How do you cope when a player you have an agenda against plays well?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's quite annoying when the player you've been slagging off decides to start playing well and makes you look a tit.

How do you deal with this?

Do you double down, stay silent or concede that you were wrong?

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
Realizing its just a game for your entertainment, played and owned by people who dont care about you, and it shouldnt impact your emotions outside of the 90 minutes really helps for me.

Reactions: Sultan

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Just don’t have agendas in the first place. If I’m going to slate a player it will be based on a performance I have observed first hand.

If I am going to suggest they are not good enough for the club I’ll have to have seen several of these performances over a period of time.

A good example is Lingard. I don’t think he’s good enough having seen far too many sub par performances but if he does a good job (like when he came on recently) I’ll give credit where it’s due.

If Lingard suddenly turned around and performed regularly at a high level of course I’d change my mind and accept that the situation is now not as I first observed.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just don’t have agendas in the first place. If I’m going to slate a player it will be based on a performance I have observed first hand.

If I am going to suggest they are not good enough for the club I’ll have to have seen several of these performances over a period of time.

A good example is Lingard. I don’t think he’s good enough having seen far too many sub par performances but if he does a good job (like when he came on recently) I’ll give credit where it’s due.

If Lingard suddenly turned around and performed regularly at a high level of course I’d change my mind and accept that the situation is now not as I first observed.
Impossible!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"I wasn't wrong, he just changed!"

flappyjay

It's quite annoying when the player you've been slagging off decides to start playing well and makes you look a tit.

I get happy to be proven wrong. When McTominay was playing well I was so glad, same goes for Lindelof ( I know a lot of people don't rate him) but he isn't as trash as I thought he was.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
"I wasn't wrong, he just changed!"
Which is a legitimate point of view to hold depending on the player. For players like Martial I’d say get fecked you were wrong.

But for example I don’t believe I’m wrong on Lingard at the moment. It’s not an agenda but I don’t see him turning it around. He’s not shown nearly enough and seeing Bruno play his role only solidifies my view.

However if Lingard suddenly turned into a world class player that wouldn’t mean 2017-2020 Lingard was performing good enough.

I think agendas are an issue when people have the mentality of waiting on the next bad performance to slate them rather than operating on a call it as it is, not as you’d expect/like. The Martial thread has become a joke for this.

MadMike

Also you can pretend you never did while furiously modifying old posts.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I try not to be too set against any player, particularly United players. However relatively recently I declared myself 'done' with Shaw (how did he cope?) and have now had to revise that opinion in light of him proving his fitness and that he can stay disciplined on the pitch.

I'm now officially 'done' with De Gea so if he'd like to prove me wrong with a run of world class form that would be great.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Most of my agendas (De gea) are mainly due to disappointment. I’ve said it for awhile that’s he isn’t good enough. I’d be delighted to be proven wrong and he recovers the form he used to have.

I think I praised him after a recent game

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Took about 10 years for me to finally accept Sneijder to be a good player.

Hated him when he played for Ajax, when he played well for Holland I first put it down to luck. Later it was the system, but when he and Robben carried us to the 2010 final, I started to appreciate him.

In his older days (not very old but he aged fast), he was again playing well when in 2014 Robben carried us to the 3rd place, that is when I actually started to like him.

We talk about the 'big 4' here (Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie and Van Der Vaart). Obviously Robben is the 'biggest' of the 'big 4' but I've definitely accepted Sneijder to be one of them.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I have been saying since 2012 that Lewandowski is a tap in merchant.

I am starting to consider the possibility of having been wrong on that.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Pretend that you were slagging him off behind his back in order to help him all along. Assert wisely that had your harsh words found their way to the player’s ears, he would have shown contrition for his poor performances which would have in turn caused him to start working twice as hard to prove you wrong. And, that there are no reasons to believe that is not what exactly happened.

KennyBurner

Only good answer here is you DOUBLE DOWN!!! We go until the end.