How are coaching staff contracts handled?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
discussion of David moyes replacing the coaching staff with his own men had me thinking.

How was he allowed to do that by the board? Is this something that's discussed with potential new managers? Are they given the freedom to choose their own staff and the club then pay for them? If so, how much do you reckon they earn?

Also, are they guys usually contracted until a new manager comes in or is it similar to player contracts where they're signed for a couple years and then can choose to renew?

Anyone with any insight?

Last edited:

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
discussion of David moyes replacing the coaching staff with his own men had me thinking.

How was he allowed to do that by the board? Is this something that's discussed with potential new managers? Are they given the freedom to choose their own staff and the club then pay for them? If so, how much do you reckon they earn?

Also, are they guys usually contracted until a new manager comes in or is it similar to player contracts where they're signed for a couple years and then can choose to renew?

Anyone with any insight?
Depends on the status of the manager / head coach I suspect.

But many of them tend to have their own staff, like when Jürgen Klopp left us for instance, he took his 2 coaches with him - both of whom he’d brought with him from Mainz.
Then when Tuchel came to dortmund, he brought Arno Michels with him from Mainz. And he’s since gone to PSG as well.

Bit different with Lucien favre, he brough one coach with him, but Dortmund themselves appointed the other assistant.

Then to answer the question - they will all be on the same contracts - so when the head coach signs a contract or contract extension, then his assistants do to. If the head coach is sacked - then usually it just means they all go - and the club would have to pay them all off. No idea on how much assistants earn, considerably less than head coaches though of course!

Goalie coaches seem to be a different situation normally - they often tend to stick with clubs rather than go with a head coach.