How did Juventus become so dominant in Italy?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They were in Serie B after that scandal and somehow still managed to become an absolute dominant force in Italy.

Why couldn't AC Milan achieve that? Or Inter Milan after their four or five consecutive title wins in the late 2000s?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
AC Milan self-destructed because their success is tied to Berlusconi a lot and since Silvio went down

Inter Milan was at the end of their cycle and just went down

Juventus was quite strong before going down, they kept their structure and built very well, they also use the Bayern strategy of buying solid players from the Serie A when the other top teams were down

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
AC Milan self-destructed because their success is tied to Berlusconi a lot and since Silvio went down

Inter Milan was at the end of their cycle and just went down

Juventus was quite strong before going down, they kept their structure and built very well, they also use the Bayern strategy of buying solid players from the Serie A when the other top teams were down
Shouldn't Inter have had an advantage here?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
They have a far larger fan base in Italy than their rivals. And Antonio Conte.

BlahRules

Juventus did not become dominant straightaway. They bought a lot of dud players and was always around top 3-4 spot.

When Conte took over and gave them the best defense in the world is when started their dominance.

Jericho

They also sign almost every 7-8/10 player going on the market.The likes of Khedira, Can, Ramsey, Rabiot, Cuadrado, Douglas Cost, Pjanic. etc, players other top teams might turn their noses up at. Some work out, some don't. But enough of them usually work out.

Skills

Snitch
Inter's failure at not fully capitalising on their dominant position

manutddjw

Some good reasons listed, one that hasn't been listed which I think played a huge part was PSG raided Serie A first and foremost. Thiago Silva, Zlatan, Marquinhos, Lavezzi, Pastore and Cavani were all top players in their respective teams which weakened Juventus' competition all the while where Conte and Juventus were strengthening their squad which PSG didn't touch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Some good reasons listed, one that hasn't been listed which I think played a huge part was PSG raided Serie A first and foremost. Thiago Silva, Zlatan, Marquinhos, Lavezzi, Pastore and Cavani were all top players in their respective teams which weakened Juventus' competition all the while where Conte and Juventus were strengthening their squad which PSG didn't touch.
But shouldn't Inter and AC Milan have bought the players that Juve were after? Surely they were in a financially stronger position.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Shouldn't Inter have had an advantage here?
I think Inter after winning that treble were done, they won it with their last effort and the team crashed after that, Maybe Morrati lost interest after winning the treble
They tried some shoddy rebuild with new young players, Then the coaching carousel hasnt helped

manutddjw

But shouldn't Inter and AC Milan have bought the players that Juve were after? Surely they were in a financially stronger position.
Going off memory on this. Didn't Inter have financial problems because they went all in to finance Mourinho's run? With AC Milan, I would assume that a kid like Pogba and some random Chilean midfielder from Germany wasn't the type of signing they were after. They let Pirlo go and those 3 were a huge reason why Juventus made it back to the top.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Before Calcicopoli, Juventus was strong

Calcicopoli was in 2005/06, for eleven seasons before that, From 1995/96 Juve won 6 titles, Lazio 1, Roma 1, Milan 3.

So they just continued from where they have been only that Milan that challenged occasionally lost it, Lazio could no longer sustain the huge wages and expensive players that won the league

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Before Calciopoli, Inter hadn’t won a title since 1989.

2006-2010 was the exception, not the rule.

Juve have pretty much always been the best club in Italy.

In Europe however, Milan have that extra spark that Juve lack.

Irwin99

Juventus were always seen as the biggest Italian team when I was a kid. I think that, like us, they've underachieved in Europe for a club their size but they're probably always been seen as the team to play for in Italy. Not even the relegation scandal took that away from them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Juventus have lost the most CL finals in the history of the competition.

edcunited1878

The building of the stadium was a first in Italy, the fact that Juve owned and operated their own stadium...i.e. they controlled all the revenue generated from it. Think that was back in 2011.

AC Milan and Inter have to share the San Siro, the revenues associated with the stadium, and is owned by the Milan City Council. So yeah...follow the money.

The building of the stadium was a first in Italy, the fact that Juve owned and operated their own stadium...i.e. they controlled all the revenue generated from it. Think that was back in 2011.

AC Milan and Inter have to share the San Siro, the revenues associated with the stadium, and is owned by the Milan City Council. So yeah...follow the money.
This is the main reason. They have owned their own stadium since 2002, until recently every other club rented from their city councils, and even now only a handful have their own.

The Agnelli family also helps when their main rivals have had such unstable ownership recently.

edcunited1878

They also have a good partnership with adidas and probably make the most licensing royalty fees in Serie A with respect to merchandise.

If you haven't seen the documentary on HBO called "Agnelli", highly recommend as it shows how influential that family and Fiat is to the club.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Like others mentioned their ressurgance is due to their new stadium. The other big teams in Italy have to share a stadium, can't control the revenue etc.

Also they seem way ahead on marketing, and their football department seems smarter too. Yes they have more money, but they seem better at appointing managers and scouting. Inter and Milan have spent away a lot of their cash in bad signings.

Strelok

Like others mentioned their ressurgance is due to their new stadium. The other big teams in Italy have to share a stadium, can't control the revenue etc.

Also they seem way ahead on marketing, and their football department seems smarter too. Yes they have more money, but they seem better at appointing managers and scouting. Inter and Milan have spent away a lot of their cash in bad signings.
Pretty much this.

I have some friends who watch Serie A a lot and they said Juventus came back to dominance largely thanked to their innovation.

Italian clubs were depended heavily to money from their owners, they were still run like in their 90s. Once that dried up most clubs were in big trouble. However Juventus was the first to innovate. They own their stadium. They had a huge revenue came from commercials, shirt sales and TV deals. This along with extremely smart transfer strategy made them basically the only well and modernly run club in the Serie A.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
There are a few significant factors behind their dominance, methinks...

Luck/fortuna/kismet: probably the most important consideration of all as it's elusive and unquantifiable. Juventus were lucky in the sense that Marotta/Paratici stuck around as a combination for so long instead of one of them seeking newer pastures like Jean-Claude Blanc, that Buffon committed himself to the club, that Milan had a falling out with Pirlo (who was in many ways the on-field architect of Juventus' rise), that Barzagli worked out so well despite being a bargain bin signing, that Tévez fell into their lap and performed like a man possessed, that no other major clubs pursued Vidal with a lot of determination, that Pogba was out of a contract at United and so forth. A lot of planning went behind this, yes — it was by no means pure coincidence, but they were exceptionally lucky with regard to player acquisition and retention — whereas the decision-making at both Milan and Internazionale was horrid, and to make matters worse they just couldn't catch a break.

Consistency of ownership and “vision”: Juventus have benefited from major decision-makers pulling in the same direction ever since Andrea Agnelli assumed a more prominent role (Blanc, Marotta, Paratici, Nedvěd all learned to get along for the most part). The ownership and vision at Milan has been much more inconsistent in comparison — it was no longer the apple of Silvio's eye and Barbara Berlusconi's vision was to cut cost and asset strip (like selling Ibrahimović and Thiago to Paris Saint-Germain), then you had the Li Yonghong misadventure, and now Elliott Management. Constant change of direction/priorities, revolving door at the managerial/directorial position(s) after Allegri — hardly the recipe for success or consolidation. Internazionale has similar-ish issues, albeit not as profound, and they have been getting their act together in recent years (including the acquisition of Marotta and Conte, who were key protagonists of Juventus' ascent). A lot of ingredients are in place for them to test Juventus' dominance in the near future.

Organisational ethos, mentality, history of success and sensible decision-making: Juventus had won 25 Serie A titles from the inception of the league to the start of the current cycle (vs. 16 for Internazionale and 15 for Milan). Since the '70s to the start of the current cycle, Juventus have won almost twice as many Serie A titles as Internazionale and Milan combined: 14 vs. 17. They have almost always been a dominant force in the Italian domestic scene, made good decisions with two empires under Trapattoni and Lippi, and Milan and Internazionale's penchant for self-sabotage in recent years has totally cleared the field for them (apart from minor uprisings by the likes of Napoli or Roma that were easily brushed aside because of the sheer difference in capabilities between the institutions). If there's one club you'd trust to bounce back and enter a renewed period of success in Italy, it's Juventus because of their exceptional track record and footballing acumen.

Revenues: a bit like United in the early '90s, Juventus entered a period of sustained success at just the right time, capitalized on opportunities to expand all their revenue streams (collective rights is an issue that affects every Italian team but continued Champions League broadcasting and Allianz Stadium revenue really set them apart), and made the brand much more visible (which attracted a better class of sponsors/associates). Even after Calciopoli (when Internazionale was about to peak), they were either only slightly behind Internazionale/Milan or in a position to actually go toe-to-toe with the domestic competition. e.g. 2009 Deloitte Money League:

And once they started regrouping, they wasted no time in building a considerable lead (further fueled by Milan and Internazionale's diminishing status).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If one ignores calciopoli, Juventus had always worked on having an efficient/effective club built on meritocracy. During the Serie A golden age when everyone was busy buying the latest flashy player, Juventus were working hard to become as financially independent from their owner as possible. That was achieved by hiring people who actually understood football, selling their top players in their prime and invest heavily on youth players, their scouting net and on their relationship with smaller clubs who developed some of the best local talents around. They weren't immune to certain controversial decisions. While Milan, Lazio, Roma and Inter were busy buying flashy players, Juventus didn't shy from selling their own top players. Baggio and Zidane were among those sold. That gave the space and money needed to invest on young talent such as Del Piero, Buffon and Nedved.

When Juventus were relegated everyone believed that it was all over. Juventus took a financial hit, many players left and on top of that the triade was dismantled. What many underestimated was that the structure the triade left behind was still in place. Juventus were able to retain some of their stars (ex Del Piero and Buffon) and use a mix of youths + cheap signings their made to go back on top. By that time the credit crunch and an increase in football expenses was hitting home with Berlusconi and Moratti reducing such expenses while working hard to find a way out. Juventus was in perfect financial position to exploit that. They did what they always do ie hiring people who actually understand football and thanks to the likes of Marotta and Paratici they were on top. Today Juventus is the richest club in Italy one of the very few who own their stadium. They had worked hard in merchandising and sponsorship which gives them an edge on anyone else in the Serie A

However a storm is gathering. Their obsession with the CL lead to some bad transfer decisions (ex spending crazy money on Higuian and Ronaldo). Meanwhile others are adapting with Inter taking Marotta away and Milan bringing in Rangnick. I think that Juventus dominance is set to be challenged in the next 3-4 years.

Pretty much this.

I have some friends who watch Serie A a lot and they said Juventus came back to dominance largely thanked to their innovation.

Italian clubs were depended heavily to money from their owners, they were still run like in their 90s. Once that dried up most clubs were in big trouble. However Juventus was the first to innovate. They own their stadium. They had a huge revenue came from commercials, shirt sales and TV deals. This along with extremely smart transfer strategy made them basically the only well and modernly run club in the Serie A.
I don't know if i'd call it innovation. Most clubs want to own their own stadium but their city wont let them. I don't know why, maybe through the Agnelli influence, but Turin allowed them to buy theirs. Even today both Milan teams are arguing with the city council about being allowed to build their own.

padzilla

Hipster
They have always had a policy of never signing star players at the peak of their careers because the argument is their egos will unsettle the dressing room and they won't be able to perform as well at a new club. They've always went after up and coming talent or more established players who have shown they fit into the team ethic. They famously turned down the chance to sign the Brazilian Ronaldo in the 90s feeling he would upset the apple cart and the gains would be short. Ironically they threw their tried and trusted recruitment out the window to sign his Portuguese namesake.

padzilla

Hipster
I think Juventus have lost the most CL finals in the history of the competition.
It's an interesting one - would you rather be there or thereabouts regularly or having a good record in finals but only getting there once every 10-15 years?

Strelok

I don't know if i'd call it innovation. Most clubs want to own their own stadium but their city wont let them. I don't know why, maybe through the Agnelli influence, but Turin allowed them to buy theirs. Even today both Milan teams are arguing with the city council about being allowed to build their own.
I think it's all about money. You'd need a huge sum to buy and build a stadium. I don't know much about the Milan brothers but I'd doubt they'd have that much money. It's hundres of millions.

Plus their innovation is not just the stadium but more how the club is run. The business model, marketing strategy, transfer strategy, etc. I'm no expert but that's what I've heard.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thy struggled at the start, constant 7th places finishes and poor signings like Krasic, Diego etc.

Apart of it in my opinion is that the two Milan clubs both seemingly collapsed and there was not another’s club who had the mental toughness to win the league (Napoli, Roma, Lazio).

They’ve recruited very well, signing Tevez put them in a world class category again

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's an interesting one - would you rather be there or thereabouts regularly or having a good record in finals but only getting there once every 10-15 years?
Like @Irwin99 said, they’re probably comparable to us in that their European successes do not match their domestic dominance.

We have 3 CLs and 2 final losses. Juventus have 2 CLs and 7 final losses... In the circumstances I think I’d take our record over theirs. Would you?

I think it's all about money. You'd need a huge sum to buy and build a stadium. I don't know much about the Milan brothers but I'd doubt they'd have that much money. It's hundres of millions.

Plus their innovation is not just the stadium but more how the club is run. The business model, marketing strategy, transfer strategy, etc. I'm no expert but that's what I've heard.
Juventus paid €25 million for the Stadio delle Alpi. I struggle to see how that was market value.

The innovation is definitely there now but it all started with the stadium. Up to that point they were a trio with Inter and Milan but they've left them way behind since that happened.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They have always had a policy of never signing star players at the peak of their careers because the argument is their egos will unsettle the dressing room and they won't be able to perform as well at a new club. They've always went after up and coming talent or more established players who have shown they fit into the team ethic. They famously turned down the chance to sign the Brazilian Ronaldo in the 90s feeling he would upset the apple cart and the gains would be short. Ironically they threw their tried and trusted recruitment out the window to sign his Portuguese namesake.
Wouldn't C.Ronaldo be someone who fits into the team ethic? Ronaldo is in his mid-30s and declining even though he's still a fantastic player.

paulscholes18

Conte came in and went with a back 3 and signed Pirlo, Vidal, Lichsteiner & Vucinic which helped transform Juve from a team that finished 7th to a team that went the season unbeaten, and they haven’t looked back since, always continuing to sign players as good or better than players in their starting XI

Champagne Football

Juventus have always picked outstanding managers. Conte and Alegri were the best Italy had to offer at the time.

Once Juventus got back to Serie A in 2007, they were skint, so they developed a policy of signing free transfers and bargains, and stuck with that policy, while spending heavily once the money came rolling back in. Spending 90M on Higuain being one of their less inspiring transfer deals.

Their list of free transfers signed in the past 10 years is impressive
-Cannavaro, Pirlo, Pogba, Lucio, Fernando Llorente, Khedira, Dani Alves, Emre Can, Aaron Ramsey, Rabiot.

Some of their bargain buys included Vidal for 10M, Tevez for 10M, Chiellini 7M. Evra 1M, Douglas Costa 7M,

Marchisio being a rare home grown talent developed from their youth system.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Conte.

They have also signed incredibly well over last decade. Helps they had that core of Buffon with BBC infront and also Pirlo so built around that very well in the 11-15 period.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Juventus were always seen as the biggest Italian team when I was a kid. I think that, like us, they've underachieved in Europe for a club their size but they're probably always been seen as the team to play for in Italy. Not even the relegation scandal took that away from them.
Juve in recent years seem to have morphed into the Man. United of Fergie's last few seasons. Lots of width and also a quality striker who can pop up with a goal but don't tend to dominate games like they did in 11-15 period when they had the fantastic Pirlo--Vidal-Pogba midfield.

They still are in opposition minds though with all the late goals they score and they win the games v title rivals they need to win, especially at home. Always seem to come on very strong in the second half of the season for the title run in.

They've been like Atletico Madrid over last five years in CL. Excellent runs but denied by peak Barca or Real Madrid team. Last season was a missed opportunity though considering they got a score draw in Amsterdam.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
They don't count in the history books anymore of course, but I remember the 2 Juve-Milan title races in 2005 and 2006 were pretty exciting and high quality battles.

The only time that I remember Juve losing a close battle for the Scudetto in my lifetime was in 2000, when they had a 2 point lead going into the final day of the season, but famously saw their hopes (literally) washed away in Perugia and were leapfrogged by Lazio.

Strelok

Juventus paid €25 million for the Stadio delle Alpi. I struggle to see how that was market value.

The innovation is definitely there now but it all started with the stadium. Up to that point they were a trio with Inter and Milan but they've left them way behind since that happened.
Yes but they spent another €155 million to demolish it and built a new one.

Sorry I run out of my daily quote and couldn't reply you yesterday.