How far away from the first team is Wellbeck?

Jens' Face

An Arse
I was a little surprised to see Campbell starting ahead of him against Newcastle.

I probably shouldn't have been and I know Campbell's older -- but I'm not a Utd supporter, I get all of my information from RedCafe, and my impression was that Wellbeck was simply better.

So what is the situation vis-a-vis those two? Does Campbell's start mean that Wellbeck is firmly and officially behind him? What will Fergie do? What would you do?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was a little surprised to see Campbell starting ahead of him against Newcastle.

I probably shouldn't have been and I know Campbell's older -- but I'm not a Utd supporter, I get all of my information from RedCafe, and my impression was that Wellbeck was simply better.

So what is the situation vis-a-vis those two? Does Campbell's start mean that Wellbeck is firmly and officially behind him? What will Fergie do? What would you do?
Welbeck is about 3 years younger than Cambell and hasn't had a spell out on loan. Cambell is much further advance, in terms of development, than Welbeck but Welbeck has greater potential.

As for what is going to happen to him, he is currently injured, so I think he might stay put for now. I reckon he will be sent out on loan soon though, either at Christmas, or next summer.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Welbeck is about 3 years younger than Cambell and hasn't had a spell out on loan. Cambell is much further advance, in terms of development, than Welbeck but Welbeck has greater potential.

As for what is going to happen to him, he is currently injured, so I think he might stay put for now. I reckon he will be sent out on loan soon though, either at Christmas, or next summer.
This. Except I'm not sure about the loan bit. He has an odd style of play that wouldn't suit the Championship and I think he might be better served developing with us.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
We're a bit lacking in the young winger department, so it would be welcome if Welbeck or Brandy could do a job on the flanks at some stage. Maybe Brady or Fabio as well.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

If he's better then Campbell he'll get in the side regardless of him not having been on loan

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

TBF Welbeck is currently inured and is only about 18. He has ages to get into the side. Campbell is the one who is ready for the big time now.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Welbeck has the talent I think but he´s not physically ready, he struggled for a while when he first started playing for the reserves because he wasn´t as dominant physically as he had been in the U-18´s. He was getting better towards the end of the season but he´s still not ready for first team football, despite his talent. He needs a full season in the reserves, with the occasional Carling Cup game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've been more impressed by what I've seen of Welbeck then of Campbell
Welbeck might have impressed you with his potential but Campbell is the better player, as it stands.

Which might explain why he's just had an excellent season in the Championship, after scoring shit-loads of goals for the reserves while Welbeck has... er... played a few games for the reserves.

FFS, you're hard work sometimes, you know that?

PS18

Wouldn't surprise me if Welbeck skipped the 'loan stage'. Fraizer's the better player now but I wouldn't personally say there's a huge amount in it. Welbeck undeniably the more talented as well.