped to the future and replaced the dead guy with another random gay lover.
No. The show is based on a huge section in Martin's Fire and Blood. They are following GRRM's story and it has nothing to do with the "show runners" making a decision. Martin is heavily involved in this show and their creative decisions are following the storyline as he wrote it.

"Nothing alike" - or is this some weird piss take of yours?
Yeah, he's just trolling. Probably the worst post in the entire thread. They easily look like sisters to me and I found the new Alicent quite convincing as an older version myself.

Why would clubfoot dude betray his brother and father like that? Just so he could become lord of Harrenhal? Completely non-sensical. Same with several bandits being able to sneak into a foreign castle with non-existent security and kill a supposedly badass knight. If we’re supposed to suspend our disbelief that much, then literally everything is on the table including Rhaenyra growing a cock and becoming king.

Also, three childbirth scenes in one season seems lazy and excessive. Oh, and aren’t the Targs immune to fire? How’d the dragon burn Daemon’s wife to death?

Did enjoy the boys fighting scene though. But even then, there were inconsistencies. How’d the burly knight put his hands on the prince and escape any punishment? Same when he gave Criston a taste of his own wedding beatdown. Thought the Kingsguard were untouchables?
No they aren't immune at all. Only Daenerys and that was why she had the named the Unburnt. But not even Aegon the Conqueror was immune to fire.

You can tell who has/hasn’t read the books from the comments in here. And it’s lazy writing to expect viewers to read the source material to fill in any blanks. The narrative should be 100% based on what we see on the screen.
I haven't read any of this storyline in the book and find it quite easy to follow.

Last edited:

Sylar

BTW, weve seen a rat (maybe the same one) several times around the King. Is there any significance to that?

cafecillos

I found myself enjoying the episode more than I should have. There are some plot points/devices that would be unthinkable in GoT seasons 1-4 (no consequences at all, it seems, for Criston, who is also an absolute caricature and hasn't aged a day; the lack of subtlety when showing who sent the criminals to kill the hand and his son, etc), but I think it's much better than the worse parts of GoT. Also, I thought the new Rhaenyra is as good as the younger one, if not better. I'm not bothered in the slightest about their actual resemblance, though. If that bothered me I guess I'd see it differently. It's funny though that some characters "required" a recast and others didn't even need a bit of make-up.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
BTW, weve seen a rat (maybe the same one) several times around the King. Is there any significance to that?
We’ve seen several actually, including rooting around the dragon skull. They could be
symbolic of people bleeding the power of the Targ family or spymasters, or
the maesters eating away at the power of the dragons.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I found myself enjoying the episode more than I should have. There are some plot points/devices that would be unthinkable in GoT seasons 1-4 (no consequences at all, it seems, for Criston, who is also an absolute caricature and hasn't aged a day; the lack of subtlety when showing who sent the criminals to kill the hand and his son, etc), but I think it's much better than the worse parts of GoT. Also, I thought the new Rhaenyra is as good as the younger one, if not better. I'm not bothered in the slightest about their actual resemblance, though. If that bothered me I guess I'd see it differently. It's funny though that some characters "required" a recast and others didn't even need a bit of make-up.
There is no logical reason there would be consequences for Criston because no one in power wanted any consequences. Alicent wanted an ally who owes her a favor, the king just wanted to marry off Rhaenyra and move on, and Corlys was likely pleased with the end result as he still believed Laenor would grow out of it as he bluntly stated earlier in the episode.

It's completely logical inside Martin's world. Prior to this show, you had Maegor the Cruel who used his dragon to burn down an entire Sept and all the innocents inside. And much later, in GoT, you had the Mad King who would burn people at his whim. In a might makes right world like this one, you need power to force consequences. The Baratheon-Stark rebellion eventually forced consequences on the Mad King but here, no one in power cares to force consequences on a member of the Kingsguard for Joffrey Lonmouth.

cafecillos

Nah, I disagree, you're hosting a pre-wedding reception with most VIPs in Westeros attending, and there's an extremely violent murder in the ball room. The message could very well be that not even the very house of the king is safe.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think it could be Larys Strong skinchanged. It would explain why he's such a good spymaster - and skinchanging is an ability tied to the First Men, which would include House Strong. Plus there's the proximity of the God's Eye to Harrenhal.

lilcurt

In the words of Shaun Of The Dead, he's got an arm off!

He fainted; it did look as though he *might* have died but people faint all the time and go on to live. Who knows what his affliction is.
He is meant to be suffering from leprosy which makes sense. In terms of him fainting in the previous episode, like many illnesses people are worse some days than others. In the latest episode it is also portrayed that he does far less now and has more rest which would give the impression of not struggling as much.

Sylar

I think potentially it could be
Sauron
:lol: fantastic. I've read the other thread recently to see people's thoughts as well so well timed

We’ve seen several actually, including rooting around the dragon skull. They could be
symbolic of people bleeding the power of the Targ family or spymasters, or
the maesters eating away at the power of the dragons.
That makes sense. I remember seeing one at the wedding at the end too

It's Brann Stark isn't it? Little rat faced cnut.
I think it could be Larys Strong skinchanged. It would explain why he's such a good spymaster - and skinchanging is an ability tied to the First Men, which would include House Strong. Plus there's the proximity of the God's Eye to Harrenhal.
Based on this I like your theory @TheMagicFoolBus especially with magic being strong around this time

Robertd0803

This is a minor quibble but I thought the original Daario was a lot better. Stood out both with his mannerisms and appearance, I thought the second guy was just kinda dull
Original Dario had to have all his lines dubbed if I remember rightly which probably was great fun for the poor production team.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Some Reddit users have a feckin weird dragon fetish, "she's so beautiful" "she stole the scene" "I love her" it's a feckin CGI dragon you basement dwelling freaks.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
These text walls of book justufications for what is one of the most superficial, empty shows is serious coping.

I saw Ser Criston described elsewhere as a Disney Prince born into the wrong universe and thought it summed up the vacuity perfectly.

The dragon riding special effects look like those used in the ant riding scenes in Honey I Shrunk The Kids back in the 80s.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Nah, I disagree, you're hosting a pre-wedding reception with most VIPs in Westeros attending, and there's an extremely violent murder in the ball room. The message could very well be that not even the very house of the king is safe.
Maybe but who would really care when many would understand the subtext and not feel unsafe? If House Baratheon took issue with one of their bannermen's kids being slain, the crown would just give them a hundred cows or something to pay them off. It's not the first time things like that happened and it wouldn't be the last. Again, its a might makes right world and no one with power would care about Lonmouth.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wasn’t really into it.

I don’t mind a time jump and a change of characters but at least be consistent. They made Viserys look older, changed the actors for all the teenage characters but left Daemon, Cole etc looking the exact same? It was weird, but, mainly the problem is that it felt like a bit of a reset after the show had really picked up steam in the last two episodes.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think the single biggest problem for me is there isnt a single character I feel any interest in. The characters just seem bland and lacking depth. Milly Alcocks character had become interesting but her character now has an almost total reset, she seems to have lost her sassyness and free spirt. After the first couple of episodes I thought the show seemed pretty beige, then it got interesting but this last episode its just gone back to beige. I mentioned it before, Ive been watching GOT from the start again, Im 3 episodes in and the writing, characters and story are just light years better than this.

Sylar

GoT had more 'main characters' to follow. This one has about five or six but I think the addition of the kids is a good thing

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
GoT had more 'main characters' to follow. This one has about five or six but I think the addition of the kids is a good thing
[/QUOTE

Hopefully the kids characters can add some dimension to the show with a bit more variety in the characters, for the most part everyone seems miserable.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Daemon and rhaenerya are gonna finally get it on and she's gonna have his kid. It'll be seen as a velayron kid with full white hair though.

Also think ser Cristan is faking it, and is still in love with rhaenerya. And the kids are actually potentially his, and theyve used howen (that his name?) as cover, ultimately costing his life.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Didn't mind the time-jump too much, it was expected when they announced the different actors. However, I think they should've done one more episode with a shorter jump given how much drama there was at the end of the last episode. Surprised Viserys has lasted this long!

Is there a reason the other son was willing to kill his father & brother without any remorse?! It's not like they were treating him like shit (like Tywin/Cersei with Tyrion).
Yeah I don’t think the reason why the guy killed his dad and brother was well explained. Unless we’re missing context from the book? But surely his dad as the hand of the king and his brother as the queens husband would be more favourable than serving a queen not even aware of his bad deeds etc.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you don't pay much attention in general you might be fooled by the superficial dressing of the two Queens. If you've actually properly looked at a face or understand the basics of head construction then there is little here to convince.

Face shape, hairline, brow arch and angle, shape of nose, nostrils, eye angle, lid size and socket depth, forehead and side planes, are all out of whack.

They are both slim, fair, brunettes in makeup. That's enough for some but not if you have any sense of how faces are constructed.

Not that it really matters in relation to the show but it's an odd inconsistency that requires some adjusting to given that it feels like unnecessary tinkering. You just need to forget the other actor existed because they won't blend in the mind.
Wtf :lol:

Fully Fledged

This and Rings of Power have completely different problems. Rings of Power is so slow it's like watching a glacier move through a mountain pass. While Hot D runs through time so fast that you don't resolution from one episode to the next. They are both a mess that leaves you not really caring about what is happening but for completely different reasons.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This and Rings of Power have completely different problems. Rings of Power is so slow it's like watching a glacier move through a mountain pass. While Hot D runs through time so fast that you don't resolution from one episode to the next. They are both a mess that leaves you not really caring about what is happening but for completely different reasons.
House of the Dragon at least knows what it is and bathes in it. It's Game of Thrones warped into hectic version. Some may like it, some definitely won't. Targaryans are f*cked up, so the show is exactly like that.

Rings of Power doesn't even know which material to follow and there's no bigger stakes since majority of characters survive by default. It's somewhat enjoyable mess, a guilty pleasure, which keeps throwing something nice here and there.

Both watchable imo and while first season still going, there's a chance it will get better.

Sylar

Daemon and rhaenerya are gonna finally get it on and she's gonna have his kid. It'll be seen as a velayron kid with full white hair though.

Also think ser Cristan is faking it, and is still in love with rhaenerya. And the kids are actually potentially his, and theyve used howen (that his name?) as cover, ultimately costing his life.
didnt the kids have a mark on their head that made it obvious they were Harwins kids? Thats why Queen Alicent checked

Yeah I don’t think the reason why the guy killed his dad and brother was well explained. Unless we’re missing context from the book? But surely his dad as the hand of the king and his brother as the queens husband would be more favourable than serving a queen not even aware of his bad deeds etc.
Yeah agreed with that. Unless I missed something from a previous episode that showed he was jealous of his brother and he made a comment that his dad hated him cos hes a cripple or similar.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
didnt the kids have a mark on their head that made it obvious they were Harwins kids? Thats why Queen Alicent checked
It's not a mark, it's their hair and skin colour. They don't know much about genetics but there are virtually no examples of pure-blooded Valyrians without the trademark silver blonde hair.