How concerned should we be about Rashford's form?

bondsname

This isn't a knee jerk reaction, we should be worried. This guy is an amazing human being but they way he is playing isn't acceptable. He is wearing the number 10 shirt ffs, at this rate I'd give the number 57 or something.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's probably subconsciously playing further away from the defenders so he doesn't get clattered. I'd say he's got a bit of post injury PTSD and he's now getting in space where he can turn and not get clattered into his back.

Maybe they've told him he needs to protect it just in case? Either way he's not playing anywhere near like before.
Could definitely be a factor. Heard that those particular injuries are really bad at healing properly too.

Paxi

This isn't a knee jerk reaction, we should be worried. This guy is an amazing human being but they way he is playing isn't acceptable. He is wearing the number 10 shirt ffs, at this rate I'd give the number 57 or something.
What point are you trying to make?

wolvored

I would drop him and play James from the left as he is better from there. Give him a good rest and see if it improves him. for all we know he may be carrying an injury.

RashyForPM

Fergie used to constantly send key players off mid-season on holidays to reinvigorate them, such as Keane, Schmeichel etc. However, most of those players had more than able backups who could do the job better than our current “stars”, and in the scenario their backups were average players, Fergie would just make them good with his man-management skills as if it was magic. Unfortunately, we can’t do that with Rashford as his deputies are poor and Ole isn’t making James or Ighalo good players anytime soon.

Sancho is such a must that it is unreal.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm just not sure we should only play a forward on the left wing. He needs competition for his spot. I'd not be averse to having a left-footed winger at the club.

But yes, he's not found any form since he came back from injury.

In better times Rashford would have been used sensibly and looked after while making the step up from the youth system to the first team.

Instead he was expected to carry the team from the age of 19. The club have not looked after him properly since his break through.

Culminating last season when he endured a broken back and should really have been rested through the lockdown games (if we had a proper squad).

Looks like United are about to do the same to Greenwood...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's easy to forget that his top form makes him a massive threat, as his down form is as mediocre as anyone in the league.

Hoof the ball

For the record, Rashford is usually muted in games versus opposition who deny him any space. This is nothing new. An impressive purple patch doesn't change that either.

1. He has to find a way to be more of a threat off-the-ball
2. Ole needs a better coaching setup to get the players making positive movements to open up space for him

Paxi

Form isn't the issue. It's the fact he looks a completely different player. Doesn't sprint, doesn't take players on.
Agreed. There’s something deeper rooted than his form or from his off-field activities just in case anyone goes there.

siw2007

didn’t think he was that bad today, drifted in the 2nd half a little bit. Think it will take him a while to get back to his best, he has lost the momentum he built up, he is maybe still getting over the injury physically and mentally.

From a tactical point of view, Rashford is getting the ball when Shaw is bombing on or in advanced positions, at this point he isn’t allowed to take players on as there is no full back cover. The style of play has changed somewhat from the start of last season which might not get the best out of him anymore.

Pav1878

Have said it before. He's v good when he wants to be but he needs to show more aggression and desire.

He needs to go back to being that young, explosive player who burst onto the scene. He ambles about like he is prime Cristiano now and I have a bad feeling he is starting to believe his hype.

I have always thought he was overrated, a very good player yes, but no Mbappe level, like some in the media were suggesting.

If Sancho does come, he drops to the bench for me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know what is happening with him. I am not worried with lack of goals and assists but his touch, movement, technique...all went straight to shit. He can't make a simple pass. And season just started. Not looking good.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
His outside interests are commendable, but I’d say that maybe it could wait until after his career is done.
He is way off form and needs to knuckle down
VERY!
Football or politics. Time to make up his mind!
Am not sure if these are meant as 'banter', but if not, they are very silly.
Footballers are free all afternoon and evenings: he has more than enough time in his days to devote a few hours a week to these activities.
The only other thing he'd be doing is playing FIFA or such with Sancho!

It's not the first time it's happened, so it's not entirely down to the injury. If hes not got space to run into hes always been fairly ineffective and we are playing too slowly at the moment, so defenders are able to cut off any space he might have.

vidic blood & sand

Am not sure if these are meant as 'banter', but if not, they are very silly.
Footballers are free all afternoon and evenings: he has more than enough time in his days to devote a few hours a week to these activities.
The only other thing he'd be doing is playing FIFA or such with Sancho!
Stupid response.
It's not the time we're concerned about, it's the mental and emotional investment that could affect his concentration.

peridigm

Form isn't the issue. It's the fact he looks a completely different player. Doesn't sprint, doesn't take players on.
He tries to take players on but ends up dribbling into their shins or being stripped of the ball very easily. Martial does the same a lot of times. Both very rarely dribble to get past the defender and score. You would expect more of this from our forward players.

At the moment, Rashord is Dan James wearing the #10 shirt.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jadon is needed. He'll keep the forward line on their toes.

Irwin99

He's still a young player that will have bad patches now and then. Was atrocious at the beginning of last season too as a main striker, especially when Martial was injured. He'll go on a good run soon enough.

youngrell

It’s a confidence issue IMO. Whether it’s confidence in his physical condition post injury or his recent form remains to be seen.

I believe it’s the former because previously I would say he played with a bit too much confidence, frustratingly shooting from ridiculous range, constantly running at defenders even when the odds were stacked against him, trying to take all the free kicks etc.

His current performances are in stark contrast, which leads me to believe it’s a mental issue surrounding his back.

Crashoutcassius

For whatever reason - back, confidence, complacency - he literally walks through every match. A passenger. Our forward options are so bad that there's just no competition, but at this point it might be addition by subtraction.

4-4-2 diamond next game with Greenwood and Martial up front.
or..... the club just sign an attacker so we have more than 3? why should ole bend a formation that had us in incredible form for 6 months... club needs to provide players

Wolverine

Rashford is not consistent enough, worse yet he's an absolute liability when off form. Tries to do too much, breaks down attacks with poor choices and gets his head down way too easily when things aren't going well. He has had spells where he's great and is clearly talented, just need to do things simply. I'd drop him too at this point but he won't be dropped, hope he can kick on though and rediscover some form.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I get a lot of abuse on here for the past 3 months talking about how shockingly bad he has regressed as a footballer.
  • Strolls around the pitch like he's got 500 career goals and 15 years under his belt
  • No courage or adventure - he's now basically a fancy James with the way he avoids channels and acts as a rebounding pass-back wall in possession
  • Has eliminated any variation in striking technique. He chooses a knuckleball for a pass, cross, corner, cross-field pass, shot at all times. No float, cut, spin or finesse. This is very concerning because it tells us he's really struggling with his body.
  • Looks like he's 30 something with the way he takes players on. No sharpness, agility, or creativity with his footwork.
As a physio myself it looks like he's really struggling with his back. It may not be causing him pain directly but he looks like he's lost that athletic strong core of his. Constantly looks like he's leaning back and stiff as a board. Doesn't want to twist and load that back at all with sudden movements. We see that a lot with spondylolisthesis.

For the 100th time in the past 2 months, I say DROP HIM. Drop him ffs. Let Greenwood step in until Rashford figures out a way to play with his new back.

He's probably subconsciously playing further away from the defenders so he doesn't get clattered. I'd say he's got a bit of post injury PTSD and he's now getting in space where he can turn and not get clattered into his back.

Maybe they've told him he needs to protect it just in case? Either way he's not playing anywhere near like before.
I agree with this. Exactly what i'm seeing. Before the injury he would receive the ball and go straight at the full back. Post injury he seems hesitant and scared to make the same kind of movement.

Lee565

He's creeping into lingard territory. He has been awful since he got injured.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Doesn't hold a candle to Phil Jones, the greatest human ever.

BSSM

How concerned should we be the answer is massive. Since we came back after lock down his performance has been very poor. It was the same tonight but more worrying is so I everybody else. Tonight was a shambles of a team.