Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Meh, was alright
  • Exact opposite of what many complained about in early to mid seasons of GoT with the slow pacing (which I didn't mind). This was like 5 episodes in 1.
  • Did the Hand (Hightower dude) really whore his daughter out to the King?
  • When the King talks to the daughter at the end showing her the dagger, was he referencing the white walkers?
Gonna go out on a limb and say 2 out of the 4 will happen:
  1. Brother kills the King
  2. Uncle sleeps with the named heir
  3. Hightower daughter sleeps with the uncle
  4. Named heir sleeps with the Hightower daughter

)_(

Meh, was alright
  • Exact opposite of what many complained about in early to mid seasons of GoT with the slow pacing (which I didn't mind). This was like 5 episodes in 1.
  • Did the Hand (Hightower dude) really whore his daughter out to the King?
  • When the King talks to the daughter at the end showing her the dagger, was he referencing the white walkers?
Theyre trying to cover a couple decades in one season so pacing might be an issue.
Yes.
Yes.

)_(

Couple decades? :lol: Can't wait for the non-aging complaints to start rolling in
Tbf one is between the opening scene with the council and then the next time you see everyone its 8 years (?) into Viserys' reign then there's a time jump mid way through the seasons where the actors for Rhaenyra and Alicent are switched out. But in between all that there's also a lot of passage of time. So the pacing might be an issue but assuming they'll get a second season this shouldn't be a problem anymore because there's no need for any time leaps anymore.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Not sure what lgbt rights have to do with this convo but ok. Who knew that gay and black people existing is activism.
It's a good thing Velaryons arent Targaryens then. There is no question of legitimacy everyone knows, just cause they're pretending its not the case doesn't mean anything. I mean ffs, the kids all have brown hair when the parents are Valyrian blond. And sits perfectly fine with 99% of the fans, just not the racists.
I'm not aware of the GoT lore, so I don't really have a knowledge on Valyrian/Targaryan ethnicities. My point is that the actors should be cast based on whether they're correct for the part. That is including their race. And in my previous reply to you There's an excerpt from the showrunner saying they didn't want more white people on the show. I think that's just misguided white guilt type of idiocy.

edit: I added LGBTQ because you can see the same sort of projecting on some TV/Movies as well. There's always some unnecessary, stand-out, in your face dialogue projecting a character's sexuality, instead of letting it come up naturally. A good example of how it's properly done is is Stranger Things, where Will Byer's character is revealed to be gay, but it's done very subtly

siw2007

Absolutely adored that first episode. The story that’s been set is intriguing, it was brutal, sleezy and at times distressing. Hope that it continues to be strong throughout the season and doesn’t fall apart like the latter Thrones episodes.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Enjoyed it too. Story is setting up some conflict from the start. It looks amazing and some nice nods to GOT too.

Giggzy P

If GRRM wanted the Targaryens black then he should have made them black. Unfortunately he didn't. Instead he made them of a certain characteristics which tend to be recessive. That means that if Corlys is black then his children would be black and if Rhaenyra's children from her first husband are not black then its evident that they aren't his. The rumours surrounding Rhaenyra's children being bastards was a bone of contention of why they shouldn't rule Westeros. If they happened to be white then that's perfect evidence that they are indeed bastards. Not to forget that the Velaryons and the Targaryens tend to mix quite regularly. So their appearance by now shouldn't be as pale as snow either.

Also note the Velaryons aren't exactly role models at the time. Corlys was close to rebel against the Targaryens and was bribing his way to have his son appointed heir to the IT. He was succeeded by his 'grandson' who was officially his son's bastard which is quite ironic considering that Laenor was gay. Some say that he was actually Corys' son not Laenor's which means that he had betrayed Rhaenys, one of the nicest persons living during the dance. As said Laenor was gay and was derided by half the kingdom behind his back because of it. Meanwhile his wife Rhaenyra slept with half the kingdom. Is this the sort of family you want as role model to the black community?

In my opinion there are way better characters for the black community then the Velaryons.
Well his mistakes doesn't testify to that. As you perfectly highlighted Rhaenys hair kind of shit on GOT big time and had turned Ned/jon into fools. There can be Baratheons with non black hair after all
Hi my devilish mate. I don't get you complaint.
You have an issue with black actors playing in a fictional role which has no specific race? I mean the story has dragons, and IMO there isn't any white, black etc race in It, its all made up.
So i don't get the "appropriate characters" for black people in your post.
This is all make belief right?

I would get a complaint about say, if Idris Elba played Kennedy in a movie, but I don't get the appropriate roles for us in a make belief world with no race called back or white.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ah feck, is it a one episode a week jobby?

Balls, was hoping they all got released at once and I could just gorge.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Otto Hightower is Lord's Hightower younger brother and is hand of the king. As a minor brother he'd probably had less pressure to marry a Highborn and since he's a Hightower (who rule over Oldtown the second biggest port in all of Westeros) the guy would probably be able to marry whoever he wanted. In fact GRRM couldn't be bothered to give us any details about Otto's wife. Thus it wouldn't be ridiculous to presume that Otto had married a black woman either from outside Westeros or a Sandy Dornish woman (an Uller or a Qorgyle ). After all they aren't exactly that far away from Oldtown and they are quite frightening families to be enemies off. If that's the case Alicent Hightower could be black as well.

Alicent is soon to become Viserys I second wife. She would have 4 children including the rightful king Aegon II and Aemond who would end up riding the last of the conqueror's dragons and the second most powerful dragon the Targaryens had ever had aka Vhagar. Regarding inconsistencies in the lore, well there would be none. Otto/Alicent line will extinguish itself long before Aerys, Danny and co were born.
FFS, that spoiler should be titled book spoiler :mad:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
FFS, that spoiler should be titled book spoiler :mad:
happy now? Jeez I made it in spoilers and I hinted it here

I would have had zero concern about having black people in the story IF it was done in an intelligent way which would make sense to the Lore. Hell, I can come out with a scenario were half the Targaryen family would be black without breaking the lore.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There is no book spoilers warning in the thread and as said I covered it with the spoiler tag
TV threads
- any and all information from the original source material e.g. book or graphic novel must be in a separate thread. This sort of material must never be posted in a thread about the TV version, even if spoilered, and failure to comply will result in an infraction.

devilish

TV threads
- any and all information from the original source material e.g. book or graphic novel must be in a separate thread. This sort of material must never be posted in a thread about the TV version, even if spoilered, and failure to comply will result in an infraction.
Didn't knew that. In that case I apologise and I delete the post

devilish

Was edited in the spoiler thread way back due to the original GoT book goons.
Look it was a genuine mistake. I believed that it was on a thread per thread basis and tbf I took the extra precaution to cover it in a spoiler tag. I

However I understand if I get punished for it.

Last edited:

)_(

All the drama about spoilers on this forum, just don't click a spoiler tag that clearly from context isn't gonna be about what just happened on the show.

devilish

All the drama about spoilers on this forum, just don't click a spoiler tag that clearly from context isn't gonna be about what just happened on the show.
Thanks for your support

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Strong start, second half was very good.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I thought it was good. Interesting characters, good acting (Viserys especially) and looks fantastic as always.

Daemon's armour is fecking class, similar to all the art and cosplays you see of Rhaegar's.

Only negative was the dragons looked a bit dodgy.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Wasn’t getting into it in the first half but the second half was good. The production quality is very good but just feel its a slight notch below the original series. And Idk why but the atmosphere we’re used to of the GOT series is not quite there yet. Hopefully, it builds up that atmosphere as the series goes along and gets better.
That's because the sets and everything is just way too clean. No dust, no shit and piss scurrying all over the streets... modern shitty way to do things.

Compare this with a show like "Rome" or even the first seasons of GoT. You could feel yourself transported into those ancient times...

devilish

I thought it was good. Interesting characters, good acting (Viserys especially) and looks fantastic as always.

Daemon's armour is fecking class, similar to all the art and cosplays you see of Rhaegar's.

Only negative was the dragons looked a bit dodgy.
Viserys was top notch. Daemon less so and the weakest of the bunch.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wasn’t sure about Paddy as Viserys at first as he didn’t strike me as a Targ king, but that made sense by the end. It’s funny about the guy playing Daemon as some people loathe him and others love him, sort of like his real character.

Otto Hightower was cast well I think. As was ‘the Queen who never was’ who has good screen presence, or maybe I just have a cougar crush on her I don’t know…

)_(

I wasn’t sure about Paddy as Viserys at first as he didn’t strike me as a Targ king, but that made sense by the end. It’s funny about the guy playing Daemon as some people loathe him and others love him, sort of like his real character.

Otto Hightower was cast well I think. As was ‘the Queen who never was’ who has good screen presence, or maybe I just have a cougar crush on her I don’t know…
I really enjoyed Viserys tbh... heavy is the head that wears the crown but daemon was right about what he said about him in the end which the scene with Aemma really showed imo. That was really poignant. I also liked Daemon adding a bit of levity in the council scenes though I don't think there'll be much levity going forward.

Also enjoyed Rhaenys and Corlys at the tourney, little looks etc that kinda establishes their relationship in a simple way. Feels weird to say this but I really loved the funeral scene.

I think they also really shows how prophecy and people's interpretations of them can feck up a lot of things. Though I'm not sure if that's what most people took from it reading comments on the internet.

devilish

Thought so too. Slightly panto villain.
The actor is not suited for the role. He's too dignified and regal for it. Daemon is a rebel without a cause who constantly lives on the edge. He is an oberyn martell on steroids