How badly do you want Bellingham ?

Son

If we can sign Gakpo, Bellingham and a backup right winger for example that would be amazing. Will the club do it? Probably not if there is a budget.

Who knows though if you can get a cheap right winger and Gakpo is a decent fee too.

I prefer the profile of a playmaker like De Jong but it’s plain as day De Jong wouldn’t be the right profile of person our club wants. Bellingham I feel would be as he’d be joining for the right reasons. Making a step up not sad he’s leaving his “dream club” and potentially damaged goods morale wise.

quirkey

Of course I want him, he is one of the top young midfielders in Europe. In my opinion some on here saying different are worried they will have to eat humble pie when he inevitably doesn’t sign for us as we are not coming at this transfer in a position of strength at this time.

Even at £100m he is probably going to be a mainstay in midfield for the next ten years, so roughly £10m a year. I’d agree that I would prefer a Oshimen/Lautaro for that money but if money wasn’t a factor then he’s going to make our team better imo.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

A nice signing but no where near the most desperate I’ve been for a player.

Avoid the drama and get Tielsman on a free.

CM

Not much. A striker should be number one priority and even if we did sign a midfielder Bellingham wouldn't be top of my list.

dal

Couldnt care less he’d probably turn out like Sancho.

Drizzle

A nice signing but no where near the most desperate I’ve been for a player.

Avoid the drama and get Tielsman on a free.
Tielemans is a quarter of the player Bellingham is.

That said, if we're going to get fleeced and pay huge money for a player next summer (and we are), then it better be for a top class striker. I'd just hope we could do better than Tielemans for the midfield (yes I know he scored a banger yesterday).

zaafi

He is a good player, Bellingham is a special player who is 7 years younger and is arguably having a better season whilst being seen as his teams main man. It’s not even a comparison.
What makes Bellingham so special to you? To me it seems like people overhype him because he can do it all, but to a certain degree. That and his strength for his age makes it seem like some think he's going to progress linearly but that's not how it works for every football talent in the world. Sure, he might go on to become great, but I don't think he will become one of the best midfielders. Worse passing accuracy than Fred and he plays in a much weaker and slower league as well.

And why you laugh at the notion of Anguissa being better than Bellingham, I don't understand, because Anguissa has been absolutely immense this season.

Andy_Cole

Tielemans is a quarter of the player Bellingham is.

That said, if we're going to get fleeced and pay huge money for a player next summer (and we are), then it better be for a top class striker. I'd just hope we could do better than Tielemans for the midfield (yes I know he scored a banger yesterday).
A quarter is harsh. I’m sure people probably said similar things about Zaha vs Sancho before he came here for example.

But yes I’m in the same camp. Pay the money for a striker. Number one importance for us.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
No thanks, not at that price and certainly not at the expense of a first choice striker. It will suck if he goes to one of our rivals but we need to be smarter with our money, as well as buying the best striker available to us we also need a back up right back and possibly a goalkeeper.

Abraxas

Not that badly if I'm honest. He's a very good young midfielder, I think most clubs would like him in their squad. But that's a different thing to thinking we should go to Dortmund and lay down a massive bag of cash. I still think he has a fair way to go, I don't see him making a massive immediate impact for us.

Giggsy13

Wan Bissaka has been injured. He surely hasn't dropped so far from a 50m signing ever present, to not even being able to cover occasionally?
I doubt we'll be able to ship him for even half of that.
Let’s wait and see if Wan Bissaka is actually capable of playing in ten Hag’s system. He doesn’t strike me as a modern full back.

lex talionis

Not that badly. A top striker is more important.
Pretty much this.

IF Martial lived up to his potential scoring for fun, we could look at Bellingham for depth in midfield, eventually taking over for Eriksen. But…we need a proper 9 above all else.

Poborksy96

Would love him, but expect we'll get gazumped by City or another top club in Europe. A decent season and Champions League would give us a better chance though

Rojow

I'm sick with the transfer sagas we have almost all summers. Every year we have one player were we waste a lot of time trying to get a deal and instead, we make panic buys at the end of the window.

I don't understand how a muppet brain works.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
When was the last time a player came from Dortmund to the PL and was successful?

Hargreaves was a fantastic player, but injuries did for his career.

Kagawa, who I found to be an absolute joy to watch, sadly flopped. Never really got back to his best after he left United.

Mkhitaryan was terrible, we managed to offload to Arsenal without losing any money. He was shit everywhere he went from United onwards.

Sancho, well at least we got a discount on Dortmund's exorbitant valuation, when we finally brought him. He's only shown flashes of what we thought he was going to bring and looks to be another flop.

I guess Haaland has bucked the trend, but he was only ever going to be transient at Dortmund.

And for the above reasons, regarding Bellingham, I'm out.

MUFC OK

Genuinely don’t think we can afford him. Real Madrid or more likely Pool will sign him.

MUFC OK

We can't afford him, but Liverpool can? :lol::houllier:
From an ffp perspective we will struggle according to the report today. Pretty sure that doesn’t apply to them and assuming we are talking in 2023 I’m pretty sure they will have the funds..

Camilo

Well he's nothing special, so, a bit I guess? Would be a daft signing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Probably would turn out like Sancho.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
When was the last time a player came from Dortmund to the PL and was successful?

Kagawa, who I found to be an absolute joy to watch, sadly flopped. Never really got back to his best after he left United.

Mkhitaryan was terrible, we managed to offload to Arsenal without losing any money. He was shit everywhere he went from United onwards.

Sancho, well at least we got a discount on Dortmund's exorbitant valuation, when we finally brought him. He's only shown flashes of what we thought he was going to bring and looks to be another flop.

I guess Haaland has bucked the trend, but he was only ever going to be transient at Dortmund.

Hargreaves was signed from Bayern.

But yeah, generally players signed from German clubs have been flops. Gundogan and Håaland are the only ones I can think of.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Hargreaves came from Bayern.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Hargreaves played for Bayern, mate.

spiriticon

The fact that he plays for Dortmund is putting me off.

Something about their style that doesn't fit us.

Hargreaves was signed from Bayern.

But yeah, generally players signed from German clubs have been flops. Gundogan and Håaland are the only ones I can think of.
Son, Sane, Konate and Firmino too from the Bundesliga in recent times have been brilliant.

JustKatie

Very much a "meh" from me.

He's clearly a good player but I don't see him as being a major puzzle piece for us and with the price he'll cost, it's a "meh" unless they decided somehow to sell him for £40M

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Son, Sane, Konate and Firmino too from the Bundesliga in recent times have been brilliant.
I'll give you the others, but Konate?

But for every son there are players like Havertz and Werner.